British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Singapore (https://britishexpats.com/forum/singapore-131/)
-   -   common law proof (https://britishexpats.com/forum/singapore-131/common-law-proof-882217/)

Abarrow88 Jul 27th 2017 6:55 am

Re: common law proof

Hi all,
I'm very happy to say that my LTVP has been approved in principal.
Background info: both from the UK, my boyfriend is on a two year E-pass, I haven't got a job yet, we aren't married but have a mortgage together.
We paid a solicitor in the UK to prepare an affidavit which stated we were living as common law husband and wife. I think it was around £120. We also included the details of the home we share in the affidavit. About two weeks after submitting the application they requested the deeds of our house and joint bank account details. After these were forwarded my visa was approved in principal. I just need to arrange an apppointment with MOM for fingerprints etc.

JJ89 Jul 27th 2017 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Abarrow88 (Post 12303967)
Hi all,
Background info: both from the UK, my boyfriend is on a two year E-pass, I haven't got a job yet, we aren't married but have a mortgage together.
We paid a solicitor in the UK to prepare an affidavit which stated we were living as common law husband and wife. I think it was around £120. We also included the details of the home we share in the affidavit. About two weeks after submitting the application they requested the deeds of our house and joint bank account details. After these were forwarded my visa was approved in principal. I just need to arrange an apppointment with MOM for fingerprints etc.

That's great news!! So clearly it is not as cut and dry as the email they sent me suggests. My partner and I rent a property together but do not have a mortgage or a shared bank account so o imagine they may not look upon us so favourably even with an affadavit. Thanks for the update though.

JJ89 Jul 27th 2017 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Abarrow88 (Post 12303967)
Hi all,

Can I ask a little more about the affadavit and the wording of it? I know you said you put details of your home into it, did you provide any other evidence of your relationship or did it just detail that you were cohabiting etc? There seems to be very little online about exactly what should be included and I imagine it may vary from lawyer to lawyer!
Thanks

scot47 Jul 27th 2017 5:09 pm

"Marriage by habit and repute" is legal under Scots Law. UK Law is not unitary. there are different legal systems working within the UK. Rather than fight your corner, it might be easier just to get married. i am assuming that there is no legal impediment to that.

JJ89 Jul 27th 2017 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12304324)
"Marriage by habit and repute" is legal under Scots Law. UK Law is not unitary. there are different legal systems working within the UK. Rather than fight your corner, it might be easier just to get married. i am assuming that there is no legal impediment to that.

Thank you, yes I was having a look at the differences in Scots Law too. I am starting to think marriage might be easier too but that seems a little extreme!!

scot47 Jul 27th 2017 5:51 pm

Marriage ? Itr is painless. I have done it quite a few times !

Ihza84 Aug 15th 2017 9:15 am

Hi - me and my partner moved here in March and originally were told we had to get married as its the easiest way to get him a visa.
He was Australian and I have a UK passport and were living in Switzerland at the time. But with a bit of research we saw the Australia issues 'certificate of relationship' - which is a legal document confirming status. We submitted this to the MOM and he was given an LTVP attached to my EP. The process was quick so you would know the result straight away if it was successful.
I think a solicitor witnessed affidavit will suffice. Good luck!!

LEarls15 Jan 3rd 2018 5:03 pm

Hi all

I am about to go through a similar process. I will be gaining a EP and my bf i would like to get a visa and eventually apply to work. We have a mortgage for 5 years and joint accounts and both Uk citizens.

If any successful people can send me their solicitor details and or proposed wording so we have a good chance of being successful.

My company will manage our applications but I want to give us the best chance given that it can be tricky.

Thanks all in advance!!

travellerdee May 10th 2018 7:41 pm

Hi Everyone,

Some help needed!

My partner of 13 years at the beginning of the year secured an EP and is working in Singapore. His company applied for an LTVP for us and after reading this thread we sent away documents such as affidavit, joint mortgage and bank account statements, my degree certificates etc. However it got rejected! PS we are both Scottish where the law is apparently standing for common law marriage.

We don't know what to do now? Is it worthwhile appealing it again or do you have any other suggestions of other evidence we can provide to get the LTVP?

I am considering just visiting for holidays every now and again, has anyone heard of any difficulties when getting into the country if I was to visit a couple of times a year for a few months at a time on just a standard visitors visa?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
D