Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Advice Please re retirement in Singapore

Advice Please re retirement in Singapore

Old May 18th 2011, 5:15 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice Please re retirement in Singapore

Hi Elaine. If you want to look into the MM2H visa further, there's a load of threads in the Malaysia section. This is just one of them

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702225

You'll see a link on that thread to the my2home forum which has a ton of information and postings by all us MM2Hers. If you google on mm2h you should also get the government website.

The Philippines also has a good retirement visa. Take a look in the Philippines sub-forum. Thailand also has a one year renewable visa which is quite an easy one. I'm sure Nonthaburi can advise on that one in the Thai section.

Happy planning
Old May 31st 2011, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

xxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nice

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Hi Elaine. If you want to look into the MM2H visa further, there's a load of threads in the Malaysia section. This is just one of them

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702225

You'll see a link on that thread to the my2home forum which has a ton of information and postings by all us MM2Hers. If you google on mm2h you should also get the government website.

The Philippines also has a good retirement visa. Take a look in the Philippines sub-forum. Thailand also has a one year renewable visa which is quite an easy one. I'm sure Nonthaburi can advise on that one in the Thai section.

Happy planning

Hi,
Thank you for your help l shall be looking into it all...many thanks...

Best wishes
xxElainexx
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

stiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Question is why would anyone want to retire in Singapore? On one hand I know that it is a perfect place to live but on the other it doesn't offer much for elderly people.

Singapore doesn't want sick people, hence the requirement about good health. If you have Tuberculosis or HIV, you won't be granted with work permit / long term pass visa. Probably you have to be in a good health condition at the time of applying for such long term pass, I guess they won't kick you out if your health is worsening but you have insurer who pays for your expensive treatments.

Medical bills can be very high, that's why requirement about insurance. It should not be a problem to find an insurer who is willing to cover you even until being 120 years old. E.g. BUPA offers it. Problem is that once you get older, the premium fees are skyrocketing.

So it is just a matter of your financial abilities. Personally, I would be looking for quieter place for my retirement.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 6:46 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I sort of agree with you. But I guess if you have loads of dosh and you like Singapore, then why not? You cannot take it with you.

I think also have to bear in mind that people do retire early quite often. I'm retired and in mid 50s so you don't have to be "elderly". Mind you, don't think I could afford to retire in Singapore, and wouldn't want to these days.