Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

moving over with pets

moving over with pets

Old Jan 4th 2004, 8:12 pm
spiggle meister

Location: Manchester-Surrey-Coventry-Hampshire-West Yorkshire, now Woodland Hills,CA!
crazi_daizi is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking moving over with pets

Hiya, my husband and I are due to emigrate to the USA in the next few months and have three chihuahuas whom we wish to take with us! So far I have only found one company who deals with putting pets on flights, they will take our dogs early if needs be and book them on a flight. I would like to be able to compare prices though and would also like to hear if anyone has any experience in this scenario? Thanks!
Old Jan 4th 2004, 8:51 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving over with pets

Just out of interest why aren't you taking them with you? It is really easy, when you book your seat ring the airline and book the dogs in the hold. Make sure you do all the paper work before go (rabies shot 30 days before you fly and vet check and letter less than 10 days before you fly). Turn up early to the airport and they will take the dogs away at check in and then you get them back at the other end. The air stewaresses kept us informed the whole way (when our cat was on the plane, that the hold was heated and lit etc etc)

Paying someone else is great if your either very lazy or too stupid to organise it yourself. Each dog will cost you very little if you do it yourself

Patrick

Originally posted by crazi_daizi
Hiya, my husband and I are due to emigrate to the USA in the next few months and have three chihuahuas whom we wish to take with us! So far I have only found one company who deals with putting pets on flights, they will take our dogs early if needs be and book them on a flight. I would like to be able to compare prices though and would also like to hear if anyone has any experience in this scenario? Thanks!
Old Jan 4th 2004, 8:55 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm flying my two cats with me, same as I did when I moved to Spain. I wouldn't trust a company to look after them as well as I will. I've also heard unfavourable things about the company that does it for you.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 8:56 pm
spiggle meister

Location: Manchester-Surrey-Coventry-Hampshire-West Yorkshire, now Woodland Hills,CA!

Originally posted by Patrick
Just out of interest why aren't you taking them with you? It is really easy, when you book your seat ring the airline and book the dogs in the hold. Make sure you do all the paper work before go (rabies shot 30 days before you fly and vet check and letter less than 10 days before you fly). Turn up early to the airport and they will take the dogs away at check in and then you get them back at the other end. The air stewaresses kept us informed the whole way (when our cat was on the plane, that the hold was heated and lit etc etc)

Paying someone else is great if your either very lazy or too stupid to organise it yourself. Each dog will cost you very little if you do it yourself

Patrick
Easy tiger! I was only asking as the company by husaband will be working for are sorting our flights out their side, and at their expense whereas we have to sort the dogs out ourself. Thanks though, it seems easier than I expected then
Old Jan 4th 2004, 8:59 pm
spiggle meister

Originally posted by sibsie
I'm flying my two cats with me, same as I did when I moved to Spain. I wouldn't trust a company to look after them as well as I will. I've also heard unfavourable things about the company that does it for you.
Oooh really? Thanks for that, I'll book them in myself as soon as we have our dates, without wanting to sound daft I assume I just ring around a few airlines and find the best deal?
Old Jan 4th 2004, 9:11 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by crazi_daizi
Oooh really? Thanks for that, I'll book them in myself as soon as we have our dates, without wanting to sound daft I assume I just ring around a few airlines and find the best deal?
They actually go as excess baggage. You give the total weight which is the container as well as the dog, along with the dimensions.

Check the carrier takes pets. Not all do. Most airlines are great and don't allow a mixed cargo of cats and dogs. BA are fab for that. Make sure you book as early as possible so they have the room for them and make sure you confirm their booking. The airline doesn't usually confirm until a few days before so you may need to chase them up to make sure.

Check as well as the US requirements for vaccinations and entry requirements, your state's entrance requirements. (Thanks to whoever it was on here for giving me that tip)

BA were fab when I brought my cats here, well apart from the duty manager who offloaded me the day before! The only thing I didn't like was that the cats came down the baggage carousel but I'm sure that's a Spain only thing.

I was far more frazzled than the cats were and they seemed none the worse for wear at all but then they are old paws at moving.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 9:16 pm
spiggle meister

Ha! I had an amusing vision of my three sitting on the carousel mingled with suitcases and prams, didn't realise it actually happened! Let's hope it is just a Spanish thing! Thanks for the info!
Old Jan 4th 2004, 9:19 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=135377
Old Jan 4th 2004, 9:20 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

If they're rat-dogs (sorry, I love Chihuahas really), you may be able to take them on board and have them under your seat, though I think there's a limit as to how many. Also, if they're likely to get agitated (do they bark when they're nervous?) it might be easier on your nerves and the other passengers' nerves if they're in the hold. The "carry-on" is an option you may want to look into. I think I also remember one carrier saying they never carry more than 2 dogs on any flight (in the hold, that is)....?

I flew my dog (Lab) twice across the Atlantic and (a) she was just fine both times, in the hold, and (b) it was cheaper when I shipped her on the same plane as me (about $100 as excess baggage, I believe), than when she went separately (guessing here, but maybe $550?)

Good luck. Our pets are a lot more resilient than we give them credit for sometimes. There are earlier threads on shipping pets that you might find through a search. Perhaps the most common piece of advice I've seen is don't sedate your pets. For one thing, the effects of medication are different at altitude and sedation may affect thermoregulation and breathing.

Also, it was me who posted previously about checking the STATE regulations for importing live animals, as well as feds. I think the CDC now deals with these regulations. I followed all the regs and when I got here no-one cared a toss - but it was good to know I was legit in case I had come across a "Jobsworth"

Last edited by dunroving; Jan 4th 2004 at 9:22 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 9:22 pm
Pagan Sex God

Originally posted by dunroving
If they're rat-dogs (sorry, I love Chihuahas really), you may be able to take them on board and have them under your seat, though I think there's a limit as to how many.
Thats internal flights only, all trans-atlantic flights animals have to go in the hold

Patrick
Old Jan 4th 2004, 9:33 pm
spiggle meister

Originally posted by dunroving
If they're rat-dogs (sorry, I love Chihuahas really), you may be able to take them on board and have them under your seat, though I think there's a limit as to how many. Also, if they're likely to get agitated (do they bark when they're nervous?) it might be easier on your nerves and the other passengers' nerves if they're in the hold. The "carry-on" is an option you may want to look into. I think I also remember one carrier saying they never carry more than 2 dogs on any flight (in the hold, that is)....?

I flew my dog (Lab) twice across the Atlantic and (a) she was just fine both times, in the hold, and (b) it was cheaper when I shipped her on the same plane as me (about $100 as excess baggage, I believe), than when she went separately (guessing here, but maybe $550?)

Good luck. Our pets are a lot more resilient than we give them credit for sometimes. There are earlier threads on shipping pets that you might find through a search. Perhaps the most common piece of advice I've seen is don't sedate your pets. For one thing, the effects of medication are different at altitude and sedation may affect thermoregulation and breathing.

Also, it was me who posted previously about checking the STATE regulations for importing live animals, as well as feds. I think the CDC now deals with these regulations. I followed all the regs and when I got here no-one cared a toss - but it was good to know I was legit in case I had come across a "Jobsworth"
Cheers for the info, I think theyd be better off in the hold as it's a long flight - to LAX, they don't bark but they might leak! I certainly won't be getting them sedated - that combined with the cabin pressure changes can mess with blood pressure. I've been told by DEFRA that my dogs will only need a health certificate from the vet before we travel to confirm theyre fit to fly, no vaccinations as the UK is rabies free, quite suprised, I thought theyd need all manner of things
Old Jan 4th 2004, 9:36 pm
C.G.D.S

As the US isn't rabies free you might want to get that done anyway.

I need to find out my cat's microchipping details so I can update the company database.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 10:15 pm
thingluvthing2ringfingIdo

thing1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nice

My husband brought his cat over. Here is where you can find his story about it:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=156908
Old Jan 4th 2004, 10:22 pm
C.G.D.S

Thanks for posting the link Mr and Mrs Thing. I've flown mine before but it doesn't stop me worrying.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

Heather142 will become famous soon enoughHeather142 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by sibsie
Thanks for posting the link Mr and Mrs Thing. I've flown mine before but it doesn't stop me worrying.

I recently enquired (last week) with BA and their advice was to reserve the space as early as possible; so as soon as you know the flights, contact the airline. They will treat the dogs as cargo, and will require the size of the container (height; width & depth) to quote you a cost.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.