Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Car & Driver in Singapore - advice

Car & Driver in Singapore - advice

Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Suzannecara is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car & Driver in Singapore - advice

I am looking to maybe hire a driver for the family in Singapore. Doies anyone have any reocmmendations. So many drop off and pick up times with 3 kids at different schools and worried about trying to drive in heavy rain. Any recommendations on where I could start looking to hire a reliable driver? I understand from friends that it is often better value to buy a second hand car and then a driver versus renting/leasing a car. Any insight much appreciated!
Old Jan 15th 2011, 2:43 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Car & Driver in Singapore - advice

Originally Posted by Suzannecara
I am looking to maybe hire a driver for the family in Singapore. Doies anyone have any reocmmendations. So many drop off and pick up times with 3 kids at different schools and worried about trying to drive in heavy rain. Any recommendations on where I could start looking to hire a reliable driver? I understand from friends that it is often better value to buy a second hand car and then a driver versus renting/leasing a car. Any insight much appreciated!
TBH the only expats I know of who have a driver are those who are posted to such places as the Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam etc. My friend had a full-time driver when she lived in Manila (her husband had one too for work) and it drove her nuts because she didn't have many places to go to and he sat around drinking coffee with her maids most of the time (the house came with 2 live-in maids and a live-out laundrywoman, plus a pool-boy). She found it very difficult having to deal with the household staff. Actually I was in their car with my family and her driver crashed the car and wrote it off.....

Singapore isn't a Third-World country and most people drive themselves if they have (use of) a car....ok driving standards aren't great, too many motorcyclists and trucks on the road and frustrating at times - especially during the rush hours - but there really is no need for a driver unless it's for a status symbol. Cars are the most expensive in the world in Singapore due to the heavy taxes, although I see loads of Ferrari's, Maserati's, Lamborghini's, Bentley's and Aston Martin's owned by the locals.

If driving in heavy rain, just slow down! In any case the heavy tropical rainstorms are usually over in about 10-20 minutes. Most cars are automatics and one drives on the left, the same as the UK. Expats will need to take a theory driving test.

Your kids will almost certainly be taking school buses which are operated by the PTA's on a door-to-door service.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Suzannecara is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car & Driver in Singapore - advice

Thanks for the advise. Much appreciated - you have been so helpful!