Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The caliphate of Andalus.

The caliphate of Andalus.

Old Jul 8th 2014, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The caliphate of Andalus.

Originally Posted by pedro pete
The word 'Soul', in a far more fitting context!
I did try to quote your "As for a soul, what exactly is that?" but the update won't do that with YouTube links, if that is what HBG is trying to say...I don't understand his post.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 7:01 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lutonlad
My thoughts as well. There are many on here who want to have a meaningful debate, whether I personally agree with them or not.

Others seem to want to make some sort of point via an abstruse comment, image or video that they think puts them on a higher intellectual plane.
These same people take every opportunity to espouse anti Christian or anti western views on any topic they can twist.

As you say, maybe they have issues.

By the way. Having travelled the Southern States fairly extensively, I take great exception to the sweeping statement made in an earlier post.
Another example of twisted views I suppose.
So it would be better for you if we all just agree with the general mood of the majority of posters then? You are mistaken if you think people are anti-Christian, we are anti religion. They are all stupid. As to the rest I just can't be bothered to reply to your whining, sorry.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 10:08 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
As a firm believer in Live and Let Live, I’m always encouraged by what others may assume to be daft posts. That Sally person’s video is a perfect example.

It’s irrelevant to the topic under discussion, but there could be many reasons for that. I don’t want to insult anyone, but certain medical conditions preclude the sufferers from being able to partake in proper discussions through no fault of their own.

Live and let Live, that’s my take on life.
you are being very magnanimous on that, I see it as a show-stopper, a way to start derailing the thread as they are bored with it

unless of course the poor misguided soul thought they were on the Siesta Time thread Life without Music.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 10:19 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi
At my age, "impossible"!! No, seriously, my son, who lives here also & is 34 speaks it fluently, but then he has youth on his side, & works for a Basque company.
I can get by, having been to evening classes, but the problem with it is that there's no reference to other languages, where sometimes you can half guess.
For instance, the word "eskuma" means 'right' (direction). In Spanish it's 'derecha', French = 'droit' & German 'rechts'. So with the Basque 'eskuma' you haven't a clue because you're clueless!! Wait till you get to the verbs.
They have what's known as the 'ergative' case, which means that if the verb is transitive (e.g. to buy) the "I" as in I bought an apple" takes a 'k', so it becomes 'nik sagarra bat erosi dut'. And if you said 'I bought 6 apples' boy, do you need to stop & think!! You now have apples in the plural & accusative case, so the participle of the verb is also plural!! 'Nik sei sagarra erosi dituzte'.
Are you still there or asleep??!!!!

And I'm supposed to be retired, having an easy life!!!!
I'm supposed to be retired, having an easy life, but I still keep trying to learn Spanish which is hard enough.
I also take an interest in languages and their roots and found it interesting you should use "eskuma" (right) as an example, but you didn't mention "izquierda" (left) which is surely common to both.
In fact, I have pointed out to several Spanish from the deep south of the CDS that their "izquierda" is actually a Basque word as are a number of "iz...." words commonly used and they have expressed some surprise at this.
Presumably more suppression of the Basque language.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
you are being very magnanimous on that, I see it as a show-stopper, a way to start derailing the thread as they are bored with it

unless of course the poor misguided soul thought they were on the Siesta Time thread Life without Music.
She certainly comes out with some gems.
I've not a clue what she's on about most of the time.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 2:51 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I was comforted by a news item on Sky News this morning. A young European Islamist (I think he was Dutch) was a member of Isis and he was teaching other young Europeans (mostly Brits) the art of bomb making in the new caliphate.

The serious interviewer then asked whether getting to this new country was difficult, not exactly like going on a package holiday. The Islamist laughed and said that was exactly what it was like, going on a package holiday.

Further on he was asked who was funding the Isis rebels and he laughed again. ‘Your government,’ he replied, laughing.

I did some research and I’m too embarrassed to state the outcome here.

They should slap a D notice on all that stuff and get rid off William Hague immediately.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
I'm supposed to be retired, having an easy life, but I still keep trying to learn Spanish which is hard enough.
I also take an interest in languages and their roots and found it interesting you should use "eskuma" (right) as an example, but you didn't mention "izquierda" (left) which is surely common to both.
In fact, I have pointed out to several Spanish from the deep south of the CDS that their "izquierda" is actually a Basque word as are a number of "iz...." words commonly used and they have expressed some surprise at this.
Presumably more suppression of the Basque language.
The Basque for 'left' is 'ezkerra' (not to be confused with 'esker' = thanks) from which I can only assume the Spanish word 'izquierda' is derived.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
As a firm believer in Live and Let Live, I’m always encouraged by what others may assume to be daft posts. That Sally person’s video is a perfect example.

It’s irrelevant to the topic under discussion, but there could be many reasons for that. I don’t want to insult anyone, but certain medical conditions preclude the sufferers from being able to partake in proper discussions through no fault of their own.

Live and let Live, that’s my take on life.
There is a serious problem with 'Live and let live'. I agree that that is the ideal. But it only works if everyone signs up to the same code. Unfortunately too may people think that the world will stay the same or get better if they do nothing. Unfortunately the opposite is true. The other problem is that we too often see the problem as one of race or religion but it really isn't. The racists see the problem a one of race. One radical religion will see it as a problem of another radical religion. But these are just labels crudely given to a large number of peoples a smaller number of whom are behaving in illegal, inhumane and racist/sexist homophobic etc. ways. If we look past all the races and all the religions and prosecute individuals on a global level any acts which are racist/sexist illegal etc. the world would be a better place. Unfortunately that would take a consensus on what is and what isn't humane/ right/moral. There are white catholic males who subject their wives to abuse. There are Moslems who don't think of their wives as second class citizens. Even on a UK level. If the forces of law and order stopped pussyfooting around certain groups or attacking certain groups for their colour or religion and treated crime as crime regardless, things would change. They don't, they can't. The more the world goes to shit...the more it goes to shit Too many people want to live and let live if it doesn't affect them but will be up in arms when it does... Could trot out all the sayings about "and then they came for me" or "all it takes for evil to survive" etc. but the truth is Some very nasty B'strds are sucking all the goodness from the world bit by bit. The fair distribution of wealth (mega corps banks and equity trading etc.) some are sucking all the humanity and equality of life/lifestyle (radical religions). Some want more land whether that be those with bulldozers in Spain or those with mortars in Israel/Palestine and we none of us see the wood for the trees. A crime is a crime. If we all agree to "live and let live" except those that want to dominate...they will dominate.

Last edited by angiescarr; Sep 8th 2014 at 7:35 pm. Reason: correcting typos