Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Pulaski and others, I have a question about replacing a ceramic cooktop

Pulaski and others, I have a question about replacing a ceramic cooktop

Old Feb 5th 2014, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pulaski and others, I have a question about replacing a ceramic cooktop

Have you ever replaced a ceramic cooktop? I'm thinking of replacing my cooktop and separate oven that is below it. I looked on the internet on how to do it but didn't get to much helpful information on removing the old cooktop. I want to try to not destroy the old cooktop since it is still in good shape and my maid needs a ceramic cooktop.

From as little information on the internet, it appears the cooktop is bolted from underneath. Also there is a bead of silicon underneath the countertop around the edges.

Does the oven have to be removed to replace the cooktop and can the cooktop be removed without destroying it with the silicon holding it to the countertop.

The cooktop is on a granite countertop so I'll be replacing it with a cooktop that has the same requirement for the cutout since I don't want to cut granite.

Any advice will be helpful.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 3:37 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pulaski and others, I have a question about replacing a ceramic cooktop

I don't have a lot of experience of cooktops, but from what you said, and my experience of kitchen fittings, it is almost certain that you (someone) will have to remove the oven to reach the clamps that hold the cooktop in place. Once the clamps are removed the cooktop should just pop out, with the caulk doing little to hold it in place - it should certainly not present any risk to the granite.

The biggest challenge to your project will probably finding a cooktop that has the same opening, and your best bet would be to start with the same brand. But the problem may be that the opening isn't defined by size but is based on a template.

It sounds like your existing cooktop is electric, and if you are open to a suggestion, you might take a look at induction cooktops. They are efficient and as controllable as gas, turn an induction "eye" off and the heat stops immediately, they are also extremely fast/ powerful, boiling water even quicker than a British style electric kettle.

Aside from efficiency and controlability, there are other benefits that aren't quite as obvious, but every bit as useful. Firstly almost ALL the heat ends up in the pan and its contents, heat is not generated in the cooktop and passed upwards into the pan, electric eddy currents in the pan make the pan hot directly, and the only reason the glass surface of the cooktop gets hot at all is because a hot pan is resting on it. This has a fairly obvious safety advantage, but it also means that spilled food doesn't get burned onto the surface AND any spills can be IMMEDIATELY wiped up - just pick up the pan and wipe the surface with a damp cloth. You don't even need to turn the power off! Another plus is that because ALL the heat ends up in the pan and its contents, it does not make the kitchen as hot, which is especially noticeable during the summer, and you don't have to run your AC as much to cool things down again. Also a few seconds after a pan is removed the eye is automatically turned off, so it is impossible to accidentally leave an eye on.

The only drawback to induction cooktops is that they only heat iron and steel pans. The eye won't even detect the presence of a copper or aluminum pan and won't turn on at all.

Not surprisingly these induction stoves and cooktops aren't cheap, but prices are falling, and a stove that was priced at almost $2,500 two years ago is now selling for about $1,800.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 6th 2014 at 4:03 am.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 3:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pulaski and others, I have a question about replacing a ceramic cooktop

I just wanted to add my sympathies, Staff can be such a pain.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't have a lot of experience of cooktops, but from what you said, and my experience of kitchen fittings, it is almost certain that you (someone) will have to remove the oven to reach the clamps that hold the cooktop in place. Once the clamps are removed the cooktop should just pop out, with the caulk doing little to hold it in place - it should certainly not present any risk to the granite.

The biggest challenge to your project will probably finding a cooktop that has the same opening, and your best bet would be to start with the same brand. But the problem may be that the opening isn't defined by size but is based on a template.

It sounds like your existing cooktop is electric, and if you are open to a suggestion, you might take a look at induction cooktops. They are efficient and as controllable as gas, turn an induction "eye" off and the heat stops immediately, they are also extremely fast/ powerful, boiling water even quicker than a British style electric kettle.

Aside from efficiency and controlability, there are other benefits that aren't quite as obvious, but every bit as useful. Firstly almost ALL the heat ends up in the pan and its contents, heat is not generated in the cooktop and passed upwards into the pan, electric eddy currents in the pan make the pan hot directly, and the only reason the glass surface of the cooktop gets hot at all is because a hot pan is resting on it. This has a fairly obvious safety advantage, but it also means that spilled food doesn't get burned onto the surface AND any spills can be IMMEDIATELY wiped up - just pick up the pan and wipe the surface with a damp cloth. You don't even need to turn the power off! Another plus is that because ALL the heat ends up in the pan and its contents, it does not make the kitchen as hot, which is especially noticeable during the summer, and you don't have to run your AC as much to cool things down again. Also a few seconds after a pan is removed the eye is automatically turned off, so it is impossible to accidentally leave an eye on.

The only drawback to induction cooktops is that they only heat iron and steel pans. The eye won't even detect the presence of a copper or aluminum pan and won't turn on at all.

Not surprisingly these induction stoves and cooktops aren't cheap, but prices are falling, and a stove that was priced at almost $2,500 two years ago is now selling for about $1,800.
I've already chosen a GE profile cooktop and oven to replace the current GE Profiles. The cut out dimensions of the new ones are the same as the old ones.

Also the cooktop that I am considering is an induction type with touch controls and the oven has convection capabilities so both are upgrades over my current appliances. I'm not 100% sure I want to spend the extra money for an oven with convection capabilities.

When I looked in the installation manual, it appears there are two brackets underneath that holds the cooktop in place and there is no mention of using silicon. Do you think silicon is necessary when installing the new cooktop? The silicon makes it look messy since grease gets into the silicon.

Last edited by Michael; Feb 6th 2014 at 7:12 am.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 7:23 am
Fort Collins, Colorado

yukichon will become famous soon enoughyukichon will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Boiler
I just wanted to add my sympathies, Staff can be such a pain.
Hahaha that just really made me chuckle ...I reckon Michaels house is like the programme 'Upsatirs Downstairs'
Old Feb 6th 2014, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Saw an absolutely stunning induction hob in the Fine Homebuilding Kitchen special edition magazine - you can put a pan down anywhere on the surface, and the system works out where it is, and allows you to control it. Pick the pan up, the circuit goes off. Put it back on the same spot, the circuit brings it back to the original temperature....and only 5500 USD...
Old Feb 6th 2014, 10:14 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
.... you can put a pan down anywhere on the surface, and the system works out where it is, and allows you to control it. Pick the pan up, the circuit goes off. Put it back on the same spot, the circuit brings it back to the original temperature. .....
Mrs P has seen an induction hob with those capabilities too.

Originally Posted by Michael
..... I'm not 100% sure I want to spend the extra money for an oven with convection capabilities. .....
I suppose it depends how much you use the oven, but the convection oven will cook things a little quicker, but as I understand it, the greatest benefit is for baking cakes, cookies and pastries because the heat is distributed very evenly. As you are upgrading other appliances in your kitchen, I am also inclined to ask if you're going to spoil the ship for a ha'p'orth o' tar?

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 6th 2014 at 10:25 am.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 10:36 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I've already chosen a GE profile cooktop and oven to replace the current GE Profiles. The cut out dimensions of the new ones are the same as the old ones.

Also the cooktop that I am considering is an induction type with touch controls and the oven has convection capabilities so both are upgrades over my current appliances. I'm not 100% sure I want to spend the extra money for an oven with convection capabilities.

When I looked in the installation manual, it appears there are two brackets underneath that holds the cooktop in place and there is no mention of using silicon. Do you think silicon is necessary when installing the new cooktop? The silicon makes it look messy since grease gets into the silicon.
Yes you do! It's far superior. The heat distribution is much more even. It's most noticeable if you bake but also really helps with everything else.

The last time I replaced a top was 10 years ago now and I had to remove the oven. I'd check with the manufacturer on the silicon.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 10:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

When our first ceramic cooktop was installed only brackets were used...this was on Formica. Silicone was used for the second one...that was on granite. Perhaps the type of countertop makes a difference?
Old Feb 6th 2014, 10:47 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I assume that the 'convection' oven you are talking about is what we would describe as a 'fan' oven, all ovens are convection as that is how the heat spreads from the heating elements, with a fan inside the heating is faster, and you don't have the temperture differences between the top and bottom of the oven, so things cook either quicker or at a lower temperature. All mine over the last 15 years have been fan ovens, and I wouldn't entertain anythiing else. I would also go for an induction hob, the hob we have is a standard ceramic one, but we also have a single, stand alone, induction hob. Heating is very much quicker and controllable, and, if it accidentally gets switched on, then you can put your hand on it with no ill effects.

You would be sensible to use some sort of sealant as otherwise and liquids etc spilt on the counter surface could get drawn underneath.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs
.... You would be sensible to use some sort of sealant as otherwise and liquids etc spilt on the counter surface could get drawn underneath.
Exactly. Liquids will find their way in if the gap is not sealed. The bead of silicone can be under the lip of the cooktop/hob, with any that squeezes either being wiped away while still wet, or trimmed and scraped with a paint scraper or razor blade after it has dried.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. Liquids will find their way in if the gap is not sealed. The bead of silicone can be under the lip of the cooktop/hob, with any that squeezes either being wiped away while still wet, or trimmed and scraped with a paint scraper or razor blade after it has dried.
Tape round the hole with masking tape. Put the cooktop down. Use a Stanley knife and cut away the tape under the top. Remove top. Apply sealant. replace top. Peel off masking tape. Perfect finish.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 2:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does beg the question, why does Michael not get one of his people to do this?
Old Feb 6th 2014, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Boiler
Does beg the question, why does Michael not get one of his people to do this?
...keeping his hand in ?
Old Feb 6th 2014, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by steveq
Tape round the hole with masking tape. Put the cooktop down. Use a Stanley knife and cut away the tape under the top. Remove top. Apply sealant. replace top. Peel off masking tape. Perfect finish.
I'll have to remember that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.