Reload this Page >

what is the childcare like??

what is the childcare like??

Old Mar 28th 2004, 10:07 am
Just Joined

lynnyloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what is the childcare like??

Hi,
Was just wondering what childcare was like,hopefully better than here.I am a midwife so will be working in a hospital,the hospital I work at at the minute has a nursery that opens at 8.00 and closes at 6.00,not very useful when I either work 7.00-3.00 or 1.00 -9.00!!
we really struggle with childcare at the moment, will it be the same in Australia or are children better catered for? It really worries me as my mother in law does help on the odd occasion but over in Australia we're going to have noone to turn to.
Just wanted to know what everyone else does.
Hope someone can help.
Lynne
Old Mar 28th 2004, 12:24 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what is the childcare like??

Originally posted by lynnyloo
Hi,
Was just wondering what childcare was like,hopefully better than here.I am a midwife so will be working in a hospital,the hospital I work at at the minute has a nursery that opens at 8.00 and closes at 6.00,not very useful when I either work 7.00-3.00 or 1.00 -9.00!!
we really struggle with childcare at the moment, will it be the same in Australia or are children better catered for? It really worries me as my mother in law does help on the odd occasion but over in Australia we're going to have noone to turn to.
Hope someone can help.
Lynne
Where are you moving to..cause I will only know about sydney....child care here costs...big time!

Very glad I have 'big ones' 11 and 13 yr olds

11 yr old has before and after school care - for a little cost provided, most schools do not

13 yr old comes home, not that I like that but it costs less!!!!

Child care in Aus is very very expensive, in my opinion only! Glad I have not little ones
Old Mar 28th 2004, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

canary is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Do you know exact costs-I thought it was expensive here -at the moment I am paying £1022 per month for two children attending 4 days a week -I hope it's not much more than that!?
Any info much appreciated
Old Mar 28th 2004, 10:26 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by canary
Hi,
Do you know exact costs-I thought it was expensive here -at the moment I am paying £1022 per month for two children attending 4 days a week -I hope it's not much more than that!?
Any info much appreciated
Check this recent thread on Childcare.

Cost will vary depending on your wages, as you may be eligible for childcare rebate which can be up to 80% or thereabouts.

edit:
This info from www.childcare.com.au
Parents who are eligible for the Federal Government’s Child Care Assistance subsidy will only be required to pay the daily gap fee applicable to their financial circumstances. Fees can be from less that $6.00 per day depending on Child Care Assistance.

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Mar 28th 2004 at 10:32 pm.

Old Mar 29th 2004, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

thewoods is an unknown quantity at this point

i pay childcare - most centres are only open 6-6 my son who has never been in childcare before goes fulltime and the total costs are $180 per week but i get a rebate and only pay$62 per week which i think is really good!!
Old Mar 29th 2004, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

We pay about $300 per week for an extended hours pre-school for our 3.5 year old. Extended hours means 8am to 6pm. That is in Pymble in the Northern Suburbs.

Prices and standards vary enormously, and there are long waiting lists for places. We have had our boy’s name down on a waiting list for a council run facility for over 12 months. Not a peep, except for a 1 day per week place. Thankfully, we got him in somewhere else, but it was more a case of luck that good planning.

If you work, beware the centres that take the school holidays off unless you can take time off to cover them.

You really have to visit to get a feel for the staff, the kids, the facilities to make up your mind.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

bovis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what is the childcare like??

Originally posted by lynnyloo
Hi,
Hope someone can help.
Lynne
Hi,
I'm living in Sydney with both my chilgren in long daycare costs $115/day, be prepared to wait a long time to get a place especially 5 days a week, most daycares are fully booked out at this time of year and have long waiting lists, best time to get a place is at the start of the year, can be a bit of a headache, good luck.

AM