Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone else migrate on their own?

Anyone else migrate on their own?

Old Aug 11th 2003, 7:09 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice
Default Anyone else migrate on their own?

Hi guys.

Was just having a thought about how it seems that everyone posting here and has left the UK for Australia/NZ has done so with a family/partner, or to join family/partner already in Aus/NZ.

Am I the only person who left all family and friends back in the UK to come to live in a country that I have no family/friends in? Sometimes I wonder if I lost the plot!

Anyone else make the break on their lonesome?
Old Aug 11th 2003, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Someone called Dillon posted on here yesterday that he was planning to migrate on his own. Maybe you could contact him to give him some advice.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm also going on my own (to NZ) although I have an ex-wife and friends there...

Ben
Old Aug 18th 2003, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

weefi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone else migrate on their own?

Originally posted by brisnick
Hi guys.

Was just having a thought about how it seems that everyone posting here and has left the UK for Australia/NZ has done so with a family/partner, or to join family/partner already in Aus/NZ.

Am I the only person who left all family and friends back in the UK to come to live in a country that I have no family/friends in? Sometimes I wonder if I lost the plot!

Hi,
I'm leaving all my family and friends to make the move on my own to BrisVegas! Cheating a bit cos already spent 2 years there and got mates to go back to but nothing ventured..........!
Fi
Old Aug 19th 2003, 1:15 pm
Boy
Just Joined

Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I too am going to go on my own, I figure that i can always make friends or even come home if things don't go the way I want. But i'm thinking that when I get there i'll have to stick with it for at least a year before I can really appreciate what life will be like.

I hope you go on ok.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 1:19 pm
Beyond Redemption

Snitzy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going on my own although the wife is tagging alone !!

Si
Old Aug 19th 2003, 1:50 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default *holds his hand up*

Yup i'm another one off on my own, and i wouldn't have any other way. I'm leaving all my friends and famaily and making a new life for myself in auz. Am i scared? too damn right!! but it feels grrrrrreat!! (do they have frosties over there? lol)

Old Aug 19th 2003, 11:44 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

... just me and the dog.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

I am own me own here in good old Adelaide. It is quite tough with no one to share the worry and the effort everything takes. Giving it my best shot and I am deffo going to try hard but at times its one step forward and 10 back. Interested in the I can't get work posts as that really is proving a worrying thing. Having never had a single days unemployment in UK and at times more work than I could shake a stick at am finding the sort of lack of status that goes with being out of work hard to cope with at times. Still, only got myself to blame and it is early days.

Cheers and good luck to anyone on their own. My mates back home keep buoying me up and somehow think it is quite brave. Foolhardy more like.

Elaine (please don't anyone call me a whinger)
Old Aug 20th 2003, 6:01 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Hi guys.

I admire your ability to do this. How you getting on out there?
Old Aug 20th 2003, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

I admire you all for giving it a go on your own.
Good luck to you all.

Whisky
Old Aug 20th 2003, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

stotty is on a distinguished road

Goin' out to Adelaide on my own next year - probably spring.
Went out recently to check the place out and liked what I found. Talked to a few employers (electronics/engineering) and was told to come and see them when I was actually living there (fair enough really!).

Scared? Oh yes!! Excited? Oh yes!! Why am I doing it? 'Cos I can and 'cos it's there!! Sure, I get days when I think "What am I doing, going half way round the world - on my own - to a place I've never lived in?" The answer is usually "having an adventure and satisfying my curiosity".
Old Aug 20th 2003, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

gsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud of

I'm going out on my todd too, hoping to goto melbourne
in march 04 - i got abit of family there, so its not too bad.

What worries me though is getting a IT job, though I will
probably end up switching careers as I dont want to spend
my life infront of a monitor for much longer, theres only
so much carrots i can eat a day.

I am shitting my keggs, but life is boring if u dont challenge
urself.

if anyones going to melby around then get in touch.

all the best
gee
Old Aug 20th 2003, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

sydneybound is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

Off to Sydney on my own, althought I do have some friends there already so I'm kinda cheating a bit.

Get a bit worried sometimes, but what the hell, my friends and family haven't moved from my town in the last 15 yrs and are unlikely to so if it doesn't work out I'll just come back & pick up where I left off, nothing ventured !

Also work in IT, not too worried about getting a job though and I'm pretty multidisciplined and can turn my hand to many things.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by grubelice
I am own me own here in good old Adelaide. It is quite tough with no one to share the worry and the effort everything takes. Giving it my best shot and I am deffo going to try hard but at times its one step forward and 10 back. Interested in the I can't get work posts as that really is proving a worrying thing. Having never had a single days unemployment in UK and at times more work than I could shake a stick at am finding the sort of lack of status that goes with being out of work hard to cope with at times. Still, only got myself to blame and it is early days.

Cheers and good luck to anyone on their own. My mates back home keep buoying me up and somehow think it is quite brave. Foolhardy more like.

Elaine (please don't anyone call me a whinger)

You have taken a bold step and something will turn up - one door closes and another one always opens. The only people who call someone a whinger are arseholes.

It is very hard to be out of work but do not take it personally and let it affect your sense of self if you can. There is a lot of bull on this site (and everywhere these days) about life being what you make it and that is something people who have never had serious problems favour more than anyone. People seem to think that if you succeed in life it is all thanks to your great efforts and talent. However, it then follows that to not succeed means you are lacking? I know this to not be true in either case. Mostly, people are in the right place at the right time, or know someone, or just do not acknowledge their advantages in life. The only people you meet these days are people who grew up in miserable poverty and yet somehow managed to drag themselves up, yet when I was young I remember plenty of well off people with encouraging friends and family and many other advantages in life.

There is not a level playing field in Oz for poms and most jobs are filled before they are advertised. Forget the pom approach to getting work and forget about skills and forms and such like. Ozzies go more on personality and your approach to them. I am sure even John Howard got his job by knocking on doors and asking if there was any idiot work going. You should forget about trying to be "professional" - they do not know what that is here - and just go and talk to people. The more confident you are, and the more chatty you are, the more they will like you, and that is how you get a job in Oz, no matter how high falutin it is - just be likeable. You need to be able to do the job you are after, yes, but most people can manage most jobs really because they are all dull and repetitive tasks in the end, but it is much more important that you are bold and open. Literally, the next time you see a job come up that you want - choose your favourite one - just get on the phone to them and say "Can I come and see you to talk about it and have a look around?" and if they say no, just keep on and be keen sounding and I bet they give in. Then the job is yours before the other people even turn up for the interview. You have been very bold to go to Oz on your own. What I am advising is easy in comparison, is it not? That is what I would say to you, for what it is worth.

All the best, Wilf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.