Is it hard to find any job?

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 1:19 pm
Richie

Default Is it hard to find any job?

Hello! I read many posts about poor job market in Canada but most of them was about
IT jobs. How are other jobs? Is that really hard to find any job? How much could one
get if one has no skills (or is a computer programmer ) in ordinary jobs like in
werehouse or in factory? I'm preparing to move to Canada but I'm afraid of being
unemployed. regards Richie

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 1:52 pm
Richie

Default Re: Is it hard to find any job?

Uzytkownik "Stuart Brook" <[email protected] > napisal w
wiadomosci news:3D74BF-
[email protected]
    > It really depends on the local situation at the time of arrival. If you have no
    > skills, how do you propose to be accepted for immigration ?

I have skills in IT and I got pr visa already. But I wonder it is better to get any
job than wait for IT jobs and lost all money.

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 1:54 pm
Stuart Brook

Richie wrote:
    > Hello! I read many posts about poor job market in Canada but most of them was about
    > IT jobs. How are other jobs? Is that really hard to find any job? How much could
    > one get if one has no skills (or is a computer programmer ) in ordinary jobs like
    > in werehouse or in factory? I'm preparing to move to Canada but I'm afraid of being
    > unemployed. regards Richie

It really depends on the local situation at the time of arrival. If you have no
skills, how do you propose to be accepted for immigration ?

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 2:17 pm
Rahul

Hello guys ...

It is hard but not impossible to find a job in IT field. Still companies are
looking for programmers and analysts. You need to be confident and convincing about
your skills.

Best of luck

Rahul

"Richie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Uzytkownik "Stuart Brook"
<[email protected] >
[q1]> napisal w wiadomosci
    > ]news:[email protected] a.ca
    > >
    > > It really depends on the local situation at the time of arrival. If you have no
    > > skills, how do you propose to be accepted for immigration ?
    > I have skills in IT and I got pr visa already. But I wonder it is better
to
    > get any job than wait for IT jobs and lost all money.

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 5:39 pm
Stuart Brook

But I wonder it is better
    > to
    > > get any job than wait for IT jobs and lost all money.

There's nothing to stop you looking for another job having landed a less attractive
job to keep you until the right offer comes along!

Your situation is what matters and only you can weight that up! Personally, I'd do
everything I could to preserve my savings.

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 5:51 pm
The Wizzard

and of course while you are sending out resumes and networkign etc it makes sense to
take any job you can get meanwhile rather than just sitting around waiting. you never
know who you will meet as well, my brother (in the UK not Canada but still) got a
part tiem job working in a local pub while at university and there he met a fellow
barperson who's husband happened to be the head administrator to a huge mainframe at
a local big business and when she mentioned it to him she got him a 4 week
'placement' there paid and then he got told he could come back and apply for a job
ince he graduated. So you never know who you may meet where, and many jobs are found
through this kind of unadvertised networking rather than just replying to job adverts
and postings on say monster.ca, if there are several applicants for a job but you
have a referance or good word from a current well respected employee then you have an
advantage.

Drew

"Rahul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
.is.net.cable.rogers.com
    > Hello guys ...
    > It is hard but not impossible to find a job in IT field. Still companies are
    > looking for programmers and analysts. You need to be confident and convincing about
    > your skills.
    > Best of luck
    > Rahul
    > "Richie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Uzytkownik "Stuart Brook"
    > <[email protected] >
    > > napisal w wiadomosci news:[email protected] a.ca...
    > > >
    > > > It really depends on the local situation at the time of arrival. If
you
    > > > have no skills, how do you propose to be accepted for immigration ?
    > >
    > > I have skills in IT and I got pr visa already. But I wonder it is better
    > to
    > >
    > >
    > >

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 8:20 pm
Ben

This is all bullshit!! If you don't have any 'canadian experience'....you get no job
out here (even in gas stations, warehouses, etc.). Now you would ask that if you
don't get the first break, how could you get a canadian experience!? Well, you are
very right.....and my friend, this is the question that I used to ask myself whenever
I was rejected all jobs due to the same reason! And my answer was that 'buddy! this
is how things work out here!'

It is very sad but true that even having a 10 year IT experience in very good
companies of US or anywhere else....the employers still look for a 'canadian'
experience. Hah! That makes me laugh...any 'windows' version behaves the same way in
any country...so how does that matter!? But my friend, it does matter in Canada!

I don't want to discourage you...but want to prepare you for the hardships and
surprises which are awaiting you in Canada. Just be bold and stick to yourself...and
you might land up with a night shift as a security guard one day!! And wait for a
little longer...you might become a manager of the same company, never realising that
all the hard work that you had put in your studies and all your degrees....seem to
have gone all waste in Canada!

But don't worry...if you are really lucky...you will get a decent job someday! So
just fight with your destiny while in Canada, especially those early few days...or
maybe months!

Best of luck!

Ben.

"Rahul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] ble.rogers.com>...
    > Hello guys ...
    > It is hard but not impossible to find a job in IT field. Still companies are
    > looking for programmers and analysts. You need to be confident and convincing about
    > your skills.
    > Best of luck
    > Rahul
    > "Richie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Uzytkownik "Stuart Brook"
    > <[email protected] >
    > > napisal w wiadomosci news:[email protected] a.ca...
    > > >
    > > > It really depends on the local situation at the time of arrival. If you have
    > > > no skills, how do you propose to be accepted for immigration ?
    > >
    > > I have skills in IT and I got pr visa already. But I wonder it is better
    > to
    > >
    > >
    > >

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 8:29 pm
Stuart Brook

Ben wrote:
    > This is all bullshit!! If you don't have any 'canadian experience'....you get no
    > job out here (even in gas stations, warehouses, etc.). Now you would ask that if
    > you don't get the first break, how could you get a canadian experience!? Well, you
    > are very right.....and my friend, this is the question that I used to ask myself
    > whenever I was rejected all jobs due to the same reason! And my answer was that
    > 'buddy! this is how things work out here!'

And that's equally bullshit too. Attitude is everything ... you let a bad attitude
like this show and buddy, you don't get a job.

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 8:36 pm
Bianca

Hi Ben,

I was shocked with your comment, If you don't have any 'canadian experience'....you
get no job out here (even in gas stations, warehouses, etc.). If that's the case new
immigrants will not gonna have a job in Canada cause most of them don't have any
canadian job experience. In this statement i don't agree. I've got a lot of new
immigrant friends doesnt have a hard time to do a job, it so happen that it's not in
line with their previous professions. So a lot of sacrifices must be made at this
moment especially if you have a family to be raised. They have no canadian
experience but still they got a job.

All that i can say for new immigrants, since the economy is not too good at this
moment, don't choose jobs when you arrive and don't expect high salary right away
even if you have a very great job experience and education. Even PHD's were
having hard time to find a job. It also depends on the attitude of new
immigrants. if you easily discouraged, bad for you. but if have faith, good for
you.....life must go on.

Bianca

"Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] om...
    > This is all bullshit!! If you don't have any 'canadian experience'....you get no
    > job out here (even in gas stations, warehouses, etc.). Now you would ask that if
    > you don't get the first break, how could you get a canadian experience!? Well, you
    > are very right.....and my friend, this is the question that I used to ask myself
    > whenever I was rejected all jobs due to the same reason! And my answer was that
    > 'buddy! this is how things work out here!'
    > It is very sad but true that even having a 10 year IT experience in very good
    > companies of US or anywhere else....the employers still look for a 'canadian'
    > experience. Hah! That makes me laugh...any 'windows' version behaves the same way
    > in any country...so how does that matter!? But my friend, it does matter in Canada!
    > I don't want to discourage you...but want to prepare you for the hardships and
    > surprises which are awaiting you in Canada. Just be bold and stick to
    > yourself...and you might land up with a night shift as a security guard one day!!
    > And wait for a little longer...you might become a manager of the same company,
    > never realising that all the hard work that you had put in your studies and all
    > your degrees....seem to have gone all waste in Canada!
    > But don't worry...if you are really lucky...you will get a decent job someday! So
    > just fight with your destiny while in Canada, especially those early few days...or
    > maybe months!
    > Best of luck!
    > Ben.
    > "Rahul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] ble.rogers.com>...
    > > Hello guys ...
    > >
    > > It is hard but not impossible to find a job in IT field. Still companies are
    > > looking for programmers and analysts. You need to be confident and convincing
    > > about your skills.
    > >
    > > Best of luck
    > >
    > > Rahul
    > >
    > >
    > > "Richie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > Uzytkownik "Stuart Brook"
    > > <[email protected] >
    > > > napisal w wiadomosci news:[email protected] a.ca...
    > > > >
    > > > > It really depends on the local situation at the time of arrival. If
you
    > > > > have no skills, how do you propose to be accepted for immigration ?
    > > >
    > > > I have skills in IT and I got pr visa already. But I wonder it is
better
    > > to
    > > > get any job than wait for IT jobs and lost all money.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >

Old Sep 4th 2002, 1:16 am
The Wizzard

if it was true that no immigrant could get a job in Canada then the unemployment
would have risen by what 220,000 people every year iregardless of the Canadians, i
dont think Canadas unemployed has gone up 1 million people every 4 years just from
immigrants. I just read a post on a different board from a member of our
britaintocanadaimmigration yahoo group who went to Montreal earlier this year. He
had no Canadian experience before he went and has a PhD so your typical over
qualified immigrant with no experience who should end up driving a cab right? wrong,
he found himself a job teaching at a local college, he had to give a presentation to
show what he knew, they thought it was great irrelevant that he is in Quebec, as an
englishman just learning french. He says he loves it there and they pay him way more
than theyd pay him for a similar job in the UK etc etc. So you see you can find the
jobs if you look and try and go and make an impression on people and show them what
you can do. If a guy from England with no Canadian experience and who decided he
would learn french and go to Quebec instead of regular Canadian immigration for the
challenge can find himself a job in Montreal then i think that shows something. Like
Stuart said, its in your attitude, if you sit around believeing no one will hire
you, just posting your resume on a few internet boards and so forth then what hope
do you have? you have to go out there and meet people and network and prove yoruself
and show them that the fact you have no Canadian experience is irrelevant cos you
can do the job anyway.

"Bianca" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Ben,
    > I was shocked with your comment, If you don't have any 'canadian experience'....you
    > get no job out here (even in gas stations, warehouses, etc.). If that's the case
    > new immigrants will not gonna have
a
    > job in Canada cause most of them don't have any canadian job experience.
In
    > this statement i don't agree. I've got a lot of new immigrant friends doesnt have
    > a hard time to do a job, it so happen that it's not in line
with
    > their previous professions. So a lot of sacrifices must be made at this moment
    > especially if you have a family to be raised. They have no
canadian
    > experience but still they got a job.
    > All that i can say for new immigrants, since the economy is not too good
at
    > this moment, don't choose jobs when you arrive and don't expect high
salary
    > right away even if you have a very great job experience and education.
Even
    > PHD's were having hard time to find a job. It also depends on the
attitude
    > of new immigrants. if you easily discouraged, bad for you. but if have faith,
    > good for you.....life must go on.
    > Bianca
    > "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message [url="news:d7cfb7af.0209031220.7c-[/q1]
[q1]> [email protected]"]news:[email protected] om[-

> /url]...
    > > This is all bullshit!! If you don't have any 'canadian experience'....you get no
    > > job out here (even in gas stations, warehouses, etc.). Now you would ask that if
    > > you don't get the first break, how could you get a canadian experience!? Well,
    > > you are very right.....and my friend, this is the question that I used to ask
    > > myself whenever I was rejected all jobs due to the same reason! And my answer was
    > > that 'buddy! this is how things work out here!'
    > >
    > > It is very sad but true that even having a 10 year IT experience in very good
    > > companies of US or anywhere else....the employers still look for a 'canadian'
    > > experience. Hah! That makes me laugh...any 'windows' version behaves the same way
    > > in any country...so how does that matter!? But my friend, it does matter in
    > > Canada!
    > >
    > > I don't want to discourage you...but want to prepare you for the hardships and
    > > surprises which are awaiting you in Canada. Just be bold and stick to
    > > yourself...and you might land up with a night shift as a security guard one day!!
    > > And wait for a little longer...you might become a manager of the same company,
    > > never realising that all the hard work that you had put in your studies and all
    > > your degrees....seem to have gone all waste in Canada!
    > >
    > > But don't worry...if you are really lucky...you will get a decent job someday! So
    > > just fight with your destiny while in Canada, especially those early few
    > > days...or maybe months!
    > >
    > > Best of luck!
    > >
    > > Ben.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > "Rahul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected] ble.rogers.com>...
    > > > Hello guys ...
    > > >
    > > > It is hard but not impossible to find a job in IT field. Still companies are
    > > > looking for programmers and analysts. You need to be confident and convincing
    > > > about your skills.
    > > >
    > > > Best of luck
    > > >
    > > > Rahul
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > "Richie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > >
    > > > > Uzytkownik "Stuart Brook"
    > > > <[email protected] >
    > > > > napisal w wiadomosci news:[email protected] a.ca...
    > > > > >
    > > > > > It really depends on the local situation at the time of arrival.
If
    > you
    > > > > > have no skills, how do you propose to be accepted for immigration
?
    > > > >
    > > > > I have skills in IT and I got pr visa already. But I wonder it is
    > better
    > > > to
    > > > > get any job than wait for IT jobs and lost all money.
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >

Old Sep 4th 2002, 8:30 am
Bodza Bodza

"Bianca" wrote:

> I was shocked with your comment, If you don't have any 'canadian experience'....you
    > get no job out here (even in gas stations, warehouses, etc.). If that's the case
    > new immigrants will not gonna have a job in Canada cause most of them don't have
    > any canadian job experience.

He's only half right. There definitely *is* the "no canadian experience" problem and
although it's despicable it's also not *impossible* to get a job. When I was a
headhunter in Canada, I definitely was asked on several occasions for "no foreign
experience" will be considered. Most times they would accept US or UK experience,
sometimes only US experience, sometimes Western European. Most jobs were open BUT if
you had no "Canadian/US/UK/West European" typically you had to ask for a lower salary
but you were "untried". I guess the reasoning was that they "couldn't verify the
experience" and thus couldn't trust that the resumes were real. In some cases the
resumes weren't real. In one particular case, subsequently a good friend of mine, I
got a resume from a russian network administrator. In truth he had gone AWOL from the
russian army, had arrived in Canada, studied at DeVry and then made up a resume. The
point was, that he was GOOD at what he did, so even though he lied, he started off at
a lower salary because his "experience" was unverifiable. When he proved he was good
he moved to another job and using his "canadian" experience he got more money. This
is an example of how things actually work, rather than how things should work.

> They have no canadian experience but still they got a job.

That's right, it's a hurdle but not a roadblock.

> All that i can say for new immigrants, since the economy is not too good at this
    > moment, don't choose jobs when you arrive and don't expect high salary right away
    > even if you have a very great job experience and education. Even PHD's were
    > having hard time to find a job. It also depends on the attitude of new
    > immigrants. if you easily discouraged, bad for you. but if have faith, good for
    > you.....life must go on.

That's 100% right. It's attitude that will get your foot in the door. There
definitely IS the "no canadian experience" problem. I know that first hand and have
been on both sides of it, but it's not impossible.

There IS also, however, a situation which IS unfair and that is among the professions
e.g. accountancy, medicine etc, which is to not "recognize" foreign qualifications.
In many of these cases, e.g. a doctor with 10 years experience can not start working
as a doctor and has to retake all his/her exams over again before working in the
field. This is nothing more than a blatant attempt to protect Canadians from the
competition that foreigners bring to their shores. I suppose one could argue that
certificates can be forged etc and this is true, but there are many, many immigrants
caught in this loophole. So if you are one of these, bring extra money, because you
will have to go back to school if you want to start working. I suppose also, that if
you *do* actually complete the canadian course then there will be less competition
and as you have the canadian certification you will find a job more easily. There's
an upside to everything.

Old Sep 4th 2002, 4:12 pm
Ben

Hi Bianca,

I am surprised that you are shocked...but I am sure that many others would agree with
me because this is not just a story...this is my FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE! And I know of
lots of other similar real life examples as well.

Look...when you said that:

>I've got a lot of new immigrant friends doesnt have a hard time to do a job, it so
    >happen that it's not in line with their previous professions.

I agree with you...but that's what I said too! I had mentioned that usually you don't
land up with your-kind-of-jobs...for which you have got the technical education so
far...but with other kinds of jobs to sustain your family...and yes, sacrifices are
made! My question
is.....that if you have to do these kinds of jobs, other than your profession....you
can do that in your country too! New immigrants come here in search of new
opportunities and a good lifestyle...and look what they end up with! I think that
it is high time that we should be more clear to the immigrants and tell them that
LOOK! CANADA DOES NOT HAVE JOBS FOR YOU! And if you are ready to do jobs which you
dreaded in your own country...then you are welcome!

Bianca, I have seen lots of Engineers and Doctors going waste and that makes me sad!
Moreover....after the downfall in economy and especially in Silicon Valley...more
technical people are heading north towards Canada from the States to survive. Do you
know how educated and intelligent they are!? But what do they get...just NOTHING!
Believe it or not, Canada does not have that many technical jobs for them. At this
point...you would say that 'then why do those guys come here!?'.....I agree that they
make their mistakes...but I also know that it is a grave mistake on our side too by
keeping them in dark about the real situation over hear. Moreover....the Canadian
government thinks about increasing the POINTS! Hah! I ask that....what will do of so
many intelligent and educated guys!? Send them to fields for labor work, eh!? If that
is so....then why don't you JUST TELL THEM...so that they are prepared for that!?

My idea is again, NOT to discourage these guys...I know that a person who has any
kind of good education can survive in any condition...but at what cost!? THAT IS WHAT
I want to tell them so that they can weigh all pros and cons before coming here and
then don't blame the canadian government or the economy later!

Also...I would like to stress that I am a very practical person and would appreciate
if people who differ with me...should come up with ractional points rather than any
patriotic ones!

Thanks!

Ben.

"Bianca" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]> ...
    > Hi Ben,
    > new immigrants will not gonna have a job in Canada cause most of them don't have
    > any canadian job experience. In this statement i don't agree. I've got a lot of
    > new immigrant friends doesnt have a hard time to do a job, it so happen that it's
    > not in line with their previous professions. So a lot of sacrifices must be made
    > at this moment especially if you have a family to be raised. They have no canadian
    > experience but still they got a job.
    > All that i can say for new immigrants, since the economy is not too good at this
    > moment, don't choose jobs when you arrive and don't expect high salary right away
    > even if you have a very great job experience and education. Even PHD's were
    > having hard time to find a job. It also depends on the attitude of new
    > immigrants. if you easily discouraged, bad for you. but if have faith, good for
    > you.....life must go on.
    > Bianca
    > "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message [url="news:d7cfb7af.0209031220.7c-[/q1]
[q1]> [email protected]"]news:[email protected] om[-

> /url]...
    > > This is all bullshit!! If you don't have any 'canadian experience'....you get no
    > > job out here (even in gas stations, warehouses, etc.). Now you would ask that if
    > > you don't get the first break, how could you get a canadian experience!? Well,
    > > you are very right.....and my friend, this is the question that I used to ask
    > > myself whenever I was rejected all jobs due to the same reason! And my answer was
    > > that 'buddy! this is how things work out here!'
    > >
    > > It is very sad but true that even having a 10 year IT experience in very good
    > > companies of US or anywhere else....the employers still look for a 'canadian'
    > > experience. Hah! That makes me laugh...any 'windows' version behaves the same way
    > > in any country...so how does that matter!? But my friend, it does matter in
    > > Canada!
    > >
    > > I don't want to discourage you...but want to prepare you for the hardships and
    > > surprises which are awaiting you in Canada. Just be bold and stick to
    > > yourself...and you might land up with a night shift as a security guard one day!!
    > > And wait for a little longer...you might become a manager of the same company,
    > > never realising that all the hard work that you had put in your studies and all
    > > your degrees....seem to have gone all waste in Canada!
    > >
    > > But don't worry...if you are really lucky...you will get a decent job someday! So
    > > just fight with your destiny while in Canada, especially those early few
    > > days...or maybe months!
    > >
    > > Best of luck!
    > >
    > > Ben.

Old Sep 4th 2002, 6:18 pm
Bianca

Hi Ben,

Well said. I agree all what you've said and i already related it to my friends who
makes Canada as their ideal country to settle down. I already told them that you
have a good job at present, got for it! immigrating Canada? think it
later.........till good economy comes back. All that i can say, it depends on their
destiny and luck when it comes to immigrating here.

Ben, what i mean is you've made a wrong phrase that if you have no canadian
experience then you'll not gonna have a job here. So it means better tell
immigration to stop accepting immigrants! cz it adds more unemployment rate. am i
right? I think the right phrase is, be prepared when new immigrants will
arrive.....expect for the worst! but still they could find a job w/out canadian
experience.....am i right?

Bianca

"Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] om...
    > Hi Bianca,
    > I am surprised that you are shocked...but I am sure that many others would agree
    > with me because this is not just a story...this is my FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE! And I
    > know of lots of other similar real life examples as well.
    > Look...when you said that:
    > >I've got a lot of new immigrant friends doesnt have a hard time to do a job, it so
    > >happen that it's not in line
with
    > > their previous professions.
    > I agree with you...but that's what I said too! I had mentioned that usually you
    > don't land up with your-kind-of-jobs...for which you have got the technical
    > education so far...but with other kinds of jobs to sustain your family...and yes,
    > sacrifices are made! My question
    > is.....that if you have to do these kinds of jobs, other than your
    > profession....you can do that in your country too! New immigrants come here in
    > search of new opportunities and a good lifestyle...and look what they end up
    > with! I think that it is high time that we should be more clear to the
    > immigrants and tell them that LOOK! CANADA DOES NOT HAVE JOBS FOR YOU! And if
    > you are ready to do jobs which you dreaded in your own country...then you are
    > welcome!
    > Bianca, I have seen lots of Engineers and Doctors going waste and that makes me
    > sad! Moreover....after the downfall in economy and especially in Silicon
    > Valley...more technical people are heading north towards Canada from the States to
    > survive. Do you know how educated and intelligent they are!? But what do they
    > get...just NOTHING! Believe it or not, Canada does not have that many technical
    > jobs for them. At this point...you would say that 'then why do those guys come
    > here!?'.....I agree that they make their mistakes...but I also know that it is a
    > grave mistake on our side too by keeping them in dark about the real situation over
    > hear. Moreover....the Canadian government thinks about increasing the POINTS! Hah!
    > I ask that....what will do of so many intelligent and educated guys!? Send them to
    > fields for labor work, eh!? If that is so....then why don't you JUST TELL THEM...so
    > that they are prepared for that!?
    > My idea is again, NOT to discourage these guys...I know that a person who has any
    > kind of good education can survive in any condition...but at what cost!? THAT IS
    > WHAT I want to tell them so that they can weigh all pros and cons before coming
    > here and then don't blame the canadian government or the economy later!
    > Also...I would like to stress that I am a very practical person and would
    > appreciate if people who differ with me...should come up with ractional points
    > rather than any patriotic ones!
    > Thanks!
    > Ben.
    > "Bianca" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]> ...
    > > Hi Ben,
    > >
    > > I was shocked with your comment, If you don't have any 'canadian
    > > experience'....you get no job out here (even in gas stations, warehouses, etc.).
    > > If that's the case new immigrants will not gonna
have a
    > > job in Canada cause most of them don't have any canadian job experience.
In
    > > this statement i don't agree. I've got a lot of new immigrant friends doesnt
    > > have a hard time to do a job, it so happen that it's not in line
with
    > > their previous professions. So a lot of sacrifices must be made at this moment
    > > especially if you have a family to be raised. They have no
canadian
    > > experience but still they got a job.
    > >
    > > All that i can say for new immigrants, since the economy is not too good
at
    > > this moment, don't choose jobs when you arrive and don't expect high
salary
    > > right away even if you have a very great job experience and education.
Even
    > > PHD's were having hard time to find a job. It also depends on the
attitude
    > > of new immigrants. if you easily discouraged, bad for you. but if have faith,
    > > good for you.....life must go on.
    > >
    > > Bianca
    > >
    > > "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message [url="news:d7cfb7af.0209031220.7c-[/q2]
[q2]> > [email protected]"]news:[email protected] om[-

> > /url]...
    > > > This is all bullshit!! If you don't have any 'canadian experience'....you get
    > > > no job out here (even in gas stations, warehouses, etc.). Now you would ask
    > > > that if you don't get the first break, how could you get a canadian
    > > > experience!? Well, you are very right.....and my friend, this is the question
    > > > that I used to ask myself whenever I was rejected all jobs due to the same
    > > > reason! And my answer was that 'buddy! this is how things work out here!'
    > > >
    > > > It is very sad but true that even having a 10 year IT experience in very good
    > > > companies of US or anywhere else....the employers still look for a 'canadian'
    > > > experience. Hah! That makes me laugh...any 'windows' version behaves the same
    > > > way in any country...so how does that matter!? But my friend, it does matter in
    > > > Canada!
    > > >
    > > > I don't want to discourage you...but want to prepare you for the hardships and
    > > > surprises which are awaiting you in Canada. Just be bold and stick to
    > > > yourself...and you might land up with a night shift as a security guard one
    > > > day!! And wait for a little longer...you might become a manager of the same
    > > > company, never realising that all the hard work that you had put in your
    > > > studies and all your degrees....seem to have gone all waste in Canada!
    > > >
    > > > But don't worry...if you are really lucky...you will get a decent job someday!
    > > > So just fight with your destiny while in Canada, especially those early few
    > > > days...or maybe months!
    > > >
    > > > Best of luck!
    > > >
    > > > Ben.

Old Sep 4th 2002, 11:41 pm
Jason Brown

> will do of so many intelligent and educated guys!? Send them to fields for labor
    > work, eh!? If that is so....then why don't you JUST TELL THEM...so that they are
    > prepared for that!?
Oh yeah.. currently I am slogging it out in factories....

See what a British education and 4 years US experience gets me.. in CA.

Oh, now please don't reproach me with jibberish harangue about backup plans &c.

Got to go now... got to save the energy to unload more trucks on the morrow....

Alright!!

> My idea is again, NOT to discourage these guys...I know that a person who has any
    > kind of good education can survive in any condition...but at what cost!? THAT IS
    > WHAT I want to tell them so that they can weigh all pros and cons before coming
    > here and then don't blame the canadian government or the economy later!

Old Sep 5th 2002, 12:22 am
Chris

Richie my friend, Canada's economy is BOOMING! Anybody who lives in a big city, or at
least Toronto, will tell you that the construction industry cannot find enough
qualified workers for the hundreds of buildings/houses that are going to be built.
Just take a ride in and around Toronto, or GTA, and you will see brand-new
condominiums almost everywhere, and Markham/Richmond Hill is expending every year.
The pace of the construction industry and/or housing sale is one of the most
important indicators of the economy, when the economy performs well people are
confident in their future and they can spend their money. And that's what it's going
on right now, and that has been going on for at least a year. Car dealerships are
doing incredibly well, people buy cars/vans/trucks/p-u trucks. They buy because they
got the money. No money (the result of a poor performing economy), no car/house
sales. Manufacturing industry is doing well, transportation industry needs drivers to
run Canada-USA-Mexico. Therefore, who is saying that the Canada's economy is
performing poorly, I've read in this NG that Canada's economy is in recession (!!!!),
is just either stupid, blind, incapable to survive in capitalism, or they just don't
agree with the reality. Other thing, and that's for everybody, I don't know, but who
gave you the impression that Canada's economy is IT and only IT? Canada is the auto
industry, Canada is the manufacturing industry, Canada is the oil and gas + other
minerals industry, these are the major components of the Canadian economy. Everybody
should know it before getting here. I personally knew it before coming here ten years
ago. You just have to take any book about world's economy and you will see why Canada
is one of the G7 countries. And about IT, besides Nortel and JDS Uniphase, or rather
what's left of these two companies, there are no other major IT companies in Canada.
There is IBM (Steeles/Pharmacy and Don Mills/Eglinton), Microsoft and Oracle in
Mississauga, but these are subsidiaries of their US parent companies. They don't
employ a large number of people, and now they don't hire at all. Because the IT
industry, and ONLY the IT industry, is in recession. Thanks God, this has NO (zero)
impact on the Canadian economy. Moreover, Canada's economy is right now outperforming
the US economy, listen or watch any business reports and you will see the facts. But
if you people are coming here prepared for just one tiny sector of the economy, I
don't want to disappoint you, but you have most of the chances to fail it totally! If
you really want to succeed here, you gotta be prepared for anything, you gotta be
flexible! In capitalism only the strong ones survive, and when I mean strong I mean
those that have no problem adapting to any situation that might arise down the road,
good or bad. But if you think that is degrading to become, let's say, sales person,
or shipper/receiver, or truck driver, or insurance broker, or trader, or building
superintendent, or landscape worker, or any kind of contractor, or auto mechanic,
etc., that's besides finding a job in the auto/manufacturing/oil and gas industry,
well, I think it's better to reconsider starting a new life in this country. Sooner
or later you will have to spend your last penny you brought with you (which by that
time has been used by the Canadian economy, so we have to thank you very much for
your continuos support!!!), welfare payments are not going to make you happy, so
sooner or later you will go back to your mother land, and nobody but you will feel
the pain. We, Canadians, do not care that you, the newcomers, cannot have the ability
to swim into the "Canadian Ocean", we are just glad that people bring here money and
invest it into the Canadian economy (any bank deposit is an investment into the
economy, right?). Canada gives you the ticket to a new life, but it's up to you to
manage your future. Don't blame Canada for your eventual unsuccessful settlement in
this country. Chris

"Richie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hello! I read many posts about poor job market in Canada but most of them was
about
    > IT jobs. How are other jobs? Is that really hard to find any job? How much could
one
    > get if one has no skills (or is a computer programmer ) in ordinary jobs like in
    > werehouse or in factory? I'm preparing to move to Canada but I'm afraid of being
    > unemployed. regards Richie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.