Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

700,000 Seat rigged engines

700,000 Seat rigged engines

Old Oct 7th 2015, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

wilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 700,000 Seat rigged engines

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
You can check if your Seat is one of those affected here:-

Check Your Car

Apparently mine is not involved.
Don't worry the fix is announced today very straight forward and no effect on economy or performance. The words storm & tea cup spring to mind
Old Oct 7th 2015, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilsman77
Don't worry the fix is announced today very straight forward and no effect on economy or performance. The words storm & tea cup spring to mind
We will see after the software update, mind you what a huge storm and a massive teacup!!!!
Old Oct 7th 2015, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

The fix may be straightforward but the issue is one of trust.

VW have without conscience rigged the emissions when under test conditions.
If they have done this and it must have been instructed at high level what else are they rigging.
It makes a complete mockery of their claims to be at the forefront of design and manufacture of the most technologically up to date engines.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 700,000 Seat rigged engines

Not in the least surprised for Europe! I have kept quiet during the squabble about all this but am personally affected having last year bought a fully loaded Seat Alhambra for around £36k.
The tests in most of Europe are no-where near as strict as in California and I think with or without the bug the EA 189 engine would have passed.
I have the top spec 177bhp engine and know from experience that it will cruise for hrs in excess of 100mph with no sweat and return reasonable mpg when you consider it is shifting a brick. A medical emergency last week caused me to find out its top speed is well North of 120 mph and mated to the DSG gearbox will pootle along in sixth down to 35 mph then accelerate strongly if it is needed.
My engine code is not one of the EA 189 series so I was surprised when I put it into the Seat website it came up as a recall. It is fitted with the Urea injection system as pioneered by Scania and used on most of VW GROUP heavy trucks. It has a separate urea tank that holds about 18 ltrs and injects into the exhaust flow to keep the Nox levels low. I can only assume that they wrote one sftware for the ECU and typical of all huge car manufacture dip in the parts bin for one that suits and bingo you've got it.
I talked this through with my mechanic yesterday (he bought a 140 bhp Q3 at the same time as I bought the Alhambra so is definitely due for the recall) and we concluded that mine is best left alone since it might affect the bhp and mpg which I don't want.
The 2015 model has an engine with a 184 bhp output which could be just re-map of the ECU to improve the Nox so I might take mine into an aftermarket "chipper" and see what they can do for me.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Oct 7th 2015 at 9:20 am.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 9:24 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

On the UK news this morning they said VW were starting the recall in January, and, in most cases it would be a simple software fix, but some vehicles might need to have their cat converter changed.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

wilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
Not in the least surprised for Europe! I have kept quiet during the squabble about all this but am personally affected having last year bought a fully loaded Seat Alhambra for around £36k.
The tests in most of Europe are no-where near as strict as in California and I think with or without the bug the EA 189 engine would have passed.
I have the top spec 177bhp engine and know from experience that it will cruise for hrs in excess of 100mph with no sweat and return reasonable mpg when you consider it is shifting a brick. A medical emergency last week caused me to find out its top speed is well North of 120 mph and mated to the DSG gearbox will pootle along in sixth down to 35 mph then accelerate strongly if it is needed.
My engine code is not one of the EA 189 series so I was surprised when I put it into the Seat website it came up as a recall. It is fitted with the Urea injection system as pioneered by Scania and used on most of VW GROUP heavy trucks. It has a separate urea tank that holds about 18 ltrs and injects into the exhaust flow to keep the Nox levels low. I can only assume that they wrote one sftware for the ECU and typical of all huge car manufacture dip in the parts bin for one that suits and bingo you've got it.
I talked this through with my mechanic yesterday (he bought a 140 bhp Q3 at the same time as I bought the Alhambra so is definitely due for the recall) and we concluded that mine is best left alone since it might affect the bhp and mpg which I don't want.
The 2015 model has an engine with a 184 bhp output which could be just re-map of the ECU to improve the Nox so I might take mine into an aftermarket "chipper" and see what they can do for me.
VW share price just jumped 7% hope you all took my advice and filled ya boots. The only way is up now.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Longlegpete
We will see after the software update, mind you what a huge storm and a massive teacup!!!!
It's the jets being replaced also on 2.0's
VW have taken out the dead wood put the top guys in charge and at the same time protected the Brand brilliantly. No effect so far on sales across the VW Group so back to normal.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
50k euros for a Seat Alhambra? You got a bad deal

My apologies, I have just checked the website and you are correct! I would never have imagined a Seat Alhambra to be so expensive

It makes my fully loaded Honda CRV look cheap!

Last edited by cricketman; Oct 7th 2015 at 10:03 am.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cricketman
50k euros for a Seat Alhambra? You got a bad deal

My apologies, I have just checked the website and you are correct! I would never have imagined a Seat Alhambra to be so expensive

It makes my fully loaded Honda CRV look cheap!
I didnt evevn know that SEAT made a car that expensive?
Old Oct 7th 2015, 10:41 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You would be surprised. A fully specced top of the range Leon is just under £37k.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fred James
You would be surprised. A fully specced top of the range Leon is just under £37k.
I guess they are V Dubs after all… quality vehicles,
Old Oct 7th 2015, 11:09 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I think you mean Euros, Fred.

I don't know about Spain but it's possible to get good discounts on Seats in France. I got 17% off list price last year.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about Spain but it's possible to get good discounts on Seats in France. I got 17% off list price last year.
£36,479 is the price of one I have just built online at :-

http://configurator.seat.co.uk/seat-...?msk=1#carline
Old Oct 7th 2015, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 700,000 Seat rigged engines

I didnt evevn know that SEAT made a car that expensive?
A car is a ten year project for us, the just handed down top spec VW Sharan did 148,000 miles for us and with only one or two hiccups was outstanding now doing stirling service for my daughter and new grandson. Only required annual service and consumables over the whole time. On a cost per year or per mile not a bad bargin since it is still in the family and going strong for a while yet I guess.
They are lining up for the Alhambra but they will have 9 years to wait unless I check out first.

At the other end of the scale I have just changed my runabout a 16 year old Skoda Felicia brought down and registered in Spain. Only 68,000 miles but they gave me a scrapage €3000 for it against a new Skoda Fabia for €6000. Brilliant 3 cylinder petrol engine never had anything like it before but have since found VW are world leaders in that technology as well.
Cost £6000 new in UK all those years ago gave stirling service first to me and then my daughter then we scraped it in UK for £3000 so not a bad deal for 16 years almost just annual service costs.
No we don't throw our cash at cars they have to earn their keep but the Alhambra is probably our last one so we wanted something a bit special and it is. The Sat Nav is not as good as my after-market Snooper which is not the end of the world but irksome to have two running. If I could just figure out how to put the Snooper software on the Alhambra that would be perfection.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

SEAT & SKODA were discounting in line with the VAT rate last year not any more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.