Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

8 hours in Changi airport - What to do?

8 hours in Changi airport - What to do?

Old Dec 21st 2009, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

happy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud of
Default 8 hours in Changi airport - What to do?

Hi Far East BE'ers,

I have a 8 hour layover in Changi (following a +16 hour flight from SFO) on route to Perth from Canada and wonder if you have any recommendations of what to do? I can't afford the sensible option of a few hours sleep in a hotel and don't have a pass for a posh lounge. ( I wish)

Is there anything worth seeing in the airport or close to it? I don't mind travelling out of the airport

Thanks in advance

HH
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8 hours in Changi airport - What to do?

When I was last there, there was a free city tour of Singapore. Which we didn't take up, as my wife was tired.
The airport is a nice one. Plenty of shops reasonably priced, and some restaurant/snack bars. There is a wall of orchids too.
There is a lounge with a large TV screen, with comfortable seating. We were there for some six hours during which my wife had three hours of comfortable sleep.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

happy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud of

many thanks!
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 8:10 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Hi HH, if you have a search of the Oz forum, this comes up regularly.

8 hours is a long time to waste in an airport, even if it is Changi. I really would recommend you rent a few hours in the hotel, or a few hours in a nap room in the Ambassador transit lounge (hotel and lounge are side-by-side).

There's a cinema, and there's a pool, gym, etc., too. The tour might be nice if you haven't been to Singapore before (I used to live there) but TBH, with a journey that long I think you'd be better having a rest and a shower. I always feel better after a shower when I'm in transit.

Last edited by Kooky.; Dec 22nd 2009 at 8:25 pm. Reason: spotted typo
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Seasider,

many thanks the lounge sounds spot on - can I pay to go in there as a economy passenger?
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 8:24 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. We had 9 hours there in Sept and did so. Let me find the link and edit this.

Here ya go. http://athmg.com/transitlounge.htm