Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS and EAD Experience - Bloomington, Minnesota BCIS office (long post)

AOS and EAD Experience - Bloomington, Minnesota BCIS office (long post)

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

amylass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AOS and EAD Experience - Bloomington, Minnesota BCIS office (long post)

Okay ... well we did it - but it was NOT fun. Not that I expected it to be of course

We got to BCIS at 5.30 a.m., there were already about 100 people or more in line outside in the 30F weather. We were about to make ourselves the 101st and 102nd....

As our fingers started to feel numb the security officers started opening the doors to the building at 6.45 a.m. We thawed out at about 7.00 a.m.

The officers were very nice and did a great job of keeping order within the line of cold and desperate people. We were told that if we had an attorney to please stay in line, they would be pulling us out of line when they received their numbers. Now, I felt pretty bad knowing that I wasn't going to be standing in line with the rest of these people, but that soon would change.

Our attorney arrived 15 minutes late and was the last attorney to get in the "attorney line". This meant that she would be last to receive a number. Now, let me share a little something that I learned yesterday. If an attorney has to file immigration paperwork at the BCIS office in person, it doesn't necessarily mean they are filing only for those that accompanied them to the BCIS office. Oh no, they could be filing for many more cases of which the client need not be present.

Knowing this, when we realized that our attorney had ticket #606 (starting at #600) we knew we were going to be at the BCIS office for quite some time. However, we thought "some time" would be 3 hours tops. What fools we were

Time went by and so did the 3 hours. Then another 3 .... as attorney #605 finished up their case, ticket #606 was called ... YES! we thought ... finally at 2:30 p.m. we were called up. Only to find out that it was a different officer that decided to open up a new window to get the cases moving .. why didn't they do that 3 hours ago????? Ugh ....

Now, as our attorney was submitting Gavin's paperwork (paperwork included I-864, I-765 + fee, I-485 + fee, photos of Gavin, copy of I-130 receipt and copy of I-94) we started to notice that those poor people that I felt sorry for earlier that morning were coming through, getting the information they needed and walking right out the door. I didn't feel so bad anymore. I thought in fact ... good for them, they're gettin' out of here. But, when were we????

Well, they finally called Gavin's name to get his EAD picture and fingerprints taken, his AOS paperwork was filed and we left the building at 3:00 p.m. One year EAD card in hand

It was an interesting day to say the least, and I really am not complaining one bit, because I know that we have not suffered as much as others have on this board. Just thought I would share our little trip with the rest of you .. thanks for reading

And good luck to all of you wherever you are in the process - it really is worth it in the end.

(Now if only we could get that silly Social Security Card!)

Amy
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 7:50 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yay!!! Another success story!!! Many congrats!!!

Kate. xxxxxxx
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 7:54 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by katesuiter1
Yay!!! Another success story!!! Many congrats!!!

Kate. xxxxxxx

Congratulations. This is a great day for "good news" stories!!

Leslie
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 7:56 pm
Dazed and Confused

KatherineH is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats Amy!

My fiance and I went to the Bloomington office in July (before we were engaged) hoping they would be able to help us find the best way for him to move here. It was an interesting experience to say the least! We basically stood in line for three hours to be told "Fat chance. Bye!" Looking back now I realize they aren't there to be an info booth but we figured we'd get better help in person than over the phone.

I'm glad your process went better than that, it's good to hear a story from my hometown!!

-Katherine
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 7:58 am
Petey's Playmate

PEACHSTER is an unknown quantity at this point

WOW my hubby filed early August & we was out of there before 10am!!!! EAD in hand. In fact we was the first people called for this type of filing & showed up at the office little after 4am.

I am still at an awe how short of a wait it was for us.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Carl is an unknown quantity at this point

You were lucky to make the 200 person cutoff. We were just there on 9/30 and at 4:45am we were number 139! It would really suck to be number 201 and not get in!

We left with a new EAD and also submitted a new AP request. Our AOS has been pending since last November. We asked about it and they said it is with an officer, so maybe soon.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: AOS and EAD Experience - Bloomington, Minnesota BCIS office (long post)

Originally posted by amylass

(Now if only we could get that silly Social Security Card!)

Amy
It took us almost 3 months to get my wife's SSA card. They were the most unorganized people I have ever seen. They couldn't even find her file when we called to check the status.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 7:48 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Amy and Gav, I have all the pleasures of these things yet to come ........

Debbie
Old Oct 8th 2003, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

tenni is an unknown quantity at this point

Heeey... congratulations!! Sucks to hear that the process was not the most fun... but at least it's done and over with now!
Old Oct 9th 2003, 11:34 am
unDAUNTEd

KissingtheBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Carl
You were lucky to make the 200 person cutoff. We were just there on 9/30 and at 4:45am we were number 139! It would really suck to be number 201 and not get in!

We left with a new EAD and also submitted a new AP request. Our AOS has been pending since last November. We asked about it and they said it is with an officer, so maybe soon.

Hiya Carl,

We have to make a trip down ASAP...like you we filed in November last year and Dave's EAD is expiring soon. We just had a baby, so have to find someone to watch her as I don't fancy sitting with her down there all day.

Glad to hear that your case is with an officer. Keep me posted when you hear something, OK? GOOD LUCK!

Ang, Dave and KJ
Old Oct 13th 2003, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by KissingtheBrit
Hiya Carl,

We have to make a trip down ASAP...like you we filed in November last year and Dave's EAD is expiring soon. We just had a baby, so have to find someone to watch her as I don't fancy sitting with her down there all day.

Glad to hear that your case is with an officer. Keep me posted when you hear something, OK? GOOD LUCK!

Ang, Dave and KJ
Congratulations! We are expecting in March. That's probably when they will schedule the interview!

We got our AP in less than a week. Curiously, it's only valid until May of next year - maybe they are more optomistic than me...

It this point it would be easier to wait for our 2 year and skip the conditional period all together. Maybe that should be the new process - just think how much time they would save
Old Oct 13th 2003, 6:32 pm
unDAUNTEd

KissingtheBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Carl
Congratulations! We are expecting in March. That's probably when they will schedule the interview!

We got our AP in less than a week. Curiously, it's only valid until May of next year - maybe they are more optomistic than me...

It this point it would be easier to wait for our 2 year and skip the conditional period all together. Maybe that should be the new process - just think how much time they would save

Hey - congrats to you too. Didn't know you were expecting! I am heading down to BCIS tomorrow (yuck), so wish me luck. My husband accepted a new job and needs to get the EAD renewed before he starts.

Ang
Old Oct 13th 2003, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Default Fingerprinting in MN

Hey - congrats to you too. Didn't know you were expecting! I am heading down to BCIS tomorrow (yuck), so wish me luck. My husband accepted a new job and needs to get the EAD renewed before he starts.

Ang
If you tried to get fingerprinted on Saturday this is too late, but...

The fingerprint service center is open Tuesday thru Saturday, so if Monday is a holiday, they take off the preceeding Saturday. We discovered that the hard way - drove all the way up there on a Saturday only to find out they were closed. A real drag when you live out of town! Of course you won't find this information posted anywhere besides on the door. Thank you very much BCIS.

Net, net. Don't go on Saturday or if you do make sure the next Monday is not a federal holiday!
Old Oct 13th 2003, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Default Fingerprinting in MN

Ang
If you tried to get fingerprinted on Saturday this is too late, but...

The fingerprint service center is open Tuesday thru Saturday, so if Monday is a holiday, they take off the preceeding Saturday. We discovered that the hard way - drove all the way up there on a Saturday only to find out they were closed. A real drag when you live out of town! Of course you won't find this information posted anywhere besides on the door. Thank you very much BCIS.

Net, net. Don't go on Saturday or if you do make sure the next Monday is not a federal holiday!
Old Oct 13th 2003, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

That wasn't intended to be a reply - just general FYI to people filing in MN...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.