Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Cigarette Duties and Taxes in Singapore

Cigarette Duties and Taxes in Singapore

Old Aug 26th 2010, 5:29 pm
kwl
Just Joined

kwl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cigarette Duties and Taxes in Singapore

Hi

I have been looking into this over several website and still not 100% from what i have read.

I understand that i can bring a single packet of 20 cigs or even a carton and need to declare this at the airport and will have to pay the costs.
I also understand that while smoking in designated area in Singapore the cigarette box must have Singapore Duty-Paid Cigarette as stated below;

Those caught smoking cigarettes without the “SDPC” (Singapore Duty-Paid Cigarette) stamp on them can be fined at least S$500 for each pack found on their person, up from S$200 in 2007.

So the single pack that i probably carry over from UK will have "UK Duty Paid" on the packet. Do you think that is ok?
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:30 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cigarette Duties and Taxes in Singapore

I'm not a smoker but I'd imagine one in-progress packet would be ok. If you're concerned, just don't carry them; get some at the other end. ex-reg may know more.

Don't, whatever you do, be tempted by duty free. It may seem fanciful but I know for a fact that plain clothes cops walk up and down Orchard Road with nothing better to do than catch people smoking duty-free cigs - much to a friend's cost.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:49 pm
kwl
Just Joined

Thanks for the info Seasider, don't think i be bringing any duty free cigs into Singapore. I may purchase one packet here in UK and just take that and ask in the Goods to declare whether UK Duty Paid is ok.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 3:06 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Cigarette Duties and Taxes in Singapore

My friend's dad flew in from Scotland to spend a few weeks on holiday here in Singapore to see her and his grandchildren.

He purchased duty free cigarettes in the UK and was stopped by Singapore Customs. He had to prove that he was on a flight out of Singapore, otherwise he would have had to pay import duty on the cigarettes (which is very steep....a packet of 20 cigarettes in Singapore is approx S$10 - S$11.50depending on the brand).

TBH I can't recall if my friend's dad was allowed to bring the UK cigarettes into Singapore, or if he had to leave them at Changi airport and pick them up on his departure. She has now left Singapore, otherwise I would check with her.

I don't smoke, but I usually buy 200 Marlboro Lights for a friend at Changi airport when I fly to the US; the duty free price at Changi is approx S$22, so you might as well buy your duty free there when you are leaving Singapore.

Hope this helps!
PS. All the local cigarette packets have gruesome photos on showing the possible effects on smokers....cancers on peoples necks, amputated limbs...and even a miscarried foetus.... The Singapore govt. is trying to discourage smoking, so impose hefty taxes in an effort to do so - but obviously it brings in revenue too.

PPS. You are allowed to bring in (duty free) 1 bottle of spirits AND 1 bottle of wine....AND - get this - 3 cans of beer! You can actually buy bundled cans of 3 beers at the arrivals hall duty free section. The airport terminals do have small duty free shops adjacent to the baggage claim areas, prior to exiting via the customs declaration area. Alcohol is *very* expensive in Singapore, wine especially so.

You can't buy duty free cigarettes on arrival though, and when I drive across the border into Malaysia and come back into Singapore, they specifically always ask if I have cigarettes with me when I have to open the boot of the car.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:59 am
kwl
Just Joined

Thanks for that info Englishmum, much appreciated never known a country to be that strict on cigarettes
Old Aug 27th 2010, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

I don't smoke and none of my friends do either.
But once you are on a plane you can't smoke until you leave Changi, so why bother bringing one packet?
You can buy legal cigarettes in Singapore.

And it is possible to buy illegal duty free cigarettes in Singapore from illegal immigrants usually.
One place they always sell in the evenings and night time is along Woodlands Rd on the opposite carriageway to the Stagmont Ring Rd turn off.
Mind you Customs officers also catch the buyers as well as the sellers.

Why not make your visit the first step into giving up smoking.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 1:15 pm
kwl
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ex reg
I don't smoke and none of my friends do either.
But once you are on a plane you can't smoke until you leave Changi, so why bother bringing one packet?
You can buy legal cigarettes in Singapore
After a long flight from UK i would want to smoke at least one cigarette outside the airport (designated area). knowing my luck i won't find a shop that sell cigs until i get to the hotel and then i be stress

Originally Posted by ex reg
Why not make your visit the first step into giving up smoking.
nice gesture i should really though...