Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Detroit - Successful AOS Interview

Detroit - Successful AOS Interview

Old Sep 16th 2003, 5:10 pm
finally home with thing1

thing2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Detroit - Successful AOS Interview

AOS INTERVIEW EXPERIENCE (Very long post)

15 September 2003

Detroit Field Office

We left our home in Grand Rapids at the bright and early time of 3.45am.

We arrived at Detroit Field Office at 6.20am after driving through pouring rain. We were directed straight into the car park, which was pretty empty. A small queue was outside the door. We then had our breakfast – a bowl of cereal, in the car park, certainly the oddest place I’ve had breakfast.

We went in at 6.30am. We didn’t need to queue. We simply put our yellow AOS Interview Appointment letter in the Appointments tray on the front desk.

And then, we waited. Our interview was scheduled for 8.30am. We had come early, simply, to be sure of getting done asap.

We saw two other K-1 couples arrive. At 8am, they started the movie. Unfortunately (!), it wasn’t the sequel to the movie I saw (and Thing1 slept through) when we last came to Detroit, to file our AOS – Air Bud. It was however, another Disney flick – Inspector Gadget. The queue for the office had grown pretty long, and people were waiting outside, being let in as space allowed, and by 8am, the office was filling up.

At 8.15am, the first K-1 couple, a USC and Filipino, were called. At 8.30am, they left. I tried to gauge their reaction; they didn’t look too happy. Uh Oh. Had they not got their stamp? Following a post in this forum, we were worried that the FBI fingerprint checks were taking too long, and that we’d be approved, pending the fingerprint results, and would have to wait some more.

At 8.35am, the USCIS officer called my name. Our officer was Stephen R Lewis. Thing1 and I followed him through the offices and to his cubicle.

He asked us to remain standing, and to raise our right hands. He asked if we swear to tell the whole truth and something else. We both said ‘I Do’.

Our interview appointment letter stated that we must bring the following : UK Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, I-94 and passport, and that the USC spouse must attend with valid photo id (passport or driving license). There was NO mention of the I-693 Vaccination Supplement, common to most AOS interviews across the US.

Despite this, we had gone ahead and got the I-693 Vaccination Supplement from a USCIS approved civil surgeon. There are too many cases of people forgetting this and having their AOS approved pending receipt of this form.

Here is exactly what we took. As in our previous filing of things, we erred far on the side of caution and took everything bar the kitchen sink. Piece of mind is priceless. We used a 21 pocket folder with an original and photocopy of everything where necessary.

*AOS Appointment Letter
*Receipt from filing of AOS and fingerprint fee
*My Passport with I-94 and K-1 visa
*USC Passport
*My (UK) Birth Certificate
*USC Birth Certificate
*Marriage Certificate
*NSC 2nd NOA
*I-693 Vaccination Supplement
*Fingerprint Confirmation (Questionnaire from fingerprint appointment)
*Wedding Photos
*Notarized letters from friends confirming relationship and marriage
*Joint lease
*Joint bank statements
*Spare notarized I-864 (had been filed before) with federal tax returns and employment letter

In the trunk of the car, we also had our original I-129F petition, everything for the London K-1 interview, everything from the AOS filing, and all original materials that copies were made of for the I-129F (Cards, photos etc).

I also had an EAD (I-765) application with photocopies of I-94, and K-1, just in case we didn’t get the stamp. I also had a blank money order for $120 to pay for it there and then if it was required.

Officer Lewis asked me to sit first, then Thing1.

He had a form with my details on it, and then asked me to confirm the following :

My first name, surname, asked if I had a middle name, my address, my date of birth, my SSN (had to find card in my wallet for that), mother’s name, father’s name.

He then asked Thing1 a few things. He noted ‘So you’re a nanny’. And Thing1 replied with details on her job; he asked what the parents/her employers do, and she replied that they are doctors. He asked if she has any children. She replied ‘No’ and chatted with him about having children, stating that our dog is enough of a child.

He then wanted to see some id. We handed over her passport, and he commented (in a curious but nice way) that her middle name was unusual.

The next bit was surreal, even though I knew it was coming. He asked me all of the questions on page 3 of the I-485 form. It’s one thing filling this in on a form, chuckling as you tick ‘No’ (hopefully) to questions such as ‘Have you ever committed genocide?’, ‘Do you intend to participate in terrorist activity?’

It’s entirely another thing being asked these questions in all seriousness in person by a USCIS officer. He was deadpan and serious. I replied in a likewise manner, deliberately taking no notice of Thing1 next to me. If you read our wedding experience (http://www.sevensistersroad.com/thingwedding), you’d understand why.

Thing1 told me afterwards that it was all she could do to not bust up laughing when I was asked ‘Are you a spy?’ and ‘Are you a prostitute?’

Officer Lewis said that the FBI check was through fine and that I was approved. And that was it.

He explained the conditions (to be removed 90 days before the 2 year anniversary of today’s approval) and completed a letter which stated that we had been informed of this. We then had to both sign this letter.

He asked for my passport, and removed the I-94, which he said, is kept with my file. He stamped the passport with the I-551 stamp, explaining that this was a temporary stamp, valid for a maximum of 1 year, that allows permission to leave and enter the US as a permanent resident, and to work. He said that I should expect my 2 year green card to arrive within 4 to 6 months. The stamp wording is : ‘Processed for I-551 Temporary Evidence of Lawful Admission for Permanent Residence Valid until 9/14/04. Employment Authorized.’

He put a second stamp in my passport with a short version of the wording in the condition removal letter stating that we were ‘given written notice of the provisions of section 216 of the INA.’

Thing1 joked with him about the name changes of INS to BCIS to USCIS and he laughed when she said it’ll probably end up back as the INS. ‘It probably will’, he said.

He then took a form and placed a plastic card (with cutouts) over it. He took a fingerprint (using ink) of my right index finger, and I had to place my fingerprint on the form in the square cut-out. I did this for both sides of the form. I then signed the form through the tiny rectangle cut-out in the plastic, again, on both sides.

He went to photocopy the letter stating that he had informed us of the conditions removal, but found the photocopier had no toner. So he completed another letter for us.

That was it. We shook hands, he wished us well, and we thanked him. It was 8.50am – it had taken all of 15 minutes and was about as anti-climactic as it gets.

We bounced out of the field office, I-551 stamp in hand . It was off to Starbucks, before our quick drive back to Grand Rapids. We were home by 11.30am.

Couple of notes : We were dressed in casual, comfortable clothes; me in khakis and long-sleeved tee, and Thing1 in skirt and long-sleeved tee.

Other than our passports (and I-94) we didn’t need anything else whatsoever. No vaccination supplement, no certificates, no nothing.

Note : Although this was our experience, yours may be completely different. Just because we weren’t asked for anything else doesn’t mean you won’t be. We would always recommend taking more than the minimum of items you are asked to bring.

Our entire Timeline from I-129F to AOS Approval :

*11/12/02 Submitted I-129F to NSC
*11/13/02 UK Police Certificate Applied for
*11/15/02 1st NOA receipt date
*11/23/02 Received NOA1 in mail
*12/03/02 Opened Provisional File at London Consulate
*01/08/03 Received Police Certificate
*03/24/03 2nd NOA (129 days)
--- Note: we found out we were approved by calling the telephone case status check. The online status message didn't change to showing us as "approved" until March *28, 2003 ---
*04/03/03 NVC received file from NSC
*04/10/03 Called NVC - our file was sent to the London TODAY
*04/14/03 Received notice of receipt and action from NVC
*04/23/03 Received Packet #4 and interview date from London Consulate
*04/30/03 K-1 interview at London Consulate - K-1 VISA APPROVED
*05/25/03 Came home (Grand Rapids) to my thing1
*05/28/03 Applied for SSN
*06/18/03 Married Thing1
*06/23/03 Filed AOS in Detroit (did not file EAD or AP)
*06/27/03 Received SSN
*07/03/03 Fingerprinting Appointment in Grand Rapids
*09/15/03 AOS Interview in Detroit – AOS approved – I-551 stamp in passport

Thing2

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/uk_us_couples/
Old Sep 16th 2003, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Detroit - Successful AOS Interview

Congratulations you two Things!!!

It is a shame you didn't go to your interview with your matching red pajamas (with feet), your white spot on the belly and the blue hair!

Caroline
Old Sep 16th 2003, 7:11 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yay!!! Sounds like a pleasant experience for you both! Many congrats to you!
Kate. xxxxx
Old Sep 16th 2003, 7:36 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, quick question: you said you brought the EAD and $120, but they did NOT request it and you ARE allowed to work without it?
Old Sep 16th 2003, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

amylass is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats Things! Job well done

Cheers,
Amy
Old Sep 17th 2003, 3:08 am
Mvstolar

congratulations thing 1 and 2!!!!!!
arno and i will be having our AOS interview in Motown Nov. 10th.
marian

Old Sep 18th 2003, 10:08 pm
finally home with thing1

thing2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks folks.

It feels damn good to get this stage of the INSBCISUSCIS process out of the way. We don't have to think about it for the next two years (minus 90 days) other than to collect evidence of our marriage...

Originally posted by SteffiOk, quick question: you said you brought the EAD and $120, but they did NOT request it and you ARE allowed to work without it?
We took along the EAD and $120 as a security blanket in case our AOS wasn't fully approved - I would have tried to get the EAD there and then. There have been some people who have been approved pending receipt of their FBI fingerprint checks, and therefore didn't get the I-551 stamp. The I-551 stamp in the passport is a temporary measure until receipt of the 2 year greend card. The stamp (and GC) allow you to work and travel. If one has applied for an EAD and/or AP, they would have to hand it over at the AOS interview. I got the I-551 stamp, and we didn't therefore need the EAD as I got the magic stamp. I can now work (Yippee, I think (!) ) and safely leave and return to the US.

Originally posted by Caro It is a shame you didn't go to your interview with your matching red pajamas (with feet), your white spot on the belly and the blue hair!
Hehehe... We thought about it

Originally posted by Mvstolararno and i will be having our AOS interview in Motown Nov. 10th.
marian
Good luck for then Marian and Arno, I hope its a breeze for you both.
Old Sep 18th 2003, 10:19 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by thing2 We took along the EAD and $120 as a security blanket in case our AOS wasn't fully approved - I would have tried to get the EAD there and then. There have been some people who have been approved pending receipt of their FBI fingerprint checks, and therefore didn't get the I-551 stamp. The I-551 stamp in the passport is a temporary measure until receipt of the 2 year greend card. The stamp (and GC) allow you to work and travel. If one has applied for an EAD and/or AP, they would have to hand it over at the AOS interview. I got the I-551 stamp, and we didn't therefore need the EAD as I got the magic stamp. I can now work (Yippee, I think (!) ) and safely leave and return to the US.
Thanks for the info! Though I again think I have a problem because I don't think I got a I-551 stamp! I only got a stamp in which the officer wrote "K1" and that's the only stamp I got. Do I have to call and tell them that I need that stamp or do I need to skip that step and just apply for the EAD with my AOS?
OMG I wish this stuff wouldn't be so complicated!
Old Sep 19th 2003, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WOO HOO!

Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Thing! =)
Old Sep 19th 2003, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

blenky16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats to you two.

Had my interview in Detroit on April 7th... had to get fingerprints AFTER my interview... and have been waiting on "FBI Clearance" ever since... so I am VERY jealous!!!!! Not sure why there are people in the same boat as me waiting for FBI Clearance when others are having interviews after, and getting the stamp on the spot. Grrrr!!!!

Anyways, again, congrats and good luck to you in the future!!!! Enjoy your new life together here in the US.

Cheers.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 6:00 pm
Kristin

Steffi - You're confusing two things; the I-551 stamp and the temporary,
90-day stamp you get at the border when you enter on a K-1.

You got the 90 day stamp.

When you apply for AOS, have your interview, and are formally approved,
you get the I-551 stamp. It is proof of your permanent resident status.
It is the same as a green card (except it's only valid for one year, not
two like a conditional GC or 10 like a non-conditional GC).

Now that you're married, you need to apply for AOS and, if you want to
work, a new EAD (your "stamped" one is only good for 90 days from the
date you entered the US). Depending on where you live, it could be
months, or years, before you get that magic I-551 stamp. If you are
using Detroit, I believe it's taking 3-4 months from the date you apply
(in person) until you have the AOS interview.

Good luck! Kristin

Steffi wrote:
    > >>Thanks for the info! Though I again think I have a problem because I
    >>don't think I got a I-551 stamp! I only got a stamp in which the
    >>officer wrote "K1" and that's the only stamp I got. Do I have to call
    >>and tell them that I need that stamp or do I need to skip that step
    >>and just apply for the EAD with my AOS?
    >
    >
    >>OMG I wish this stuff wouldn't be so complicated!
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 20th 2003, 1:31 am
Rambo

Congratulations!!

Any Clues as to how long its taking for the Card to arrive?
BCIS/USCIS say few months...any recent experiences??

H

Old Sep 20th 2003, 2:50 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

[At 8.35am, the USCIS officer called my name. Our officer was Stephen R Lewis. Thing1 and I followed him through the offices and to his cubicle.

Oh!! that would have just cracked me up Stephen Lewis was the actor who played Blakey in "On The Buses"... I'm getting too old..

Last edited by ray6; Sep 20th 2003 at 10:10 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2003, 3:54 pm
Isabelle's Mommy

AndysGirl will become famous soon enough

Congrats! Its smooth sailing for awhile!
Old Sep 20th 2003, 5:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, Things! :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.