Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

taking pet to USA

taking pet to USA

Old Jun 9th 2003, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

jimcheal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default taking pet to USA

We are moving to Florida in a few months. My wife has decided you wants to take our dog....
Can anyone help. Who do we contact? has anyone done it? How much was it? Please give us a clue

Jim
Old Jun 9th 2003, 11:57 am
darrenb

Hi,

There have been many many threads discussing this very subject. I would suggest you do a search on "pet". Im sure you will find most of what you need.

Each airline has their own policies and procedures concerning the shipment of animals. Some will let you heck them in as excess baggage and others have a dedicated unit to shipping your pets. I used Continental and have just shipped my three cats from London to Cleveland.

There are health requirements and certificates needed etc. I wont go into detail as this has been talked about before. However, if you dont find what you need feel free to email / pm me.

D

Old Jun 9th 2003, 12:10 pm

Old Jun 9th 2003, 12:22 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

No matter how you transport your animal there are two things you have to do before they go.

Rabies shot has to be given within 90 days but over 30 days before you fly. I have heard of the 30 day rule relaxed but never go by what other people have got away with.

Health certificate less than 10 days before you fly, make sure you don't have it done exactly 10 days before you fly incase you get delayed by a day and then the HC is expired. This is done by your vet.

No-one will ship the animal without these two. I shipped a cat with AA and it was really easy and they looked after us, letting us know every step of the way where he was. It costs $110 and once you book your ticket you ring up the airline and book the cat on (I think it is called and PNR) - you are not guarenteed to get your animal on as it is a first come first served basis. There is also rules about the temperature at stop overs so try and get a direct flight as not to complicate matters.

Good Luck

Patrick

Last edited by Patrick; Jun 9th 2003 at 5:42 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2003, 12:49 pm
darrenb

Actually it is not always necessary to get the Rabies vaccination as this a state by state rule.

Our cats were shipped out last Monday. When checking with MAF in the UK and Ohio State Agriculture department we were informed that animals being shipped from the UK were one of the few exceptions to the rabies rule. For our own piece of mind we are getting them vaccinated in the US. But as I said its a state by state rule so its worth checking. Your local vets should be able to put you in touch with the UK side and they can give you contact info relating to the US conterparts.

D

Old Jun 9th 2003, 4:56 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by darrenb
Actually it is not always necessary to get the Rabies vaccination as this a state by state rule.

Our cats were shipped out last Monday. When checking with MAF in the UK and Ohio State Agriculture department we were informed that animals being shipped from the UK were one of the few exceptions to the rabies rule. For our own piece of mind we are getting them vaccinated in the US. But as I said its a state by state rule so its worth checking. Your local vets should be able to put you in touch with the UK side and they can give you contact info relating to the US conterparts.

D
There not going to ****ing Ohio they are going to Florida (it says so at the begining of the thread) and he is shipping a dog not a cat - they need rabies injections. Don't confuse people with "We don't so you don't " crap.

Straight from the horses mouth

All states require proof of rabies vaccination for dogs over 12 weeks old and some require proof of rabies vaccination for cats.

If your going to post try and make it something helpful and something that will not confuse the person. When did double checking your replies go out of fashion!

Patrick

Last edited by Patrick; Jun 9th 2003 at 5:29 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2003, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

jimcheal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Patrick
There not going to ****ing Ohio they are going to Florida (it says so at the begining of the thread) and she is shipping a dog not a cat - they need rabies injections. Don't confuse people with "We don't so you don't " crap.

Straight from the horses mouth

All states require proof of rabies vaccination for dogs over 12 weeks old and some require proof of rabies vaccination for cats.

If your going to post try and make it something helpful and something that will not confuse the person. When did double checking your replies go out of fashion!

Patrick
Thanks Patrick

jimcheal.(thread originator)
Old Jun 9th 2003, 5:26 pm
Pagan Sex God

For those with cats - it would be better to check with the carrier (airline) rather than State Law as most carriers won't take any animal without a rabies jab anyway. This is in case the plane has to land in another State (unscheduled) that requires a rabies jab. Obviously Continental don't but you will find AA, BA, Virgin and others will insist on Rabies injection before they fly your animal. Bare this in mind as the animal will have to wait 30 days after the rabies injection before it can fly, and you don't want to be turned away at the airport and have to wait 30 days do you!

Patrick
Old Jun 9th 2003, 5:40 pm
Pagan Sex God

Originally posted by jimcheal
Thanks Patrick

jimcheal.(thread originator)
Hey Jim,

you need an airline approved carrier for your dog, if you can get one from the US they are about $30 but they are about £50 in the UK. The rabies shot is about £30 (if I remember right but it may be different at your vet) and the Health certificate is a normal visit price (unless your vet rips you off!).

Make sure you take a couple of tins of food they like with you as our cat went through 3 brands of US cat food before we found something he would eat.

So to answer your question, if its $110 for the flight, £60 for the carrier and say £50 for the vets fees the whole thing will come in under £200. This doesn't include sedatives, this is personal preference but our vet recomended that we didn't use sedatives as not to disorientate the animal.

Patrick
Old Jun 9th 2003, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

brisray is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't forget a leash for it either, put it somewhere you can get at easily.

Apart from the certificates, shots and other stuff, this is my experience with two cats.

At Gatwick the staff were very good. I left the UK shortly after 11/9/01 and the crowds were huge. Seeing the pet carriers they booked the cats and me in straight away.

As well as water I put some ice cubes in the water containers as well, just to make sure they had plenty of water.

As soon as we were out of Chicago we stopped at a rest area, put a lead on them and let them wander around for a while. Some peoples pets seem to cope well with the flight, mine didn't and were terified. Letting them roam around a bit helped settle them down.

Now they run around chasing the American wildlife just like home.

11/9/01 - British date - 11th September, just to clear up any confusion, another weird difference, but that's another thread.

Ray