Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Does Singapore fit the bill?

Does Singapore fit the bill?

Old Nov 10th 2006, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

rizwan_fareed will become famous soon enough
Default Does Singapore fit the bill?

I am looking to move out of the UK and started making a list of things which i regard as necessary. These are

1. low crime rate
2. Good quality of life
3. Good education for the kids
4. Enough pay for me to come back to the UK and be able to spend like I spend now...

Singapore seems like it fits the bill..Anyone one else situated in singapore at the moment? One of my questions is just how expensive how house prices over there, say for a 2-3 bedroom place?

This seems like the only sticking point.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does Singapore fit the bill?

Originally Posted by rizwan_fareed
I am looking to move out of the UK and started making a list of things which i regard as necessary. These are

1. low crime rate
2. Good quality of life
3. Good education for the kids
4. Enough pay for me to come back to the UK and be able to spend like I spend now...

Singapore seems like it fits the bill..Anyone one else situated in singapore at the moment? One of my questions is just how expensive how house prices over there, say for a 2-3 bedroom place?

This seems like the only sticking point.

Thanks in advance.
I would say don't even think about buying a house. Much too expensive and not worth it as an investment either.
Same with apartments, unless you buy the really really top end and spend say one million quid on it.
Timeframe obviously comes into both but the Singapore house, apartment sales market has been nothing like the UK market for nearly ten years.

Rent really is best now even though you may look at it as money down the drain.

OTOH if you are looking to buy a really nice apartment at the right price I have one you might want to consider
Old Nov 10th 2006, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ex reg
I would say don't even think about buying a house. Much too expensive and not worth it as an investment either.
Same with apartments, unless you buy the really really top end and spend say one million quid on it.
Timeframe obviously comes into both but the Singapore house, apartment sales market has been nothing like the UK market for nearly ten years.

Rent really is best now even though you may look at it as money down the drain.

OTOH if you are looking to buy a really nice apartment at the right price I have one you might want to consider
What about a reasonable house? not a very pricy one but just reasonable?

Thanks for the info by the way.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Have just come back from spending a week with an Aussie friend in Singapore.

She pays S$50,000pa for schooling 3 boys (primary) at the Aussie school.

She pays rent of S$7500 pm for a 7 bedroom house. Was empty for six months before they took it on. Originally landlord wanted S$10,000 pm.

Think I recall her saying that a similar house to buy would cost S$1m+.

Cost of an expat club membership (eg Hollandise Club) S$10,000 pa.

HTH
Old Nov 10th 2006, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure but someone will be along to give you an exact figure but 500,000 quid wouldn't be far off the mark. And houses at that price are generally packed a lot closer together here than they are in the UK.

I know of a bungalow on about 2500 square feet of land which needs pulling down and rebuilding which is asking 200,000 quid.
We looked at it as we really liked the area but decided against buying.
That was a year ago and it's still for sale at that price and the owner won't drop his asking price.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 7:23 am
Just Joined

BasilBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

buying property is not a common choice for expats here, although if you were staying long term that may be different.

condo living is more popular here, pool, play area etc. Its a different life style to suburban uk but the tax situation here makes it a good plan for a few years (or more)for some people.

We live in singapore and i would say we are better off both finanically and for quality of life but not everyone shares the same view.
Certainly spending money here is a national pasttime and it could be easy to splash out if you wanted.
Our rent is more than home but thats by choice - we have a much nicer plac here.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Thanks

Would you say you felt safer in singapore as opposed to the UK?
Old Nov 10th 2006, 8:32 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

I havent lived i Singapore but have visited friends there. I like it. But its not cheap. I dont think the crime is that bad.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks

Would you say you felt safer in singapore as opposed to the UK?

Singapore is safe, but not as safe as some people would like you to think.

But it's so much safer than UK as to be off the scale.

But there are rooles to obey and you'd better obey them.
But that's no problem for most people.
In fact I can't think of one of these rooles that upsets me. I like them, it makes it a nicer place to live IMO.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 10:32 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

rooles

Did you mean, rules?
Old Nov 12th 2006, 6:03 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rizwan, the above posters are correct in that most of us rent, unless we're in it for the long run. Even then, it's not so common as it's often not a good investment. There are also strict rules on what foreigners can buy.

Singpaore is a great place to live, an easy place ("Beginner's Asia", "The Air-conditioned Nation", "Disneyland with the Death Penalty", etc.) once you get used to its little quirks but I have to ask - before you got to your four point list, did you secure yourself a job and Employment Pass? Not always that easy. Would you expect to come on an expat or local contract? We're "local" and we have a good life despite paying our own bills.

I'm happy to try to help with any of your questions.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 3:50 am
Just Joined

rajeshsangeetha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Seasider
Hi Rizwan, the above posters are correct in that most of us rent, unless we're in it for the long run. Even then, it's not so common as it's often not a good investment. There are also strict rules on what foreigners can buy.

Singpaore is a great place to live, an easy place ("Beginner's Asia", "The Air-conditioned Nation", "Disneyland with the Death Penalty", etc.) once you get used to its little quirks but I have to ask - before you got to your four point list, did you secure yourself a job and Employment Pass? Not always that easy. Would you expect to come on an expat or local contract? We're "local" and we have a good life despite paying our own bills.

I'm happy to try to help with any of your questions.

Hi there
I've been here for about a year plus, on a local contract, but have a great lifestyle. You would need to ask your company what things they will provide. I've a question for Seasider, can locals afford sound education to their kids in good international schools considering that the top schools charge exhorbitantly paving the way only for ''expats'' on ''expat terms'' to afford it? Thanks.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

in that case, may i ask what would be termed an acceptable salary to live comfortably on per month?
Old Nov 13th 2006, 7:23 am
Just Joined

rajeshsangeetha is an unknown quantity at this point

in that case, may i ask what would be termed an acceptable salary to live comfortably on per month?
Hi there, Rizwan
I am afraid I can't answer that question so directly: what may be acceptable for me may not be for you. Having said that, there are a few parameters such as house rental, services, and other payouts. Again, are you alone or with a family? House rentals can be anywhere from 31/2k to upwards of 10k in central Singapore. The uilities could cost you $300 if you're a good user. Kids education is expensive if your company isn't providing (I would put the figure at about 20k + in the top international schools for one kid). Then there're so many other things like groceries, eating out, club membership ( if you're intd), and the list goes on. Of course, buying a car is expensive -- many expats don't buy, as cabbing is the culture. Let me know if anything else.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rajeshsangeetha
Hi there, Rizwan
I am afraid I can't answer that question so directly: what may be acceptable for me may not be for you. Having said that, there are a few parameters such as house rental, services, and other payouts. Again, are you alone or with a family? House rentals can be anywhere from 31/2k to upwards of 10k in central Singapore. The uilities could cost you $300 if you're a good user. Kids education is expensive if your company isn't providing (I would put the figure at about 20k + in the top international schools for one kid). Then there're so many other things like groceries, eating out, club membership ( if you're intd), and the list goes on. Of course, buying a car is expensive -- many expats don't buy, as cabbing is the culture. Let me know if anything else.
Thanks Rajesh.

My company has a strong prescence in Singapore and it will be fairly easy to get an internal transfer. I'm a process engineer in the oil and gas field and there are loads of vacancies in singapore at the moment....Alternatively maybe i should leave the company and go as an expat...not sure really....

I may go there just for a visit with the family just to travel and see the world...My final destination is malaysia but i would like to spend some time in singapore first....

Thanks for the help. Any other questions i'll give you a shout.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.