Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Difficult to find a job in Canada?

Difficult to find a job in Canada?

Old Feb 16th 2002, 12:45 am
James

Default Difficult to find a job in Canada?

Since the week after I received the LP (Jan. 14, 2002), I began to post/send my
resumes to Candian companies ( I am an experienced programmer). Now, a month passed,
I haven't received even ONE reply/call from a potential recruiter. Looks like the job
market in Canada is at least as weak as, if not weaker than, other places in the
world that are suffering recession.

Seems I need to deposit as much money as I can, before I permantly move to Canada and
lead a life there.

James

Old Feb 16th 2002, 10:05 am
The Wizzard

Default Re: Difficult to find a job in Canada?

i think it's just a bad time. I have a lot of friends in the USA and in Canada who
are all computer people from programmers to systems engineers and all are complaining
about the job market at the moment, even people with 15+ years of experience are
having their rates cut and can't find work. One friend in paticular who has lots of
experience and until recently was commanding a 6 figure salary in the USA has found
himself having to take new work at half or a quater of old rates just to hold
something down, out of 100's of resumes he mailed out matching almost perfectly what
the people needed he recieved only a few tentative calls back. another friend was
saying how the jobs arent there and yet the market is still being saturated with
people churned out with just MSCE certificates and other stuff so that comapnies will
get rid of their experienced people o cut costs and then pick up a bunch of the other
guys for lower wages, seen a lot of tech jobs at minimum wage. but still i think
there is stuff out there if you keep trying.

Drew

--
Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

Old Feb 17th 2002, 1:45 pm
Mike

yes, it is brutal looking for a computer job in Canada... I have over 25 years
experience and I have been looking for a job for 2 years. Not even one phone call. I
don't know whether it will ever get better either. The Canadian economy keeps sinking
and the Canadian dollar is now at 62 cents.

Old Feb 19th 2002, 6:25 am
Greg Del Pilar

Mike:

Do you mind telling us how you survived without a job for two years? Did you happen
to have tons of savings? Where in Canada do you live, and how much approximately are
you spending each month?

I apologize that these questions are a bit too personal, but I'm just trying to
assess my own situation. Thanks!

Greg

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news[email protected]...
    > yes, it is brutal looking for a computer job in Canada... I have over 25 years
    > experience and I have been looking for a job for 2 years. Not even one phone call.
    > I don't know whether it will ever get better either. The Canadian economy keeps
    > sinking and the Canadian dollar is now at 62 cents.

Old Feb 19th 2002, 4:45 pm
Hani

Mike: same question to you, How did you survive for 2 years? I would really
appreciate you telling us. Again, like Greg, I am just trying to assess my own
situation, and I might as well postpone going to Canada if things are so bad now!

"Greg Del Pilar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] a>...
    > Mike:
    >
    > Do you mind telling us how you survived without a job for two years? Did you happen
    > to have tons of savings? Where in Canada do you live, and how much approximately
    > are you spending each month?
    >
    > I apologize that these questions are a bit too personal, but I'm just trying to
    > assess my own situation. Thanks!
    >
    > Greg
    >
    >
    > "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news[email protected]...
    > > yes, it is brutal looking for a computer job in Canada... I have over 25 years
    > > experience and I have been looking for a job for 2 years. Not even one phone
    > > call. I don't know whether it will ever get better either. The Canadian economy
    > > keeps sinking and the Canadian dollar is now at 62 cents.
    > >

Old Feb 20th 2002, 4:25 pm
Sk

I know atleast 3 cases all with Masters degree from US universities and had well
paying managerial jobs previously. One of them returned home, the other accepted a
job after 18 months at 40% of his earler pay; and the third still counting days to
complete his citizenship requirement (200 + days to go), living on his savings.

On the other hand, I met this guy who is an engineer and who accepted a job as a
secutiry guard within a month of his landing. After more than 2 years, he is sttill
working as security guard, and trying, trying....

Bottomline is, it all depends. Your ego, how desparate you are and your bank balance
will determine.

[email protected] (Hani) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > Mike: same question to you, How did you survive for 2 years? I would really
    > appreciate you telling us. Again, like Greg, I am just trying to assess my own
    > situation, and I might as well postpone going to Canada if things are so bad now!
    >
    > "Greg Del Pilar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected] a>...
    > > Mike:
    > >
    > > Do you mind telling us how you survived without a job for two years? Did you
    > > happen to have tons of savings? Where in Canada do you live, and how much
    > > approximately are you spending each month?
    > >
    > > I apologize that these questions are a bit too personal, but I'm just trying to
    > > assess my own situation. Thanks!
    > >
    > > Greg
    > >
    > >
    > > "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news[email protected]...
    > > > yes, it is brutal looking for a computer job in Canada... I have over 25 years
    > > > experience and I have been looking for a job for 2 years. Not even one phone
    > > > call. I don't know whether it will ever get better either. The Canadian economy
    > > > keeps sinking and the Canadian dollar is now at 62 cents.
    > > >
    >

Old Feb 20th 2002, 7:31 pm
suzannesuz

Just wondered if the IT Job situation is widespread in Canada, or are there more jobs available in different regions?
My husband and I are thinking about moving to Vancouver and we are both in IT as Ops Manager and Business Analyst and it is very interesting to read your comments

Old Feb 21st 2002, 3:05 am
Muhammad

I landed here 5 months ago and i couldn't find any job yet . I am out of Money now
and I have several years pharmaceutical sales experiences with very well-known
Multi-National compaies.

I have excellent computer skills as a user and excellent managerial skills.

I have sent my Resume to tens of companies in this field and even in other fields
like Housekeeping,Kitchen assistant,Janitorial,and Security guards positions but not
even a phone call.

I am a University graduate , but you always hear the same broken CD , they are
telling you : You don't have canadian experience , Do you?

ofcourse i don't have , So what shall i do ?

Isn't this a type of discrimination??

I have atteneded many Job Clubs and Job finidng sessions.

I do my job search in a professional way.

I have both Traditional resume and Online ( Byte-Able ) Resume..

But till now no job

Believe me , Canada is not a Heaven ..

Old Feb 21st 2002, 3:45 am
I Am Canadian

I've been in Canada for nearly 2 months now and I haven't found work yet either. My
small savings is dwindling quickly and I am a single parent with 2 children to care
for. I am very worried about my family's future. Sometimes I wonder if I should have
stayed in the UK. Can't afford to go back now. Was hoping for a better life...(SIGH)

"James" <@.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Seems I need to deposit as much money as I can, before I permantly move to Canada
    > and lead a life there.
    >
    > James

Old Feb 21st 2002, 6:06 am
Inon

You mean to say that - it's difficult to find a job unless one has experience in
Canada and even US experience is not valued/counted?

Old Feb 21st 2002, 9:06 am
Andres

[email protected] (muhammad) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > I landed here 5 months ago and i couldn't find any job yet . I am out of Money now
    > and I have several years pharmaceutical sales experiences with very well-known
    > Multi-National compaies.
    >
    > I have excellent computer skills as a user and excellent managerial skills.
    >
    > I have sent my Resume to tens of companies in this field and even in other fields
    > like Housekeeping,Kitchen assistant,Janitorial,and Security guards positions but
    > not even a phone call.

When I was there more than 2 years ago I sent over 100 applications. I had two types
of resume, 1 for my real profession and the other for odd jobs. The contents of 2nd
type of resume are all manufactured saying, I had cleaning, janitorial or gas station
attendant experience when in fact I did not have. It was the manufactured resume that
helped me found a job at a convenience store and gas station. I had to have more than
1 odd job (and don't sleep sometimes, doing "graveyard shift" which I equate to
graveyard) to survive while waiting for that dreamed professional which I realized
later to be nearly impossible in Canada.

> I am a University graduate , but you always hear the same broken CD , they are
    > telling you : You don't have canadian experience , Do you?

Canadian experience is just an excuse. The reality is there are so many unemployed
that companies can employ anyone who is usually overqualified at any time they want
and at minimum wage.

> ofcourse i don't have , So what shall i do ?
    >
    > Isn't this a type of discrimination??

You can say that but if there is a good job market or when there is big demand for
labor then companies would not have any choice but hire anyone available.

> I have atteneded many Job Clubs and Job finidng sessions.

Job clubs are of little use when there is an over supply of labor. And the sessions
at job clubs are awful. I remember attending 2 job clubs with the lecturers unable to
answer our questions! Half of the class quit after 3 days!

> I do my job search in a professional way.
    >
    > I have both Traditional resume and Online ( Byte-Able ) Resume..
    >
    > But till now no job
    >
    > Believe me , Canada is not a Heaven ..

Definitely, that is why 6 months after arrival, I prepared to leave. I felt I was
slowly being de-skilled. And at exactly 2 years in Canada, I said goodbye Canada! Now
I am in my profession and making three times more than my combined income from the
two odd jobs in Canada.

Old Feb 21st 2002, 10:05 am
Andres

"I Am Canadian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've been in Canada for nearly 2 months now and I haven't found work yet either. My
    > small savings is dwindling quickly and I am a single parent with 2 children to care
    > for. I am very worried about my family's future. Sometimes I wonder if I should
    > have stayed in the UK. Can't afford to go back now. Was hoping for a better
    > life...(SIGH)

It is quite dpressing reading posts like this. I was there for two years and I
sympathise as I had the same experience. The job situation looks to be worse than
several years ago. I left because of that. Just in time before I lost my skills
(de-skilling of skilled immigrants is a sad fact in Canada).

Anyway keep your spirits up and don't worry. Help is just around. There are
institutions that can help you if in case you exhaust your money. Look for community
services, do some volunteering which will eventually get you a job.

Canada is really tough. People should do their homework before making a decision. I
also made a mistake of going there but the positive point is that the horrible
experience taught me some good lessons.

>
    >
    > "James" <@.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Seems I need to deposit as much money as I can, before I permantly move to Canada
    > > and lead a life there.
    > >
    > > James

Old Feb 21st 2002, 10:25 am
Grant Henderson

After reading these posts..I've decided not go any more. I graduated last year
(computer science BSc) and have been contracting on Web development for approx a
year. I have applied to KAM, but it seems the world is having a IT recession.

I obviously have student loan fees to pay and the standard of living costs in
Canada are not relative to the exchange rate in the UK. So one goes down and one
stays the same.

What the hell are all these websites on a out "Canada has a shortage of IT
professionals...Sign up now"?????

In this new group it seems some people are getting in but not getting a job.

God luck to all of you Grant 'Dis-heartened Henderson

"I Am Canadian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I've been in Canada for nearly 2 months now and I haven't found work yet either. My
    > small savings is dwindling quickly and I am a single parent
with
    > 2 children to care for. I am very worried about my family's future. Sometimes I
    > wonder if I should have stayed in the UK. Can't afford to go back now. Was hoping
    > for a better life...(SIGH)
    >
    >
    >
    > "James" <@.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Seems I need to deposit as much money as I can, before I permantly move to Canada
    > > and lead a life there.
    > >
    > > James

Old Feb 21st 2002, 10:25 am
cml

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002 06:55:02 GMT, inon <[email protected]> wrote:
    >You mean to say that - it's difficult to find a job unless one has experience in
    >Canada and even US experience is not valued/counted?

Well, I landed 4 years ago and got myself a relevant job within a month. I
eventually steered away from my old comfortable profession. Yes, four years ago
certain computer professions were in high demand and I have witnessed people with
great profession in other field not getting anywhere. I have also seen even
native-born canadians with masters degree not getting jobs that they deserve. I am
happy where I am right now though people may wonder why I end up where I am. But the
bottomline is simple. Is money important for you? Do you just want to survive or
make lots of dough to have a even more comfortable life? You really have to grill
yourself these questions before you think about coming here. The grim reality is
that if you are going for the latter then I don't think this land is filled with
much opportunity. What's little left is already taken. Plus the economic downturn
has shredded off so much what was in demand couple years ago. Right now, no one
knows where and when the next trend is going to take off.

Old Feb 21st 2002, 3:25 pm
Enigmacmpr

The reality of the situation is so bad that none of the media/immigration
consultants/lawyers give you the real picture. These sharks are lining up their
pockets, while there is upward of 70% unemployment among immigrants.

I wish we had laws here like the U.S. where we can bring a class action lawsuit
against the Canadian Government for not delivering on the implicit agreement between
the Govt. and immigrant and false promises.

It is high time to light a fire under the Canadian Government's butt. They are only
interested in immigration, so that we with our hard earned dollars (the real one, not
the shitty loony) will prop their aging population and welfare state. I would not
give a shit about this freeloading if the Canadian Govt. would live up to it's side
of the contract.

Instead what I have come across is people who are depressed, suicidal and in deep
despair. This is not what the Canadian govt has advertized. This is false advertizing
and they should get their asses put in the sling for it.

regards, enigma

"Grant Henderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > After reading these posts..I've decided not go any more. I graduated last year
    > (computer science BSc) and have been contracting on Web development for approx a
    > year. I have applied to KAM, but it seems the world is having a IT recession.
    >
    > I obviously have student loan fees to pay and the standard of living costs in
    > Canada are not relative to the exchange rate in the UK. So one goes down and one
    > stays the same.
    >
    > What the hell are all these websites on a out "Canada has a shortage of IT
    > professionals...Sign up now"?????
    >
    > In this new group it seems some people are getting in but not getting a job.
    >
    > God luck to all of you Grant 'Dis-heartened Henderson
    >
    > "I Am Canadian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I've been in Canada for nearly 2 months now and I haven't found work yet either.
    > > My small savings is dwindling quickly and I am a single parent
    > with
    > > 2 children to care for. I am very worried about my family's future. Sometimes I
    > > wonder if I should have stayed in the UK. Can't afford to go back now. Was hoping
    > > for a better life...(SIGH)
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > "James" <@.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > Seems I need to deposit as much money as I can, before I permantly move to
    > > > Canada and lead a life there.
    > > >
    > > > James
    > >

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.