British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Singapore (https://britishexpats.com/forum/singapore-131/)
-   -   Black African moving to Singapore (https://britishexpats.com/forum/singapore-131/black-african-moving-singapore-849713/)

BoofySA Dec 30th 2014 10:30 pm

Black African moving to Singapore

Hi, we are a black African family looking to move in 2015. Are there any other (black or white) African families that we could connect with. I am also finding it difficult to find the best school for my boys aged 7 and 9. My intention was to find the right school for my kids and then look for accommodation. At home our school curriculum is aligned closely to the British curriculum, but am very open to other curriculums. Any advice on schools for my kids will be greatly appreciated.

ex reg Dec 30th 2014 11:37 pm

Re: Black African moving to Singapore

Hello, can't really help except to say that you are right with finding the school before accommodation.

I don't know any African families myself but there are some in Singapore.

2015 starts tomorrow so will you be arriving sooner or later?

bakedbean Dec 31st 2014 6:32 am

Just to say welcome to the forum :wave:

BoofySA Dec 31st 2014 6:34 am

Hi, thank you for your prompt response. We are currently in Singapore for a couple of weeks then only return again in April/May 2015.

ex reg Dec 31st 2014 8:19 am

I'm not in favour of things like the British Club etc why do people travel and work overseas and just want to keep in contact with the people they'd be in contact with if they were 'back home.
But maybe that's cranky me.

Just for your info:
The Africa Society -

BoofySA Dec 31st 2014 9:24 am

Hi, my family is cosmopolitan. With our current lifestyle at home, I guess we don't have a choice. I have family members at various international schools worldwide and always seem to sign us as a host family.
My reason for wanting to connect with other Africans is to get their opinion and advice on their move, with regard to change in culture esp. for kids, schools, foods, church, hangouts, sporting clubs etc. my kids are young and I am a little concerned with them settling in at their new schools. I am sure the the international schools here are no different to the schools that my kids currently attend, but as I mother I would like to ensure that I my kids are happy and comfortable in their daily surroundings.

BoofySA Dec 31st 2014 10:01 am

Sorry, I forgot to mention haircare and hair salons. I am desperate for one.

ex reg Dec 31st 2014 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by BoofySA (Post 11517498)
Hi, my family is cosmopolitan. With our current lifestyle at home, I guess we don't have a choice. I have family members at various international schools worldwide and always seem to sign us as a host family.
My reason for wanting to connect with other Africans is to get their opinion and advice on their move, with regard to change in culture esp. for kids, schools, foods, church, hangouts, sporting clubs etc. my kids are young and I am a little concerned with them settling in at their new schools. I am sure the the international schools here are no different to the schools that my kids currently attend, but as I mother I would like to ensure that I my kids are happy and comfortable in their daily surroundings.

My apologies.
Re reading my post it was heavy handed. Too heavy handed.

My experience has always been that for me, my misses and kids in general it's always better to be in a multi racial environment even though at times experiences of people of similar origin can give knowledge and expertise not generally available.
Hopefully I haven't put you off asking for more help from this forum which imo is very friendly and will do whatever it can to give good advice.

I was in charge of the construction of the British Club in Singapore but have never akchewlee been there or joined since it opened.