my big tv!!!!

Old Apr 10th 2003, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

beeuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default my big tv!!!!

on an other site i was looking at it said you could take your tv and buy an ozzie video recorder and tune in through that!!does anyone know if that would work??
Old Apr 10th 2003, 7:42 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Default Re: my big tv!!!!

Originally posted by beeuk
on an other site i was looking at it said you could take your tv and buy an ozzie video recorder and tune in through that!!does anyone know if that would work??

I have heard this from about 16 different places including expats who have done it on various threads.
Old Apr 10th 2003, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Scoops is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah. I read that you can get most TV's converted in Oz for a small fee.
Also read that if your TV is relatively new, you may be able to do it yourself in the TV set up.

Cheers,

Scoops
Old Apr 10th 2003, 7:50 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by Scoops
Yeah. I read that you can get most TV's converted in Oz for a small fee.
Also read that if your TV is relatively new, you may be able to do it yourself in the TV set up.

Cheers,

Scoops

Professionals (Grundig) advised that old tv's are easier to convert. A lot of new tv's particularly those sold through large outlets, are not made with both 'chips' in them and cannot be swopped from system I to system B Only VERY EXPENSIVE ones would automatally have both chips in.
Old Apr 10th 2003, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes you can. You tune your new ozzie video in as usual and then connect to your TV via a scart lead. This will work as long as you have a scart socket on your TV.

Thanks and regards

Terry
:lecture: :lecture: :lecture:
Old Apr 11th 2003, 9:03 am

bored_bean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by terryg
Yes you can. You tune your new ozzie video in as usual and then connect to your TV via a scart lead. This will work as long as you have a scart socket on your TV.

Thanks and regards

Terry
Try looking here http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Contrib/WorldTV/ and more specifically here http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Contrib/W...broadcast.html for details on the differences between the TV systems around the world. If your TV is multistandard (as is the norm if you bought it anywhere in Europe apart from the UK) then you should be alright. Australia uses the same system as Germany, Italy, Austria, etc :lecture: :lecture: :lecture:
Old Apr 11th 2003, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Our big telly in the lounge which is panasonic is compatible over in OZ but the others we have are not. I am not sure but our big one is a projection set. SO that will definately be making the trip.

footie chick
Old Apr 11th 2003, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Mandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really nice

I've got a combined TV/Video plus a combinedTV/dvd player will these work in Oz?
Technical illiterate
Mandy
Old Apr 11th 2003, 1:55 pm

Originally posted by Mandyisere
I've got a combined TV/Video plus a combinedTV/dvd player will these work in Oz?
Technical illiterate
Mandy
They'll play UK films of course. The video will play Aussie videos and the DVD player will play Aussie DVDs if it's region free (there are sites on the Internet that tell you if/how it's possible to modify your player). If the TV part is multistandard or at least works with PAL B/G (it should say in the instructions) then it will work. If not it may receive the *picture* on some channels but not the sound. It may be possible to get it modified, but you'ld best ask a TV shop. You may be able also to play with the TV menus to change country and if so I would guess that it is multistandard.
Old Apr 14th 2003, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Birdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond repute

Urm not necessarily.... We were told of the video trick. However turned out to be bollocks, so now have an English TV & Video, and Australian TV & Video!! Apparently you can tune either the picture or the sound in but not both. You can get them changed over, but from what we were told unless you have a super delux tele that you cant bare to part with after the shipping cost, and then the change to AU system its probably not worth it.. On the bright side though if you sell your TV in the UK and then convert to AU dollars your probably not going to do too badly with it.
Old Apr 14th 2003, 12:09 pm
too busy to work members

HELP HELP info badly needed.

This last post is one against about 20 saying the opposite Please can anyone who has successfully used the video trick in australia please advise Thanks:scared: :scared:
Old Apr 14th 2003, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

dog19363 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by yafm
HELP HELP info badly needed.

This last post is one against about 20 saying the opposite Please can anyone who has successfully used the video trick in australia please advise Thanks:scared: :scared:
The Aussie vid/uk tv will work
but I wouldn't worry about it cos the tv isn't great over here anyhow....unless you like Aussie rules

Dog
Old Apr 14th 2003, 3:02 pm
too busy to work members

Originally posted by dog19363
The Aussie vid/uk tv will work
but I wouldn't worry about it cos the tv isn't great over here anyhow....unless you like Aussie rules

Dog

Thanks for that. (not for sport - just for world news?)

Can you advise if the tv from UK will work without the need for an australian video if we go on satellite/cable?
Old Apr 14th 2003, 3:41 pm

Originally posted by yafm
Thanks for that. (not for sport - just for world news?)

Can you advise if the tv from UK will work without the need for an australian video if we go on satellite/cable?
OK. You've asked for it, I didn't want to get technical but here is a very simple breakdown of how it all hangs together. TV consists of 6 signals, red, green, blue, horizontal sync, vertical sync and sound. These are all sent on different wires on SCART/PERITEL. This should work with all TVs/videos. We can then put all the video signals (all 5) together and this becomes composite or baseband video. This composite signal is encoded using PAL/SECAM or NTSC. The audio signal is still separate. This is often carried on 2 wires with RCA plugs (like on a video camera), but can also be carried on SCART.Finally we can modulate it on a TV carrier and becomes an over the air signal. This is carried on co-ax with TV connectors (belling-lee). When it's at this point the audio is mixed with the video on a single wire. So to recap;

RGB should work wherever.
Composite will work PAL-PAL, SECAM- SECAM etc (UK & Aus are both PAL).
over-the-air will only work on compatible systems.

The video trick uses the video to decode over the air signals into either baseband or RGB signals, which is why you must use a SCART and not TV lead to connect the two. A sattelite/cable box (assuming it uses baseband or RGB) should work as well.

I hope that this makes sense but ask if you have any further questions! :lecture: :lecture: :lecture:
Old Apr 14th 2003, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

keaton is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been told that Australian tv's don't have scart on the back - is that the case?

I ask as I'm thinking of bringing my dvd player over and wonder if it's worth it or not.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.