British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Singapore (https://britishexpats.com/forum/singapore-131/)
-   -   Doing an internship in Singapore (https://britishexpats.com/forum/singapore-131/doing-internship-singapore-908166/)

sultanoflondon Jan 19th 2018 11:28 am

Doing an internship in Singapore

Hi all,

Am considering doing an internship in Singapore this coming summer. Before I go through the process of recruitment, I want to understand the immigration requirements for this.

As I understand it, I could use either the Training Work Permit (TWP) for foreign trainees, or the Work Holiday Programme for students and young graduates to work and holiday in Singapore. Is this correct?

As I see it, the main advantage of using the latter is that I can apply for it and get it myself and not the employer. As a result, it would be more likely that I get an internship in Singapore because I would represent less hassle to them.

Can anyone shed any light on this issue?

RedApe Jan 22nd 2018 3:15 pm

Re: Doing an internship in Singapore

Is it a paid, or volunteer, internship. And what country are you from (UK)? Work/Study Visas generally have specific stipulations and are based upon the joint agreement of Singapore and the other nation.

sultanoflondon Jan 23rd 2018 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by RedApe (Post 12424645)
Is it a paid, or volunteer, internship. And what country are you from (UK)? Work/Study Visas generally have specific stipulations and are based upon the joint agreement of Singapore and the other nation.

It would either be all expenses paid only, or paid. Would not be entirely volunteering.

From UK 💯.

sayang Jan 24th 2018 5:00 am

WHP for sure. Note that only 2,000 are issued at any one time

amy23 Jan 24th 2018 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by sultanoflondon (Post 12422470)
Hi all,

Am considering doing an internship in Singapore this coming summer. Before I go through the process of recruitment, I want to understand the immigration requirements for this.

As I understand it, I could use either the Training Work Permit (TWP) for foreign trainees, or the Work Holiday Programme for students and young graduates to work and holiday in Singapore. Is this correct?

As I see it, the main advantage of using the latter is that I can apply for it and get it myself and not the employer. As a result, it would be more likely that I get an internship in Singapore because I would represent less hassle to them.

Can anyone shed any light on this issue?

Depends on the type of internship paid or not. There some requirements for paid internships. It also depends on your passeport...

sultanoflondon Jan 24th 2018 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by sayang (Post 12426173)
WHP for sure. Note that only 2,000 are issued at any one time

Great. Thank you!

Originally Posted by amy23 (Post 12426598)
Depends on the type of internship paid or not. There some requirements for paid internships. It also depends on your passeport...

UK passport, full clean and no issues (to my knowledge!)

Internship would likely be unpaid or expenses paid only.