Dubai Housing

Old Dec 10th 2003, 10:04 pm
vg1
Just Joined

vg1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai Housing

I'm moving out to dubai in March and was wondering where the best places to live are?

My employer tells me of areas called Bur Dbai and Oud Metha. What are these areas like?

I was also looking for a 2bed but have been told that my allowance of 26000 AED will only get me a studio. Are these studios as poky as the ones in the London? What about if I move further afield into a 2bed for around the same price, will I be too far from work which is on Oud Metha RD, PO Box 27844? Do you recommend an area I could suggest to my employer? I will have a travel allowance of 500AED/ mnth (£103), so any place within this transport cost.

Thnks in advance.

Also how much does the average spend on grocery/ household shopping / mnth?
Old Dec 11th 2003, 8:32 am
Just Joined

stuartwalsh is an unknown quantity at this point

Dhs 26,000 will get you an unfurnished studio in Bur Dubai or Oud Metha. They are probably around 400-500 sq ft with a shower room and small kitchen. But to be honest you need to spend around Dhs40,000 to get a decent 1-bed place in Bur Dubai.

I spend around Dhs300 a week on groceries - same price as UK really although UK brands can be expensive.

Stuart Walsh
www.budgerecruitment.com
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Jezza is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there any accommodation towards the Jebel Ali end of Dubai or in Jebel Ali?

How far is Jebel Ali from Dubai centre? All the maps I can find on the web just show an arrow to Jebel Ali but no more detail.

Thanks for any help or enlightenment.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Devonian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jezza

How far is Jebel Ali from Dubai centre? All the maps I can find on the web just show an arrow to Jebel Ali but no more detail.

There is accommodation at Jebel Ali gardens AED for 1 bed apartment but hard to get. Its 45KM from town
Old Jan 10th 2004, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

whmseeker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jezza

HI.

jebel ali is on the outskirts of dubai towards going to abu dhabi. there are some blocks coming up closer to that place. check there.... or you can choose to stay in sheikh zayed road. its a long stretch leading to jebel ali.....
Old Jan 10th 2004, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

whmseeker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dubai Housing

Originally posted by vg1
I'm moving out to dubai in March and was wondering where the best places to live are?

My employer tells me of areas called Bur Dbai and Oud Metha. What are these areas like?

I was also looking for a 2bed but have been told that my allowance of 26000 AED will only get me a studio. Are these studios as poky as the ones in the London? What about if I move further afield into a 2bed for around the same price, will I be too far from work which is on Oud Metha RD, PO Box 27844? Do you recommend an area I could suggest to my employer? I will have a travel allowance of 500AED/ mnth (£103), so any place within this transport cost.

Thnks in advance.

Also how much does the average spend on grocery/ household shopping / mnth?
you can get two bedroom apts. for 24 to 30,000. you may try in bur dubai OR karama. dont worry about transportaion if you have a car. out metha should be closer to these two places.

if you plan to cook, it should not cost you more than 1000 aed per month.

all the best.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Jezza is an unknown quantity at this point

Can someone clear up for me, the issue of Jebel Ali.

Devonian stated that it is 45km from Dubai. Then whmseeker stated that Jebel Ali is on the outskirts of Dubai.

I am from the UK and 45km away is definately not 'just on the outskirts' of somewhere. That would be like saying Farnham is just on the outskirts of Bornemouth. Maybe to an Aussy, 45km is quite close.

Can anyone help?
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

istara is an unknown quantity at this point

1. Where are you working? If you are working in Media City, then seek an apartment in Jebel Ali Gardens ("Guantanamo"). Amazing value, brand new apartments, beautiful landscaping, and spacious. Proper 1 and 2 BR flats, rather than "hall" flats where the living room opens directly onto the corridor.

*If you will be working SOUTH of the creek do NOT live north of the creek, and DEFINITELY do not live in Sharjah*

2. I have no idea why people choose to pay exorbitant rates to live in the Mankhool/Golden Sands block of Bur Dubai, but many do. I have yet to see a truly lovely apartment there, and there is not a single tree in the whole area (except for an old scrubby thing at the back of the Ramada) it is a pure concrete jungle. In "Golden Sands" area (this refers to the "Golden Sands" hotel/apartment buildings, of which there are 10 or so, plus "Silver Sands" - NOTHING to do with lovely golden beaches, believe me) you will find studio flats for around 27,000 and 1BR flats for around 38,000 dirhams per annum.

3. For a cheaper option, try the old Pakistani Consulate area - I used to live in a brand new building there for 25,000 for a 1BR. This area is right next to Golden Sands area, but closer to the Creek (so actually nicer). There are even some Creek view buildings here. In the newspaper classifieds you will notice many adverts having the same mobile number. These are put in by property agents, and they usually have many more properties than they advertise. They will pick you up from your hotel and drive you round to show you a selection of apartments. I used Pearl Property Management who were very professional.

4. Flats will be far, far more spacious than any London equivalent (unless you are talking about a Mansion flat in Knightsbridge).

5. If that is your accommodation allowance you have three options: (1) get a car loan and buy a car, I have heard of people leasing-to-buy cars at only 600 dirhams per month. (2) go for a shared taxi/minibus service - these can be as little as 100dirhams a week, maybe a lot less. (3) If your work is only a 10-12 dirham taxi ride, you may find getting taxis most convenient.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 7:53 pm
vg1
Just Joined

Originally posted by istara
1. Where are you working? If you are working in Media City, then seek an apartment in Jebel Ali Gardens ("Guantanamo"). Amazing value, brand new apartments, beautiful landscaping, and spacious. Proper 1 and 2 BR flats, rather than "hall" flats where the living room opens directly onto the corridor.

*If you will be working SOUTH of the creek do NOT live north of the creek, and DEFINITELY do not live in Sharjah*

2. I have no idea why people choose to pay exorbitant rates to live in the Mankhool/Golden Sands block of Bur Dubai, but many do. I have yet to see a truly lovely apartment there, and there is not a single tree in the whole area (except for an old scrubby thing at the back of the Ramada) it is a pure concrete jungle. In "Golden Sands" area (this refers to the "Golden Sands" hotel/apartment buildings, of which there are 10 or so, plus "Silver Sands" - NOTHING to do with lovely golden beaches, believe me) you will find studio flats for around 27,000 and 1BR flats for around 38,000 dirhams per annum.

3. For a cheaper option, try the old Pakistani Consulate area - I used to live in a brand new building there for 25,000 for a 1BR. This area is right next to Golden Sands area, but closer to the Creek (so actually nicer). There are even some Creek view buildings here. In the newspaper classifieds you will notice many adverts having the same mobile number. These are put in by property agents, and they usually have many more properties than they advertise. They will pick you up from your hotel and drive you round to show you a selection of apartments. I used Pearl Property Management who were very professional.

4. Flats will be far, far more spacious than any London equivalent (unless you are talking about a Mansion flat in Knightsbridge).

5. If that is your accommodation allowance you have three options: (1) get a car loan and buy a car, I have heard of people leasing-to-buy cars at only 600 dirhams per month. (2) go for a shared taxi/minibus service - these can be as little as 100dirhams a week, maybe a lot less. (3) If your work is only a 10-12 dirham taxi ride, you may find getting taxis most convenient.
I also don't drive but i have been trying to get my licence just in time! However I have been warned against being a new driver in Dubai- how it is a dangerous place to drive if your inexperienced?
is this true? what other problems may i be faced with. Let me know asap so that i can atleast reconsider and save this money- so expensive!!!
Old Jan 27th 2004, 5:49 am
Just Joined

There are two major problems as regards driving in Dubai. This is going to sound racist, but it is just sad fact. Newspaper reports and even my Indian/Pakistani/Arab friends will back me up on this.

1. Speeding local Arabs/Emiratis
The UAE has the highest per capita road death toll in the world, and the vast majority of these deaths are young male UAE nationals. Mainly through speeding. You will get cars with black windows speeding right up behind you on the main roads, flashing their lights at you to move over, even if there is no space to move. They will literally tailgate six inches from your back bumper, for miles if need be, flashing and flashing. If they can, they will scrape past you on the hard shoulder. They will weave and duck between the other lanes. They are rarely - if ever - arrested for dangerous driving, and (unless there is a fatality) never jailed, never have their license confiscated, and never pay anything more than a pretty derisorarily low fine (250dh).

2. Slow subcontinental Asian drivers
Nothing wrong with driving slowly, but these drivers are always in the third lane of Sheikh Zayed road (eg the "second fastest" lane) even when the two right hand lanes are completely free. They drive at 80kmph - usually in a Nissan Sunny - in a 120kmph zone. They never pull over, leaving other drivers in the unenviable position of either having to undertake, or overtake in the "fast lane" - risking the above problem of a black-windowed sheikhmobile trying to ram them up the arse. Even in sections where there are SIX LANES either side of the road, they leave four lanes empty to the right while driving in the "second fastest" lane.

If either one of these two groups were removed from the road, the situation would be greatly improved. The massive danger to regular drivers is the combination of these two groups.

In Dubai - ALWAYS drive defensively. If you see a car waiting at a junction or in a drive way to pull out, more often than not it will pull out in front of you, forcing you to jam on your brakes. Always, always expect the worse.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Nevi is an unknown quantity at this point

Couldn't agree more with comments about having to drive defensively in Dubai. However, it is definitely worth getting your UK lisence before coming over here, otherwise it is relatively expensive and very time consuming to start from scratch in Dubai from what people have told me.
To be honest I find it easier than driving in London though, as the roads are more predictable and easier to navigate, therefore you are purely concentrating on driving, and not on trying to work out where you are going.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 6:48 pm
scuba chick

k3atie is on a distinguished road

hi ya, How about moving north of dubai to sharga sorry i know the speling not good. when i was over there seeing some friends . I was asking about accomadation as i think when i find a position it will probabbly be placed around dubai (my friends now live in abu dhabi) they said that north of dubai was cheaper and as long as you have a car sharga is about 15 mins away and is more cheaper as it being a dry state.

I suppose you are dead excited! what work are you to be doing over there??
Can i be cheeky and ask for some advice on how you found your position? I have been thumbing the internet for months now and soooo far no luck! I am looking for something in design / pre press with a dash of scuba diving thrown in!
Old Feb 4th 2004, 9:52 am
vg1
Just Joined

Originally posted by k3atie
hi ya, How about moving north of dubai to sharga sorry i know the speling not good. when i was over there seeing some friends . I was asking about accomadation as i think when i find a position it will probabbly be placed around dubai (my friends now live in abu dhabi) they said that north of dubai was cheaper and as long as you have a car sharga is about 15 mins away and is more cheaper as it being a dry state.

I suppose you are dead excited! what work are you to be doing over there??
Can i be cheeky and ask for some advice on how you found your position? I have been thumbing the internet for months now and soooo far no luck! I am looking for something in design / pre press with a dash of scuba diving thrown in!

I was headhunted by the company- had my CV on a french website ( can't remember which one, in fact can't even remember posting it there!). But all I can say is post your CV anywhere and everywhere- it has done me justice
Old Feb 4th 2004, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Unless you have an extremely low salary, do NOT live in Sharjah. The commute from Sharjah to Dubai is just a nightmare. It usually takes several hours - Al (Sh)itthad Street is gridlocked for most of the day.

For a cheaper option, try a villa share - you can get a three bed villa for as little as 75k - that's only 25k per person (plus you may also get a garden, pool, etc).