Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

cost of Singapore compared to London

cost of Singapore compared to London

Old May 4th 2010, 1:14 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: cost of Singapore compared to London

Originally Posted by wowoweee

with 66k sgd anually, you can and will live a very good life. that is above average wage for singaporeans.
You omitted the fact that Singaporeans get subsidies which expats - with the exception of PRs - don't eg. for HDB apartments, CPF, hospital fees, maids (reduction of the levy).

How many Singaporeans do you know who live on their own? Most live in extended family units and it's common for young couples to live with parents/in-laws/grandparents ....as far as I'm aware single people are rarely allocated their own HDB apartment and the cost is prohibitive to buy a private flat.

As for local public schools - although 'foreign' pupils may be admitted, it is hardly encouraged and will be at the bottom of the pecking order for school choice. How many ang mohs have you seen attending the local schools?

Also remember that Singaporeans are 'in the know' about where to get the best bargains, cheapest produce (oh yes, ang mohs are charged higher prices at the wet markets and I've experienced this myself). New arrivals typically will not have a clue where to scout out these things....they don't have any relatives on hand to pool resources.

Sure, a single expat can 'get by' on S$66k but it won't be a salubrious lifestyle, most people are happy enough to live frugally for a year or two, but it would soon get tiresome.
Old May 4th 2010, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cost of Singapore compared to London

Originally Posted by No 15
It certainly IS NOT! $2000.00 Sing/Lon/Sing compared with 670.00 sterling Lon/Sing/Lon

Are you looking at a carrier like Emirates where you have to stop over for at least 8 hours? Not my idea of fun stopping in Dubai.
personally I like the Dubai stopover. breaks up the long flight and I've never had to wait more than 2 hours in Dubai
Old May 4th 2010, 11:38 am
Banned

wowoweee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Englishmum
You omitted the fact that Singaporeans get subsidies which expats - with the exception of PRs - don't eg. for HDB apartments, CPF, hospital fees, maids (reduction of the levy).

How many Singaporeans do you know who live on their own? Most live in extended family units and it's common for young couples to live with parents/in-laws/grandparents ....as far as I'm aware single people are rarely allocated their own HDB apartment and the cost is prohibitive to buy a private flat.

As for local public schools - although 'foreign' pupils may be admitted, it is hardly encouraged and will be at the bottom of the pecking order for school choice. How many ang mohs have you seen attending the local schools?

Also remember that Singaporeans are 'in the know' about where to get the best bargains, cheapest produce (oh yes, ang mohs are charged higher prices at the wet markets and I've experienced this myself). New arrivals typically will not have a clue where to scout out these things....they don't have any relatives on hand to pool resources.

Sure, a single expat can 'get by' on S$66k but it won't be a salubrious lifestyle, most people are happy enough to live frugally for a year or two, but it would soon get tiresome.
What do you mean by "salubrious lifestyle"? Fine wine, private cars, chauffeur and eating out at posh restaurants every night? You sound like the kind who lives at Bt Timah or Orchard road and shop at "Jasons" because HDBs are "not livable for you". (Despite Singapore having one of the highest standard of living/healthcare in the world. In fact, WHO ranks Sg's healthcare as number 1 globally)

How did you get ripped off is a mystery since everything in Singapore has a proper price tag on it, including the veg and eggs at NTUC supermarket to Sheng Shiong. You must have gone for the most run down stalls with no price tags, and then you complain about being "ripped off".

66k is more than enough for a single man. You could probably even save 3k sgd per month easily if you lead a relatively simple lifestyle (rent a room in a hdb flat, eat at local coffeeshops, and still have some money left over shopping, movies, hanging out etc).
Old May 4th 2010, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently this guy wowwee is a Youth Worker.

The mind boggles.

Awaiting a bitter reply.
Old May 4th 2010, 2:10 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

I think whoreing is cheaper in London.
Old May 4th 2010, 4:45 pm
Account Closed

No 15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ex reg
Apparently this guy wowwee is a Youth Worker.

The mind boggles.

Awaiting a bitter reply.
He's a troll. Read his other posts.
Old May 26th 2010, 12:47 pm
The Flying Anglo-Dutchman

Bikbergen is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree that life in Singapore is far more expensive for expats then the locals who do get subsidised accommodation, etc, etc......
I looked in to living expenses in Singapore a couple of years ago and found it way more expensive then London, I doubt you would get by on GBP 30k.
However, can someone please explain to me how the Singaporeans can afford to shop in all these new shiny temples along orchard road if the average salary is below 66k SGD.
I remember visiting eLV as they call it in Singapore and the wife and I just could not believe how the handbags were selling like hotcakes.....
Is there huge personal debt in Singapore, do they max their credit cards?
As for doing groceries at coldstorage in Singapore, my Mum always went shopping there with me in tow and it was good quality and affordable but then this was in the late 60's, early 70's when living in Singapore was still cheap..........
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

radiomad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bikbergen
I agree that life in Singapore is far more expensive for expats then the locals who do get subsidised accommodation, etc, etc......
I looked in to living expenses in Singapore a couple of years ago and found it way more expensive then London, I doubt you would get by on GBP 30k.
However, can someone please explain to me how the Singaporeans can afford to shop in all these new shiny temples along orchard road if the average salary is below 66k SGD.
I remember visiting eLV as they call it in Singapore and the wife and I just could not believe how the handbags were selling like hotcakes.....
As for doing groceries at coldstorage in Singapore, my Mum always went shopping there with me in tow and it was good quality and affordable but then this was in the late 60's, early 70's when living in Singapore was still cheap..........
I think Singapore isnt more expensive to stay as compared to London. It all depends on the type of lifestyle you are going to lead. If its restaurant style meals everyday then certainly, the salary wont be enough. However, if you balance it out with some home cooked meals, some local hawker fare and the occasional nice meals, then it would be a problem.

Each country has unique problems of its own... it boils down to the individual adapting to the country and not the other way around.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

If you bring cost of buying property and cars into 'cost of living' then surely Singapore must be more expensive than London.

We all know about cars but we've just sold a property to an ex London banker.
He can't get over the price he had to pay us compared to what he received when selling his London property.

There are polls and studies on the costliest cities to live in though aren't there.

I didn't think Singapore was in the top 10.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

From my research unless you want to live like a local it is more expensive than London. And personally I wouldn't want to live like a local most of the time, particularly in HDBs which I find depressing and claustrophobic.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bikbergen
The simple fact is the majority of Singaporeans don't buy stuff there and can't afford to. Walking around and being seen there is a national pastime however.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 6:04 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't blame them. Orchard row is for foreigners and hotel guests (which are probably the same thing) goods are cheaper in Chinatown (except for foreigners) and JB , just over the border.