British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Singapore (https://britishexpats.com/forum/singapore-131/)
-   -   Comparison - Information Needed! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/singapore-131/comparison-information-needed-591963/)

twisty100 Feb 17th 2009 4:29 am

Comparison - Information Needed!

Hi all,

I am normally on the Middle East board as i am in Dubai, but i have a question for everyone who is based in Singapore.

I need to know how much it costs for your dependants (wifes) visa when living in Singapore and also how long it is valid for?

Really appreciate your help!

M

Englishmum Feb 18th 2009 2:36 am

Re: Comparison - Information Needed!

Originally Posted by twisty100 (Post 7292446)
Hi all,

I am normally on the Middle East board as i am in Dubai, but i have a question for everyone who is based in Singapore.

I need to know how much it costs for your dependants (wifes) visa when living in Singapore and also how long it is valid for?

M

I'm on a Dependant pass....and have absolutely no idea how much it costs (probably very little, I should imagine) as the company's HR dept. sorted it out. It was applied for at the same time that the company filed for my spouse's Employment pass. It also expires at the same time that his EP does.

You don't get a 'visa' for Employment passes, Dependant passes, Social Visit Passes or a Student Pass - you get a green card which includes your name, address, DOB and the identity card no. they give you with a 'FIN' - 'Foreigners Identification Number'. It is supposed to be carried on you at all times (and you need it whenever you leave and re-enter Singapore, open a bank account and set up utilities etc.) but I never do so and keep it in a safe place with my passport. It's useful to carry a photocopy of it in your wallet if you do this.

However.....the first time we lived in Singapore, I stayed on for a few extra months after my spouse went on another expat posting to New York. Our children were still at school, with the eldest taking exams. I then had to change my DP for a Social Visitors Pass (which expired just after the international school academic year ended, when I intended to leave anyway.). The children went onto Student passes.

Inselaffen Feb 18th 2009 4:02 am

Originally Posted by twisty100 (Post 7292446)
Hi all,

M

Hi Twisty,

My company arranged my wife's Dependant's pass when we moved from Dubai to Singapore. think it was S$30 for each year and its a 2 year pass.

also had to pay a little extra as my wife also needed a single entry visa as she was not from a country which gets Visa's on arival.

katongkaren Feb 18th 2009 4:12 am

In theory I think you can get a 3 year pass. When we renewed our EPs we asked for 3 years - there was a box to tick marked 3 years. Tho' they gave us 2 years anyway (duh).

Inselaffen Feb 20th 2009 2:49 am

Originally Posted by katongkaren (Post 7296491)
In theory I think you can get a 3 year pass. When we renewed our EPs we asked for 3 years - there was a box to tick marked 3 years. Tho' they gave us 2 years anyway (duh).

or apply for a PEP and then you get 5 years

Kooky. Feb 22nd 2009 9:22 pm

I think Englishmum's mentioned the most important info - the Dep Pass is part of your Emp Pass so lasts however long that lasts, and if that is cancelled so is the DP.