Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Growing more food in Britain

Growing more food in Britain

Old Oct 19th 2017, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Growing more food in Britain

Originally Posted by bobd22
I recently had a conversation with an elderly farmer who had recently retired and sold up. He mentioned how the EU changed farming in the UK. He said it was basically his accountant who told him year by year as to what crops he should plant. Reason being it was all down to where the current subsidies were. He also mentioned that the days of employing lots of farmorkers were gone as technology takes over when farming at larger scale. Also the way it is going in England building housing estate on housing estate likely that not long after we leave the EU there will be no land left to farm.
Well I can only comment on Ireland and we've been in the EU as long as the UK. While some old school farmers complain and I agree that some laws don't make sense, they seem to forget that they have also had a lot of support (grants etc.). Those farmers complaining are often the ones who used pesticides, burnt their rubbish or just dug a hole to get rid off it. Now you have a lot more controls and we need to protect our environment, so I don't see that as a negative. You also can't expect that everything is like 40 years ago and have to adapt to the market. There are plenty of other opportunities out there and you just have to be creative. I no longer use a typewriter at work.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

I recently had a conversation with an elderly farmer who had recently retired and sold up. He mentioned how the EU changed farming in the UK. He said it was basically his accountant who told him year by year as to what crops he should plant. Reason being it was all down to where the current subsidies were. He also mentioned that the days of employing lots of farmorkers were gone as technology takes over when farming at larger scale. Also the way it is going in England building housing estate on housing estate likely that not long after we leave the EU there will be no land left to farm.
Only certain crops and methods attract subsidies and that's the only way they are viable, technology has changed farming but we still employed over a 1000 during picking season.
I don't believe there is a land shortage for building, have a look on google earth, it's mainly nimbi's that stop it.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Well I can only comment on Ireland and we've been in the EU as long as the UK. While some old school farmers complain and I agree that some laws don't make sense, they seem to forget that they have also had a lot of support (grants etc.). Those farmers complaining are often the ones who used pesticides, burnt their rubbish or just dug a hole to get rid off it. Now you have a lot more controls and we need to protect our environment, so I don't see that as a negative. You also can't expect that everything is like 40 years ago and have to adapt to the market. There are plenty of other opportunities out there and you just have to be creative. I no longer use a typewriter at work.
I am not criticising anything just sharing what I was told by someone who had farmed since before ww2 and how things have changed as farming has progressed and become more technical. As for pesticides the same farmer mentioned that the uk developed a pesticide specifically to be bee friendly as we all know that bees which we all need are declining. Seemingly it is the EU that stops this pesticide being used as it is banned by the EU? Again not a criticism as there may well be reasons for the ban.Nothing stays the same in the world if uk leaves EU we will not suddenly go back to old pre 70s methods of farming that's for sure.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

I am not criticising anything just sharing what I was told by someone who had farmed since before ww2 and how things have changed as farming has progressed and become more technical. As for pesticides the same farmer mentioned that the uk developed a pesticide specifically to be bee friendly as we all know that bees which we all need are declining. Seemingly it is the EU that stops this pesticide being used as it is banned by the EU? Again not a criticism as there may well be reasons for the ban.Nothing stays the same in the world if uk leaves EU we will not suddenly go back to old pre 70s methods of farming that's for sure.
https://www.newscientist.com/article...-killing-bees/
Old Oct 20th 2017, 8:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Labour problem solved -

Illegal migrants hope Brexit provides opportunity

Who says crime doesn't pay!
Old Oct 20th 2017, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Labour problem solved -

Illegal migrants hope Brexit provides opportunity
Hub
Who says crime doesn't pay!
The sooner they are deported the better, many UK workers would happily work in a fast food shop but not for £15 to £20 a day ....even with free chicken!
Old Oct 21st 2017, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

why not,it.s work & could lead to a better job & a free chicken a day is a bonus!
Old Oct 21st 2017, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dougal03
why not,it.s work & could lead to a better job & a free chicken a day is a bonus!
Yes maybe after a few years £25 a day and a bag of chips
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
I don't believe there is a land shortage for building, have a look on google earth, it's mainly nimbi's that stop it.
My comment did have an hint of sarcasm but it depends upon where one is living. I comment on the area of UK I am living. My bet is the NIMBY's you mention are Mr Barrat or Persimmon and the likes who will live in beautiful areas with green space around them. The village I live in has fought a Barrat development for years to prevent an housing estate being built which will increase the village housing stock by over a third. This is a small NE former mining village hardly NIMBY,s given around a third of the housing stock is council properties. The new housing estate is being built on land under which in an historic mining disaster over 200 men died and is currently used for farming.

Last edited by Rosemary; Oct 22nd 2017 at 11:01 am. Reason: corrected quote
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Well,Rotor I live in Spain & 15 pounds a day & a free chicken sounds not so bad(+ maybe a bag of chips after long service!)AND Chris.Grayling says you could grow your own if you have the misfortune to still be resident in UK.Think about the pride!
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 2:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Well,Rotor I live in Spain & 15 pounds a day & a free chicken sounds not so bad(+ maybe a bag of chips after long service!)AND Chris.Grayling says you could grow your own if you have the misfortune to still be resident in UK.Think about the pride!
That's the spirit, Dig for victory!

Not sure it's possible to grow pizzas!
Old Oct 24th 2017, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

£1.50 p.h ? really? , I`ll find you a job
Old Oct 25th 2017, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the offer,but no need.I,ve always been self-employed.I did though,as a little hobby,one year grew tomatoes when I lived in Devon.Actually I had so much produce I realised that neighbours were avoiding me in the street as I continued throughout the season,pressing them to take some.In Spain I grew beans in a trough on the balcony but stopped as to water them was costing more than buying from the local market.It does amaze me still that some Brits.come to southern europe & say they are"going to be self-sufficient"We had a special water rate as it was necessary for our business & a friend bought a property in a mountain village where he had a concession where water was pumped onto his planted area at various times.Even if it coincided with the autumn deluge!