Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane question

Brisbane question

Old Jun 19th 2004, 11:51 am

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brisbane question

We are researching which areas are the best to live in outside Metroplitan Brisbane as there are restrictions on where we can settle..I have a list of postcodes, but that is, quite frankly, useless! Does anyone else have the same problem and please can you give me ideas on where is a very nice place to live?
Thanks
Old Jun 19th 2004, 11:59 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Brisbane question

Originally posted by lucyb
We are researching which areas are the best to live in outside Metroplitan Brisbane as there are restrictions on where we can settle..I have a list of postcodes, but that is, quite frankly, useless! Does anyone else have the same problem and please can you give me ideas on where is a very nice place to live?
Thanks

I think 4020 is the nearest into the city which allows you to be within the postcodes, this is Redcliffe.

I would look at this to find a list of what the areas are http://www1.auspost.com.au/postcodes/ then you can use this http://www.whereis.com.au/whereis/home.jsp to find out exactly where that is

Of course it'll be easier for you if people could just tell you where the areas are, but in the meantime this may help
Old Jun 19th 2004, 12:53 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Among others MrsDagboy and ABCDiamond will be able to help you.

Here's a site you may find useful...

http://www.abcdiamond.com/
Old Jun 19th 2004, 5:13 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

can u please tell me what u mean by there are restrictions on where u can settle as we plan on going to brisbane and have never heard of this,or is it me just being thick cheers jonni boy
Old Jun 19th 2004, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jonni boy
can u please tell me what u mean by there are restrictions on where u can settle as we plan on going to brisbane and have never heard of this,or is it me just being thick cheers jonni boy
jonni boy,

I think lucyb might be referring to Skilled - STNI (State Territory Nominated Independent) category migration. There's a restriction on which state or territory you can settle in.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Jun 19th 2004, 5:27 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for that i thought we had missed something on our visas
Old Jun 19th 2004, 5:45 pm

Hi there...

we are restricted as we dont have the full points so have to go for a designated area, we will only be on a 3 year Visa Then hopefully we will be able to get a PR visa.....
www.immi.gov.au has a full list of postcodes!

Lucy
Old Jun 19th 2004, 6:23 pm
petit gal

jillmorris is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lucyb
I asked this question too which are the best and worst places in brisbane and abcdiamond recommended Raby Bay- very expensive and to avoid Woodridge. I haven't found where these places are yet on the map but its something useful.
every where has it roses and thorns but its always useful to have some inside info.
Were hoping to go to Brisbane so if you have any useful tips to share they would be welcome.
Cheers JIll
Old Jun 19th 2004, 6:29 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by jillmorris
Hi Lucyb
I asked this question too which are the best and worst places in brisbane and abcdiamond recommended Raby Bay- very expensive and to avoid Woodridge. I haven't found where these places are yet on the map but its something useful.
every where has it roses and thorns but its always useful to have some inside info.
Were hoping to go to Brisbane so if you have any useful tips to share they would be welcome.
Cheers JIll

This is quite a useful site http://www.whereis.com.au/whereis/ma...ndId=1&level=5

zoom in and out till you get your bearings The link above is for Woodridge, but if you go 'home' you'll be able to find anywhere
Old Jun 19th 2004, 6:44 pm
petit gal

jillmorris is an unknown quantity at this point

The whereis.com.au is a really great site it has good clear maps that you can zoom out to see where a place is near so you can get your bearings of where it is.
What is Brisbane like for floods? With being near the coast, a river running through it. Is there much trouble in winter?
JIll
Old Jun 19th 2004, 6:56 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

The whereis.com.au is a really great site it has good clear maps that you can zoom out to see where a place is near so you can get your bearings of where it is.
What is Brisbane like for floods? With being near the coast, a river running through it. Is there much trouble in winter?
JIll

Not where I was living on the northside, never noticed any problems in the CBD either
Old Jun 20th 2004, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Are you sure that Redcliffe postcode comes under the designated postcodes for SIR visa?
Also be aware that you have to work in that designated area. No living at Redcliffe and commuting into Brisbane.
Old Jun 20th 2004, 4:28 am
ABCDiamond

JIll
No real floods with normal weather. But in the event of severe weather, who knows what may happen.

The worst one has been in 1974.

The 1974 Brisbane Flood was triggered by the weakening Cyclone Wanda which crossed the Queensland coast on 24 January some 150 kilometres north of Brisbane. The cyclone caused minor wind damage, but added heavy rainfall to an already saturated river catchment. Furthermore it triggered the monsoonal air mass over southern Queensland into periods of intense rain over a five day period.

Among the highest recordings were 1,318 mm (almost 60 inches); whilst in Brisbane itself 819 mm of rain fell, producing the worst city flooding in Australian history.

16 people died and 300 people were injured. 8,000 people were made homeless and 56 homes were swept away while1,600 homes were largely submerged. In all 13,000 buildings were affected with insurance claims totalling about $328 million. The total estimated cost however was closer to $980 million (in 1974 values), with road and bridge repairs alone costing $112 million.

Old Jun 20th 2004, 5:08 am
ABCDiamond

Heres a few of the Postcodes in the General Skilled migration program Designated Areas list (if this is the one being referred to) with Suburb names. I have a full QLD Post Code file if anyone wants it:
4019 CLONTARF
4019 HUMPYBONG
4019 MARGATE
4019 SCOTTS POINT
4019 WOODY POINT
4020 REDCLIFFE
4020 SCARBOROUGH
4021 KIPPA-RING
4022 ROTHWELL
4025 BULWER
4025 CAPE MORETON
4025 COWAN COWAN
4025 KOORINGAL
4025 TANGALOOMA
4037 EATONS HILL
4114 KINGSTON
4114 LOGAN CENTRAL
4114 TRINDER PARK
4114 WOODRIDGE
4118 BROWNS PLAINS
4118 BROWNSLEIGH
4118 FORESTDALE
4118 HERITAGE PARK
4118 HILLCREST
4118 REGENTS PARK
4124 BORONIA HEIGHTS
4124 GREENBANK
4124 LYONS
4124 NEW BEITH
4125 MUNRUBEN
4125 PARK RIDGE
4125 PARK RIDGE SOUTH
4127 CHATSWOOD HILLS
4127 DAISY HILL
4127 PRIESTDALE
4127 SLACKS CREEK
4127 SPRINGWOOD
4128 KIMBERLEY PARK
4128 LOGAN HYPERDOME BC
4128 SHAILER PARK
4128 TANAH MERAH
4129 LOGANDALE
4129 LOGANHOLME
4130 CARBROOK
4130 CORNUBIA
4131 LOGANLEA
4131 MEADOWBROOK
4132 CRESTMEAD
4132 MARSDEN
4133 CHAMBERS FLAT
4133 LOGAN RESERVE
4133 WATERFORD
4158 THORNESIDE
4159 BIRKDALE
4160 EROBIN
4160 ORMISTON
4160 WELLINGTON POINT
4161 ALEXANDRA HILLS
4163 CLEVELAND
4163 RABY BAY
4164 PINKLANDS
4164 THORNLANDS
4165 MOUNT COTTON
4165 POINT HALLORAN
4165 POINT TALBURPIN
4165 REDLAND BAY
4165 VICTORIA POINT
4183 AMITY
4183 AMITY POINT
4183 DUNWICH
4183 POINT LOOKOUT
4184 COOCHIEMUDLO ISLAND
4184 KARRAGARRA ISLAND
4184 LAMB ISLAND
4184 MACLEAY ISLAND
4184 PEEL ISLAND
4184 PERULPA ISLAND
4184 RUSSELL ISLAND

Postcode areas 4019-4028, 4037-4050, 4079-4100, 4114, 4118, 4124-4150, 4158-4168, 4180-4899 (anywhere except Brisbane metropolitan area) listing from: http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/ski...ated_areas.htm

The ones that I have not listed, prior to 4184 do not seem to have been allocated or shown in the Aust Post listings available.

Old Jun 20th 2004, 7:24 am

Thanks so much! That's exactly what I needed. ANy particular areas you would recommend over others?

Lucy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.