Reload this Page >

non payment of UK debt

non payment of UK debt

Old Feb 25th 2004, 9:08 am
IOU
Just Joined

IOU is an unknown quantity at this point
Default non payment of UK debt

if you have a debt in the uk and you are a permenant resident of australia with no intention of returning to uk and with no other equity in uk, what are the consequences of non-payment of the debt ? It is for 15000 pounds to direct line. This is a theoretical question and I ask as I have seperated whilst here in Aus and I am somewhat strapped for cash!
Old Feb 25th 2004, 9:35 am
Koolasuchas

Default Re: non payment of UK debt

Originally posted by IOU
if you have a debt in the uk and you are a permenant resident of australia with no intention of returning to uk and with no other equity in uk, what are the consequences of non-payment of the debt ? It is for 15000 pounds to direct line. This is a theoretical question and I ask as I have seperated whilst here in Aus and I am somewhat strapped for cash!
Smoke ‘em out of their holes, get ‘em runnin’, and bring ‘em to justice.

Old Feb 25th 2004, 9:38 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: non payment of UK debt

Originally posted by IOU

use the search thingy for 'debt' and you will come up with a few ideas......think general consensus of opinion is that they will eventually catch up with you......plus youre screwed if you have to go back, cos then they definately will catch up with you!!

sue
Old Feb 25th 2004, 9:51 am
Just Joined

stuartgibb is an unknown quantity at this point

Does this go for student loans as well ?? will i have to set up a direct debit from australia to pay it off each month ?? Can they make me do that if I'm no longer working in the UK and dont inttend to for 4 years ??
Old Feb 25th 2004, 10:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'm stuck in Catch 22 with my loan from the Abbey National - they have told me I can't pay it by internet banking(?) so have to pay over the phone with a UK debit card (which I don't have) or by using a UK cheque.........so I asked the Abbey National banking branch for a new cheque book.......and they won't give me one because I requested it over the net & cos they can't see it is of any use to me in Australia! They will give me one when I go into a branch and prove I'm me (have a long wait then won't they!)

2 bits of the same company for goodness sake - and I'm trying to pay them money, not run away from the debt! Makes you wonder how badly they want it paid.

Old Feb 25th 2004, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pollyana
I'm stuck in Catch 22 with my loan from the Abbey National - they have told me I can't pay it by internet banking(?) so have to pay over the phone with a UK debit card (which I don't have) or by using a UK cheque.........so I asked the Abbey National banking branch for a new cheque book.......and they won't give me one because I requested it over the net & cos they can't see it is of any use to me in Australia! They will give me one when I go into a branch and prove I'm me (have a long wait then won't they!)

2 bits of the same company for goodness sake - and I'm trying to pay them money, not run away from the debt! Makes you wonder how badly they want it paid.

At least you trying to pay your debts even if they don't want your cash.

Unlike the scumbags who think its OK to accumalate debt and then clear off. It makes me
Old Feb 25th 2004, 10:34 am
IOU
Just Joined

IOU is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't want to accumulate debts and clear off! I've never had a debt in my life and wish to pay it but I am unable to pay it a the rate set due to the unforseen circumstance of seperating from my wife
Old Feb 25th 2004, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by IOU
I don't want to accumulate debts and clear off! I've never had a debt in my life and wish to pay it but I am unable to pay it a the rate set due to the unforseen circumstance of seperating from my wife
My comments were aimed at those that do think its OK just to clear off and leave debts, when you asked " what are the consequences of non-payment of the debt" I took it to mean you were considering it as an option.

To answer your question, the consequences usually end up with you owing far more, companys sell debts and it builds everytime they do. The sum is such that its in someones interest to recover it. Also sods law says they catch up with you when you least expect it or need it.

All you have to do is contact them explain circumstances and set a rate you can afford to pay, often you can get the interest stopped. More often than not they are happy getting some money. The citizens advice bureau are usually pretty good at sorting this sort of thing, might be worth a visit just to find out the options.

Just realised you are in oz so bit of a trek to CAB I would write and tell them situation get interest stopped and agree a payment amount.

Last edited by karawara88; Feb 25th 2004 at 11:36 am.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Swaffy will become famous soon enoughSwaffy will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Pollyana

The flippin Abbey National now the 'abbey' - name changes really annoy me - are great at somethings but other things, they make life so complicated. Like changing from my maiden name into my married name. They were the only ones that said we need to see your marriage cert. HSBC didn't ask to see it. So abbey account still in maiden, can't be arse.....with um
Old Feb 25th 2004, 3:10 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Screw em, knock the money grabbing leeches, these debt lending firms deserve everything that happens to em!
Don't bother worrying about all these hollyier than tho attitudes,
KNOCK EM,
(wish i had thought of it now)
Old Feb 25th 2004, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by paulf
Don't bother worrying about all these hollyier than tho attitudes,
KNOCK EM,
(wish i had thought of it now)
But you know if you did it the buggers would be knocking on your door. I know if I did it the mob would be round armed with base ball bats. Debt collectors are more persistent than Jehovah's
Old Feb 25th 2004, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

flippinheck is an unknown quantity at this point

its along way from the uk to swing a baseball bat.
generally you will be declared bankrupt once the debt has mounted up and then you will have 6 years before they forget it and your debts will be cancelled, this means they will chase you for 6 years if you come back to the uk, after that you should be clear.

pay it off if you can you never know whats around the corner.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 6:09 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Would be interesting to clarify the legal situation. Personally I have no debt but I'm all for screwing over the loan companies if you can get away with it. Debt is sinking countless numbers in the western world. Fair enough, stupidity plays a part but there is an aggressive bastard attitude amongst loan companies. Just watch the commercial breaks on Sky or open the advertising section in a newspaper. Vast numbers of 'easy solutions to your problems' advertisements by loan companies.

Moneylenders are largely a bunch of low life bastards. Even Jesus and Mohammed thought so!!
Old Feb 25th 2004, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by stuartgibb
Does this go for student loans as well ?? will i have to set up a direct debit from australia to pay it off each month ?? Can they make me do that if I'm no longer working in the UK and dont inttend to for 4 years ??
Just what I am thinking! I'm considering ringing the SLC and finding out what they say. Hopefully I'll be able to pay in installments once I'm earning over a certain amount in Aus. I'm really cheesed off with the SLC... but that's another story.

You're right about debt collectors etc. though Kentish man... I haven't got any debts except for student loan ones and am determined to never get a credit card or another loan.

If someone knows what is standard for the SLC please post it as I don't fancy ringing up their muppets in the call centre
Old Feb 25th 2004, 6:55 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Larissa
Just what I am thinking! I'm considering ringing the SLC and finding out what they say. Hopefully I'll be able to pay in installments once I'm earning over a certain amount in Aus. I'm really cheesed off with the SLC... but that's another story.

You're right about debt collectors etc. though Kentish man... I haven't got any debts except for student loan ones and am determined to never get a credit card or another loan.

If someone knows what is standard for the SLC please post it as I don't fancy ringing up their muppets in the call centre
I'm curious about your SLC problems Larissa. I've heard of a few people in the same situation and you'd think they'd have a standard policy for people emigrating but they don't appear to have a clue!

Regarding my previous post, ironically I've noticed a pop up ad for a loan company on this very thread! Money grabbing, misery inflicting lying no good low life.

Avoid debt! The best advice you will ever receive!

:lecture:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.