Life in Sydney

Old Oct 28th 2002, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

jasmin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Life in Sydney

Just thought I would say a quick Hello as I have five minutes!
We arrived in Sydney on 9th October so been here just over 3 weeks now.
First impressions are good but then we have only been here a very short space of time. My Husband was fortunate in that he had a job to go to which he started on Monday.
We found temp accommodation for 4 -5 weeks before we left England and we are really happy with the flat. Its a 10 minute walk to the train station and then a 20 ride into the City to not too bad commute times.
We have found the epople to be generally friendly although Terry said the Pommie jokes started yesterday at work. They seem to be on the same lines as the English tease the Irish.
We bought a car within a week of being here. Paid slightly more than we anticipated but apart from mileage (which one ours wasn't too high) the cars are in great nick over here, see alot of really old cars looking amazing.
Shopping is generally cheaper - we came from Jersey so we may notice it more, for example a loaf of bread is $2 plus, and thats about on par for Jersey but expensive for Asda etc. But Rump steak is $10 a kilo which I would say is bloody cheap. So its swings and round abouts. And of course generally wages are lower here.
We have found an appartment to move into when the lease runs out here, its in Balmain a really nice interesting area, lots of nice shops cafe's and bars. So we are looking forward to moving. Again prices are quite steep. We will be pay $430 for a 2 bed apptment. I know people in Perth who are paying half that for a 4 bed home.
Our lease is for 6 months so we will see how we go.
I am starting to look for work that will be interesting!
We had a great night a couple of weeks ago with Sandra (from the forum)and Andy. They have been here longer than us so we picked their brains, there was plenty to talk about and the wine flowed nicely!
We have been to Canberra for the weekend, the locals always say "Why?" when you admit to it but we enjoyed it very much, also been to The Hunter Valley which was a great day out. Have found a great Half Price Booth that does shows, trips harbour cruises etc.
This weekend we hope to go to Jervis Bay.
Well thats it from me! Enjoying the beautiful weather hope eveeyone is keeping their chins up. Its worth the wait i'm sure!
Nicki.
Old Oct 28th 2002, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Life in Sydney

Thankyou, just enough to get me dreaming again. Good luck and keep us updated
Regards
Mash...

Originally posted by jasmin
Just thought I would say a quick Hello as I have five minutes!
We arrived in Sydney on 9th October so been here just over 3 weeks now.
Nicki.
Old Oct 28th 2002, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

SuzeM is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello again Nicki
Good to hear from you. We'll be arriving in Sydney 20th November so hope to catch up with you there. Glad things are going great, you'll be able to pass on all those tips to us!
Sua and Ian
Old Oct 29th 2002, 9:49 am

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

It is always nice to read stories from the otherside. Keep the updates coming.

Enjoy yourselves!

Regards, Cinderella
Old Oct 30th 2002, 2:30 am
Livingfree

Sounds superb. I will be flying to Sydney in a few days and am looking
forward to it. In fact I will be there a couple of days before Sue and
Ian arrive. Hope to bump into u guyz there.

I was getting anxious with my choice of going to sydney after reading
about it being expensive and crowded. But I think I will see for
myself and then decide.

Have a great time and wish u all the success.

Cheers
Rupali

Old Oct 30th 2002, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

colind is an unknown quantity at this point

Sydney is a beautiful city and you will thoroughly enjoy it here. Sure, it's not the cheapest place on Earth but we think it's worth it. Been here since mid-June. We've bought a house on the Northern Beaches near Avalon Beach (5 mins drive to the beach). We have a commute into work (I am in North Sydney which is 45 mins, Wendy has another 15 mins into the City) but we had very similar commutes in London for 7 years so were used to it and we're prepared to make that trade-off for what we get in lifestyle in our new location. Now we have a place, of course, we have the relatives and friends queueing up to visit...funny that, they weren't so keen when we lived in London

Col
Old Oct 31st 2002, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

kitkatz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Colin

Can I ask how much a house costs on the Northern Beaches (and what size)? Do you get much better value for money?

Thxs
Old Oct 31st 2002, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

kitkatz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jasmin

Glad to hear you're settling down. I've been here about a month longer than you and am renting in Chiswick the next bay along from where you are. I'm assuming in you're in Balmain Shores for that price. It's amazing for the extra 5 mins drive across the Iron Cove Bridge I'm paying $390 for a 2 bed unit with two garages, and a water view.

J
Old Oct 31st 2002, 1:32 pm
JSK
Just Joined

JSK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jasmin
Can you give some details of how did you manage to find a temprary flat before you left the UK.As i am about to relocate few weeks from now with a baby and my biggest worry is how to find a flat from abroad until i will rent something.
Thanks
Old Oct 31st 2002, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

colind is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kitkatz

Prices vary, but they are not cheap on the Northern Beaches. We were very fortunate with our timing buying and selling in London, convert that to Aussie dollars and you've got a good start. We still have a hefty mortgage, though! Everything's relative. You get much more for your money on an exchange rate basis than you would in London.

To get an idea of what you would be looking at, go to www.realestate.com.au and search on NSW then Sydney Northern Beaches or www.raywhite.com, same search criteria.

Colin
Old Nov 1st 2002, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

hongwee is an unknown quantity at this point

finally manage to get a confirmed ticket to Sydney just before christmas...it's amazing that all (that's what the travel agency told me) flights to Sydney are fully booked!

the movers will be coming over next tuesday to estimate the cost of shipping..hope it will not cost too much

Sydney..here i come!
Old Nov 4th 2002, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Hello,
I found a flat by actually asking on here if anyone knew of anything.
The girl who's flat we are renting is in Europe visiting her boyfriend so we have stayed in her flat while she has been away.
It has worked really well for us.
Put and appeal on here... you never know!
Nicki
Old Nov 4th 2002, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

If any of you guys who are here already or about to arrive fancy meeting up for a drink one night, give us a shout. Terry and I are always happy to check out the local spots! and have a good chat.
Nicki