Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Considering 12month assignment... Where to live?

Considering 12month assignment... Where to live?

Old Jan 6th 2013, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Orion1210 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Considering 12month assignment... Where to live?

Hello,

I'm considering taking a 12 month assignment starting feb/march working in the Seletar airport area. My wife and kids, 3 and 5, will be accompanying me from the start. Schooling transport, registration and term fees are paid by my employer.

We have a rental housing budget of 12250 SGD per month. Where would you recommend concentrating our efforts on finding a place live? Ideally we'd like house or villa, unfurnished (or just white goods) and a pool would be welcomed also

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Orion1210; Jan 6th 2013 at 4:34 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering 12month assignment... Where to live?

Loads of nice stuff around the Seletar area.

FYI check your tax situation with UK authorities, assuming you are from UK.
The following used to be the case I haven't heard that things have changed.

You have to be away from UK for a min of one full tax year in order to forgo UK income tax.

In Singapore you will be taxed onj your housing budget as well as your income.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:01 am
Just Joined

Flostan is on a distinguished road

Orion, we have just moved here last week and originally thought about a house as that is what we are used to. Do consider an apartment/condo as there are facilities there making it an instant community and the kids always make friends quickly round the pool. That is where I have met everyone so far and pleased we didn't go for a house as I would feel isolated I think.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
Loads of nice stuff around the Seletar area.

FYI check your tax situation with UK authorities, assuming you are from UK.
The following used to be the case I haven't heard that things have changed.

You have to be away from UK for a min of one full tax year in order to forgo UK income tax.

In Singapore you will be taxed onj your housing budget as well as your income.
I remember some PWC guys getting caught out themselves with this. I think this was the issue (correct me if I am wrong)

Tax year in UK is from July to June? So if you arrive in April you dont start a tax year until that July so if you returned in May the following year you have completed 12 months of being physcially in the country but not the 12 months of tax year.

In their case I think it was more they arrived in August so had a much worse situation.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

UK Tax year is April 6 to April 5.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
UK Tax year is April 6 to April 5.
Thanks ex reg so same applies above if it was say June 2012 you arrived you would need to await April 6 2014, being first full tax year April 5 2013 to April 6 2014