Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are we British too set in our ways?

Are we British too set in our ways?

Old Aug 8th 2017, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are we British too set in our ways?

Why are posters trying to tell brits what they "should" do whilst they are on holiday?
"Why are they eating full english" "why do they drink John Smiths" "why do they eat fish and chips"

I say why don't you mind your own business! !!!

When I was working in the UK it took me months to save for a decent family holiday. It was my money and I spent it how I and the family wanted to. If we wanted fish and chips then that is what we had. Some of you posters should get of your pedestals and high horses and allow people to live their lives how they see fit.

I have been in bars and restaurants where different nationalities have enjoyed "english" food as I do although I am willing to try 'some' Spanish food. I enjoy drinking John Smiths because I don't like lager that's full of gas.

So........I enjoy a "full english", "John Smiths" and a "Sunday roast" so mind your own business
Old Aug 8th 2017, 1:38 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with having what you want for all the reasons you mention.

Though, with that, you start sounding like the stereotypical Brit requiring "British stuff" (or just generally averse to exposure to "foreign stuff") on your hols abroad.

And if you go a bit further with that, and also happen to [unwittingly?] project an aire of "all things not British are inferior" arrogance, or exhibit frustration at how "unbritish" things are abroad, then you probably qualify as a textbook stereotypical "Brit abroad".

Now, it may not matter what johnny foreigner thinks, but those stereotypes are what distinguish Brits. And if you look at it from johnny's perspective. it doesn't exactly convey the "sophistication" that many Brits like to believe makes them so exceptional. In fact, it rather conveys quite the opposite, which explains the joke behind the "Brits abroad" stereotype. It's not flattering. But OK, as long as you're bringing money, we'll humour you.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas

Though, with that, you start sounding like the stereotypical Brit requiring "British stuff" (or just generally averse to exposure to "foreign stuff") on your hols abroad.

And if you go a bit further with that, and also happen to [unwittingly?] project an aire of "all things not British are inferior" arrogance, or exhibit frustration at how "unbritish" things are abroad, then you probably qualify as a textbook stereotypical "Brit abroad".

Now, it may not matter what johnny foreigner thinks, but those stereotypes are what distinguish Brits. And if you look at it from johnny's perspective. it doesn't exactly convey the "sophistication" that many Brits like to believe makes them so exceptional. In fact, it rather conveys quite the opposite, which explains the joke behind the "Brits abroad" stereotype. It's not flattering. But OK, as long as you're bringing money, we'll humour you.
Well you do spout a lot of rubbish Amy

Sounds like you've just passed your first internet course on Psychology and can't help all the keyboard diarrhea that goes with it!

I've embraced the Spanish way of life since I've lived here and have some very nice Spanish friends who do not have the same views as you have, now that is strange, don't you think?

Life is very short and it's to be lived how you like it, as long as it's legal. Everyone has the right to buy what food and drink that suits them without interference from people who think they know better.......Amy.

Some "things" in Spain are inferior to that of the brits, you only have to read some posts on this site (especially about telecoms and postal services or internet etc) but I fully admit that the Spanish way of life is far superior (for me and the OH) So keep rambling and we'll humour you too!
Old Aug 8th 2017, 2:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas

Old Aug 8th 2017, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Tebo you and I are on the same wave length I couldn't agree more. Plus as I said previously why is it a great idea and trendy to have tapas bars all over the UK but to eat fish and chips or English / Irish breakfast shows how uncultured one is?
Old Aug 8th 2017, 3:57 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tebo53
Well you do spout a lot of rubbish Amy

Sounds like you've just passed your first internet course on Psychology and can't help all the keyboard diarrhea that goes with it!

I've embraced the Spanish way of life since I've lived here and have some very nice Spanish friends who do not have the same views as you have, now that is strange, don't you think?

Life is very short and it's to be lived how you like it, as long as it's legal. Everyone has the right to buy what food and drink that suits them without interference from people who think they know better.......Amy.

Some "things" in Spain are inferior to that of the brits, you only have to read some posts on this site (especially about telecoms and postal services or internet etc) but I fully admit that the Spanish way of life is far superior (for me and the OH) So keep rambling and we'll humour you too!
Telecoms are far from perfect anywhere, especially Britain. But we had ubiquitous 4G about a year before Britain. 5G is now in rollout stages.

Still, there's few things more satisfying than a good old British moan. And that's another known character of British tourists. They complain often, usually about petty stuff. And that explains a lot about why the tourism business is increasingly averse to making special considerations for Brits. They'll probably be unhappy anyway, and many wouldn't know the difference.

Again, until recently, the value of sterling meant you could deliver less and charge British tourists more (Magaluf an excellent example of a cheap resort that delivers deluxe cheapness for the same price others charge for a grade higher). But that appears to be over. Even Magaluf is now moving its promotion budgets toward continental Europeans. Something that would have been unthinkable a few years ago. But I chalk that up to Brexit as a "final straw", on top of those famous problems they suffer over there. The extra you can charge for it is not likely to continue.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bobd22
Tebo you and I are on the same wave length I couldn't agree more. Plus as I said previously why is it a great idea and trendy to have tapas bars all over the UK but to eat fish and chips or English / Irish breakfast shows how uncultured one is?
Thank you bob at last a sensible answer! I cannot understand why anybody wants to interfere in other people's lives. We've all grafted throughout our lives to enjoy what we can afford. Some posters need to "get a life" and get on with it and keep their opinions to themselves.

I will continue to enjoy my John Smiths at my local expats bar (who also sell lovely tapas) and probably call in for a full English breakfast tomorrow morning. But for now I'm going to get ready to go to the Chinese for tea.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you bob at last a sensible answer! I cannot understand why anybody wants to interfere in other people's lives. We've all grafted throughout our lives to enjoy what we can afford. Some posters need to "get a life" and get on with it and keep their opinions to themselves.

I will continue to enjoy my John Smiths at my local expats bar (who also sell lovely tapas) and probably call in for a full English breakfast tomorrow morning. But for now I'm going to get ready to go to the Chinese for tea.
A full English breakfast is something I've never ever seen here, but whenever we go down south, that's the one treat I look forward to. I think on balance it's better not to have it and then treat oneself when it's available. Like eating vegetables only when in season.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 5:05 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Simply because tapas done properly is far better than fish n chips.
" Foreign " food does attract some.
A couple of years ago in Lagos Portugal we were having a drink in a bar that serves the typical Brits on holiday food.
Someone was eating, Pie Chips and Beans.
A group of Dutch came in , looked at what Was being served, asked what it was and all ordered the same.
Exotic foreign cuisine is not just something other countries have.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by EMR
" Foreign " food does attract some.
A couple of years ago in Lagos Portugal we were having a drink in a bar that serves the typical Brits on holiday food.
Someone was eating, Pie Chips and Beans.
A group of Dutch came in , looked at what Was being served, asked what it was and all ordered the same.
Exotic foreign cuisine is not just something other countries have.
Exactly EMR. It's each to their own! Even the Dutch are happy to try something different.

It's not down to anyone to tell you what to eat or drink. I'm never interested in what the next table are eating, drinking or talking about. I have my own life to live, and fully enjoying it!!

I still prefer fish and chips rather than tapas

Oh by the way, the OH have just informed me that we will be going down to Tapas Square tomorrow dinner time
Old Aug 8th 2017, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute

It does seem a particular part of the British/Spanish tourist relationship. In most other European countries you will not see such 'pandering' to British tastes in order to secure business, certainly not in Italy or France. Perhaps it harks back to the dawn of mass tourism and cheap package travel when Spain was by far the most popular destination and Brits were 'suspicious' of the local 'foreign' cuisine. . What worked then as a business model for restaurant owners holds good today - but I would argue that Spain could do more to promote it's own domestic cuisine which, in essence, is not that dissimilar to our own.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 5:31 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly EMR. It's each to their own! Even the Dutch are happy to try something different.

It's not down to anyone to tell you what to eat or drink. I'm never interested in what the next table are eating, drinking or talking about. I have my own life to live, and fully enjoying it!!

I still prefer fish and chips rather than tapas

Oh by the way, the OH have just informed me that we will be going down to Tapas Square tomorrow dinner time

However when it comes to quality I avoid so called British fare when out of the UK.
Everything from the freezer, via the deep fryer, probably the cheapest that the restaurant can find.
But each to their own.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
"
I disagree generally with this reply. Although you did add the rider "done properly" but that is exactly the same with fish and chips. In fact a plate of good fish chips and proper mushy peas is a lovely meal. I eat them maybe 3 times a year and as someone said most things are better eaten in moderation. I will add I am a Yorkshire man but now living in the north east, I consider generally speaking fish and chips in the north of England for me tend to be the best. Whitby has some very good well renowned fish and chip restaurants. UK tapas restaurants I have never tried , however when over in Spain I have had the odd very good tapas but generally they are poor to mediocre and in reality pre prepared rather than homemade with fresh ingredients. So your reply still does not answer why tapas restaurants in UK are a fantastic connoisseurs delight whereas as fish and chips etc in Spain are to be rubbished, no matter how good either actually are. Anyway we in the northeast must be really cultured as we at our local pub have embraced the tapas � ����
Are we British too set in our ways?-newtappaz.jpg

Last edited by bobd22; Aug 8th 2017 at 7:49 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, SO WHAT? As long as it doesn't involve loutish behaviour, crime or violence, WHO cares if differing versions of having a good time are a personal choice? We all laugh at our Countrymen abroad sometimes, but don't you think the Germans do it to their own, or the French or the Spanish? Whatever floats your boat, just be decent about it and don't be an ass. I go the way I want to go, but one mans meat (and veg) is another's poison. For Gords sake just get on with your life in the way best suited to you. Enjoy.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Bridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond repute

I've really enjoyed this thread. I put my hands up and said don't want to stay near Brits Abroad Land. But we now go to Almunecar and are regular visitors to a couple of English run places. Love my curry night and fish and chips at Danny's Bar...is it a lager lout, no shirt, lots of tattoes or cheap nylon football shirts place? No it's lots of Northern European people having a good night out with the common language of communication being English. Not being full time residents and being lazy I only speak the basic but google translate on my phone is my lifeline when needed. Do I feel bad about not making more of an effort to be Spanish...no we get by.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.