Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

British expat needs advice.

British expat needs advice.

Old Jul 12th 2010, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

amandaknightslydia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British expat needs advice.

Hi

My husband, myself and my two children, girls aged 8 and 5 will be moving to Singapore around or before Jan 2011. I haven't done this before and would appreciate some advice on schools and houses if possible.

Are there any independent girls schools? If not, what school would any of you recommend that follows the uk curriculum, we are planning to stay for two years so my thinking was that if we try and follow the same curriculum then this would help the girls when we return, or am I wrong???

Our budget for accomodation will be about £4k per month, I have read that you have to careful with the initial standard of accomodation you are shown, is this the case? Big ask, but where would you recommend we live, I want a real family location, I dont expect we will be going out too much in the evenings so a city condo is out, my years of doing that have gone! I have ascertained from other postings that we want to avoid the red light district and the busy local areas. My husbands office will be Orchard Road but we dont think we want to be located in this area, again could be wrong!

I am planning to visit in the next month but first wanted a bit of personal advice. Many Thanks
Old Jul 12th 2010, 12:45 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British expat needs advice.

We lived in a shophouse in the red light district for 4 years and loved it doubt you'd want to do that with children though - no garden.

Take a look at the property pages on www.singaporeexpats.com for some good info on areas and individual complexes, with tons of photos.

The Holland Rd/Bukit Timah areas are popular with families. Not sure if you're expecting a house on that budget, and I'm out of touch, but I doubt you'd get much up there with it. You could look at terraces and cluster houses on the East Coast or maybe Ang Moh Kio, Upper Thomson Rd, Serangoon Gardens but again, check the current prices. Don't dismiss "local" areas outright. Why move to Asia and live with a load of expats?

Not sure what you mean about initial standards - agents showing you fleapits, perhaps? Go with a reputable agency (if you're being relocated you'll probably be allocated one). I know a couple of decent agents; let me know if you'd like details.

I can't help with schools, sorry. I'm sure Englishmum will be along soon to advise but I know UWC has a great reputation (and fees and waiting list to match, if nothing's changed lately). I did do a research project a few years ago on international schools in Singapore but I think I'd better keep quiet about some of my findings.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of points to add to Seasider.
The location of the school may decide the location of the accommodation.
Where your husband works is pretty central really so doesn't have a lot of bearing and I assume he will be travelling to work by public transport as traffic is getting more and more horrendous during rush hours.

If correct about travel to work then the Bukit Timah area is not well served by the MRT yet, although the Holland Rd area is not far from existing MRT at Buona Vista.

Buses and taxis are good but it's rush hour travel on the roads!!!!

Seasider hasn't mentioned the Tanjong Rhu area for accommodation. It's now served by a newly opened MRT station. Buses are very good as is the taxi service. Also the Parkway Parade area has many new condos and good travel facilities. The Newton area is another with new condos.

If you base everything around the school and distance your children will have to travel I think that will reduce your choice of accommodation areas because the journey to and from school can be awful for kids imo.

So first choose the school and the rest will follow because really condos are similar where ever. You may get a terrace or semi for £4k a month but imo a condo will give you facilities, space and the availability of meeting locals and expats.

Of course these views are personal and based on my experience which is different from Seasider and others who will answer.

Last edited by ex reg; Jul 13th 2010 at 7:47 am.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

amandaknightslydia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Seasider
We lived in a shophouse in the red light district for 4 years and loved it doubt you'd want to do that with children though - no garden.

Take a look at the property pages on www.singaporeexpats.com for some good info on areas and individual complexes, with tons of photos.

The Holland Rd/Bukit Timah areas are popular with families. Not sure if you're expecting a house on that budget, and I'm out of touch, but I doubt you'd get much up there with it. You could look at terraces and cluster houses on the East Coast or maybe Ang Moh Kio, Upper Thomson Rd, Serangoon Gardens but again, check the current prices. Don't dismiss "local" areas outright. Why move to Asia and live with a load of expats?

Not sure what you mean about initial standards - agents showing you fleapits, perhaps? Go with a reputable agency (if you're being relocated you'll probably be allocated one). I know a couple of decent agents; let me know if you'd like details.

I can't help with schools, sorry. I'm sure Englishmum will be along soon to advise but I know UWC has a great reputation (and fees and waiting list to match, if nothing's changed lately). I did do a research project a few years ago on international schools in Singapore but I think I'd better keep quiet about some of my findings.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I found a previous response to another expat from englishmum that was really helpful regarding schools.

We wont have a relocation agent so once our plans are definate then I will contact you again for contact details if you dont mind.

Regards
Old Jul 14th 2010, 3:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Bukit Timah Road (arnd 6th Av Centre) has direct bus service into Orchard Road and you can get a 3 bed condo for arnd 4.5k

If it fits in with school locations then Marine Parade in the East Coast will be a good choice. We live in Cote D'azur condo which is next door to a nice mall and close to the underpass to the East Coast Park. Its also on a direct bus route to orchard which takes about 30-40 minutes
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 6:44 pm
Banned

Fflinty is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I've been offered a job in Banking and I'm after some information of Schools for my two children aged 12 and 15. Which are the best Schools and the best areas to live?. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 1:13 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: British expat needs advice.

As per previous replies, best not to choose where to live until the schools are sorted out; it's far better to live as close as possible to the school your children will be attending than to live near the workplace. Although all the schools have bus services (expensive - see if the company will pay an allowance) I found that I was often calling into the schools for a variety of reasons....eg. taking in a forgotten PE kit, day or evening concerts, helping with the school library, parent-teacher meetings, PTA meetings, accompanying infants on school trips etc.

Your children will also often be popping back to school for a variety of reasons in out-of-school hours.

By the way, the international school a few hundred yards from my condo has changed to a new name over the Summer....the former Emaar International School has been re-named 'Excelsior International School'.

I made a long post on the thread "Help With Schools" started by Nicola 75 so don't want to repeat what I've already said.

By the way, the 'best' schools have long waiting lists for most age groups (eg. United World College of SE Asia, Tanglin Trust School, Singapore American School etc.) as they are Trust schools ie. non-profit making where all income is ploughed into the school and not the shareholders coffers. It is essential to get on the wait lists ASAP.