Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Annual Wage Supplement (AWS)

Annual Wage Supplement (AWS)

Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:06 am
Just Joined

z-techie will become famous soon enoughz-techie will become famous soon enough
Default Annual Wage Supplement (AWS)

Hi,
I have been offered a job in Singapore and on reviewing the employment contract it states my annual base salary in SGD. It however states that this amount will be paid in 13 installments during the year, with the 13th payment being known as the Annual Wage Supplement (AWS), being paid in December of the year. Now I know that Annual Wage Supplements, which are not contractual, are common in the Singapore jobs market. However, my point is shouldn't such a specified Annual Wage Supplement be in addition to the annual base salary that I am being offered? Also would anyone know whether such an employment contract that I have been provided with breaches Singapore manpower law, given the prospective employer specifies an AWS within the employment contract yet is taking this amount this from the annual base salary by paying it in 13 installments?

To be honest I would be happy with taking the annual base salary at the normal 12 installments and not have any mention of an AWS! Any feedback from expats out there working in Singapore would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old Mar 13th 2012, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Annual Wage Supplement (AWS)

It used to be the case that base salary was agreed upon.
There was then on top of that much to my surprise when I first came here to work a Chinese New Year Bonus of one month salary paid at CNY. (13 month bonus if you like, paid outwith you contractual salary )

On top of that there was an annual discretionary bonus which depending on your performance and company profits could be substantial.

Nowadays the ex pat contract, with all its add ons, housing allowance, medical, travel allowance etc etc, has in many cases been supplemented by the local terms contract, which I believe has many of those add ons discontinued or supposedly added into the base salary.

That's the way it is these days.

If you are concerned about the contract breaking Singapore law then perhaps you shouldn't sign on the dotted because you will be unhappy with what you get or how you are paid.

I doubt you have any bargaining position by mentioning the legality or otherwise of your contract before you sign and after you sign it's too late.

IMO.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 12:59 pm
Emeritus Senior Minister

Paul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud of
Default Re: Annual Wage Supplement (AWS)

AWS is considered a bonus and not part of your salary. It is more or less guaranteed if company is doing reasonably well, but it is still at company's discretion. You cannot complain to Ministry of Manpower if AWS is not paid.