plants

Old Jul 18th 2014, 4:52 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default plants

I am looking for ideas of plants that are happy in pots and in full sun for the majority of the time. Ideally I want a range of small to medium sized easy care perrenials to put on the terrace. There is a trough with cacti in it so do not want any more of them.

What have you discovered that thrives in these conditions? What should I avoid at all costs?

Rosemary
Old Jul 21st 2014, 7:04 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: plants

There used to be a useful thread on this on the main forum where someone put up a list of plants that would be ideal. I'm off to work in a bit so I won't have time but I'll dig out the original list and repost it if you want.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 7:22 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I am looking for ideas of plants that are happy in pots and in full sun for the majority of the time. Ideally I want a range of small to medium sized easy care perrenials to put on the terrace. There is a trough with cacti in it so do not want any more of them.

What have you discovered that thrives in these conditions? What should I avoid at all costs?

Rosemary
Bird of Paradise would be a good one, and any of the med herbs, such as rosemary, just trim them to keep them smaller.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 7:49 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
There used to be a useful thread on this on the main forum where someone put up a list of plants that would be ideal. I'm off to work in a bit so I won't have time but I'll dig out the original list and repost it if you want.
Thank you Matt that would be brilliant.

Rosemary
Old Jul 21st 2014, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Bird of Paradise would be a good one, and any of the med herbs, such as rosemary, just trim them to keep them smaller.
I have a very robust rosemary plant but had not thought about other herbs so that is one trough solved. Will look into bird of paradise too. Thanks.

Rosemary
Old Jul 21st 2014, 1:32 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Geraniums love sun, flower nearly all year round and last for about 5 years before they get a bit leggy. We have loads on the terrace.

You could also try the small leaf version of the Oleander.

Cape Daisies are good.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James
Geraniums love sun, flower nearly all year round and last for about 5 years before they get a bit leggy. We have loads on the terrace.

You could also try the small leaf version of the Oleander.

Cape Daisies are good.
Excellent ideas, thank you Fred. I always thought that geraniums would wlilt and that they were not likely to last, will definitely get a few as they add such a good splash of colour.

Rosemary
Old Jul 21st 2014, 5:55 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Cannabis plant for the win! Loves to be in pot and plenty of sun....not to mention they have a lovely smell.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 6:46 pm

Forgot to mention that the plants have to be able to withstand the wind too.

Rosemary
Old Jul 21st 2014, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Cannabis plant for the win! Loves to be in pot and plenty of sun....not to mention they have a lovely smell.
You are wicked.

Rosemary
Old Jul 26th 2014, 10:50 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I sort of disappeared from the thread but it's been stupidly busy at work and I only did in and out now. It took some looking mainly because JDR's brilliant Free Beer Thread has almost vanished but I found my original list of plants that will thrive in Spain. I chose the list because while most plants can be forced to grow in most conditions, we have clematis growing in dry flinty woodland at work but the honeysuckle grows twice the height and with twice the vigour, plants that are forced to grow out of their comfort zone ultimately mean they need more time, attention and love and are more likely to turn their toes up in tough times.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain...4/#post4842012
Old Jul 26th 2014, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Sorry I sort of disappeared from the thread but it's been stupidly busy at work and I only did in and out now. It took some looking mainly because JDR's brilliant Free Beer Thread has almost vanished but I found my original list of plants that will thrive in Spain. I chose the list because while most plants can be forced to grow in most conditions, we have clematis growing in dry flinty woodland at work but the honeysuckle grows twice the height and with twice the vigour, plants that are forced to grow out of their comfort zone ultimately mean they need more time, attention and love and are more likely to turn their toes up in tough times.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain...4/#post4842012
Thank you so much, you are a gem. I will enjoy spending time looking at them on the internet.

Rosemary