Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Heading for Europe

Heading for Europe

Old Jun 21st 2014, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Heading for Europe

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old Jun 21st 2014, 7:14 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heading for Europe

Wouldn't you?
Old Jun 21st 2014, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I already have !
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 4:16 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I already have !
That's kind of my point.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 8:22 pm
Banned

Mr Juncker is an unknown quantity at this point

For want of a better life.
Something that we should all encourage I think.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 11:12 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

That is just so shocking and very sad.

Who could deny anyone a chance of searching for a better life. It's what my Mum did when she ran away from Ireland, so perhaps I have a bias.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

two tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose your viewpoint could be coloured by the distance you live from the beachhead that that lot are going to try to establish.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 2:03 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by two tubes of toothpaste
I suppose your viewpoint could be coloured by the distance you live from the beachhead that that lot are going to try to establish.
They aren't trying to establish a "beachhead".

They just want to live a half way decent, safe life. Like the rest of us. And they risk their lives because it's better than what they are leaving behind, which says something.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

two tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
They aren't trying to establish a "beachhead".

They just want to live a half way decent, safe life. Like the rest of us. And they risk their lives because it's better than what they are leaving behind, which says something.

I’m merely pointing out that someone sitting in New Zealand or Norfolk, for sake of argument, would look at that boatload of Africans, heading towards Europe, differently from someone like me who lives 7 kilometres as the crow flies from a possible nocturnal ‘Red Beach’, evidenced by the numbers of Africans gleaning the countryside around here for any bits of metal not actually concreted in.

Twice now I have had to have a polite word with two-man African teams making off with my neighbour’s homemade barbecue set (an oil drum and a few other bits of metal), pointing out it was needed. The second time, I was challenged as to what the hell it had to do with me and was I the owner of the property ? Putting the point more forcibly led to a stone-throwing incident that only ended when I had locked myself in my house. They left the set.

This is affecting my Spanish neighbours and myself now.

I live surrounded by 44 million pine trees in a National Forest. In pairs, the Africans make their way into the woods with a long bamboo pole and a white hessian bag. One of the Africans will shin up a pine tree (in boots - an unbelievable sight), whilst the other passes up the bamboo pole. He uses this to knock down pinecones from the trees, and the bloke at the bottom bags them up. They sell them later for firelighters.

Excellent enterprise, except for the fact that they used to have a liking for the pine tree on my property. They would bend over the chain-link fence (still do occasionally) climb in and climb up. The fact that the tree has the best view of the hillside and most of the houses on it probably explains why. I have the telephone number of a neighbour with a licensed shotgun, and the number of visits have now tailed off.

Stuff is going missing, and the locals are now using their guns on sight.

Remember that these ‘people who are only trying to better themselves’ are coming into a region with 21% unemployment. It’s a bit like a boatload of Africans pitching-up on the beach at Jarrow just before The March and asking if there was ‘any chance of anything ?’.

How the hell are they expected to better themselves except by crime ?
Old Jun 24th 2014, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of issues around the current global levels of conflict. My problem is with the title and tone it immediately sets.

Clearly Europe (or the US, Canada, Australia) cannot absorb everyone displaced by various disasters in the world. So let's look at what to do about it, not demonize these people. Who would want to be in their position? Could we even imagine it?
Old Jun 24th 2014, 2:34 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
There are a lot of issues around the current global levels of conflict. My problem is with the title and tone it immediately sets.

Clearly Europe (or the US, Canada, Australia) cannot absorb everyone displaced by various disasters in the world. So let's look at what to do about it, not demonize these people. Who would want to be in their position? Could we even imagine it?
Well, it's all about pine cones, innit?
Old Jun 24th 2014, 2:41 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I’m merely pointing out that someone sitting in New Zealand or Norfolk, for sake of argument, would look at that boatload of Africans, heading towards Europe, differently from someone like me who lives 7 kilometres as the crow flies from a possible nocturnal ‘Red Beach’, evidenced by the numbers of Africans gleaning the countryside around here for any bits of metal not actually concreted in.

Twice now I have had to have a polite word with two-man African teams making off with my neighbour’s homemade barbecue set (an oil drum and a few other bits of metal), pointing out it was needed. The second time, I was challenged as to what the hell it had to do with me and was I the owner of the property ? Putting the point more forcibly led to a stone-throwing incident that only ended when I had locked myself in my house. They left the set.

This is affecting my Spanish neighbours and myself now.

I live surrounded by 44 million pine trees in a National Forest. In pairs, the Africans make their way into the woods with a long bamboo pole and a white hessian bag. One of the Africans will shin up a pine tree (in boots - an unbelievable sight), whilst the other passes up the bamboo pole. He uses this to knock down pinecones from the trees, and the bloke at the bottom bags them up. They sell them later for firelighters.

Excellent enterprise, except for the fact that they used to have a liking for the pine tree on my property. They would bend over the chain-link fence (still do occasionally) climb in and climb up. The fact that the tree has the best view of the hillside and most of the houses on it probably explains why. I have the telephone number of a neighbour with a licensed shotgun, and the number of visits have now tailed off.

Stuff is going missing, and the locals are now using their guns on sight.

Remember that these ‘people who are only trying to better themselves’ are coming into a region with 21% unemployment. It’s a bit like a boatload of Africans pitching-up on the beach at Jarrow just before The March and asking if there was ‘any chance of anything ?’.

How the hell are they expected to better themselves except by crime ?
So they must be pretty desperate to risk their lives for that then, eh?

So it would be more to the point to stop trying to build futile walls to keep out human waves of misery and instead focus on doing something about the conditions they are fleeing.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

So they must be pretty desperate to risk their lives for that then, eh?

So it would be more to the point to stop trying to build futile walls to keep out human waves of misery and instead focus on doing something about the conditions they are fleeing.
No. These are young, fit and able males on economic migration.

Last edited by two tubes of toothpaste; Jun 24th 2014 at 3:06 am.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 3:05 am

No. These are young, fit and able males on economic migration.
Ie. desperate enough to let you shoot at them for pine cones.

What exactly do you suppose they left that makes them willing to do that?
Old Jun 24th 2014, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Ie. desperate enough to let you shoot at them for pine cones.

What exactly do you suppose they left that makes them willing to do that?
Ah ! You misunderstand.

The pine cones bit is a cover for looking over remote properties and opportunistic theft.

What they left ?

Poverty. Films, TV, and magazines show them that Europe's streets are paved with gold and that a bright youngster can make a decent living, just by being there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.