Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Jubail KSA shortly

Moving to Jubail KSA shortly

Old Dec 10th 2013, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

Leedssp85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Jubail KSA shortly

Hi I've secured a lab job in Jubail, Saudi Arabia for an initial 2 year contract. I'm moving over in early January 2014. I am leaving my fiancee and 1 year old back in the UK. I am planning to be out here for ~ 5-10 years.

I just have a few questions:

What are the plugs/voltages in Jubail like?

What are the clothes expat males where when out and about? Is it more relaxed in the compounds? Also, what are requirements when at work? (I don't want to offend to locals).

I have read there is not much to do out there, but as long as I've got my computer game and a decent net connection I should be ok.

I'm getting married back in the UK in 2014 and then declaring non-resident status to the HMRC as I won't be back to the UK much that much, as I don't get too many annual leave days to be in the UK (only get 22 days in my package). I will be sending money back to the missus to cover rent and expenses but her income in the UK is hers to do as she pleases. Does this sound feasible to prevent paying UK tax on non-UK earnings from a non-UK company?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Regards,
Leedssp85
Old Dec 11th 2013, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Jubail KSA shortly

I feel sorry for you, having to leave your loved ones behind. Jubail is a shit hole, so I hope you get a multi exit/entry visa as part of your package.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Old City compound or New City

As you drive to Dammam the smell starts, head north and it turns real bad. It's a struggle for health as you feel tired a lot, don't want to do exercise. The cost of accommodation and items on the supermarket shelves is higher than Riyadh. Would you believe shopping is cheaper in Dubai than Jubail?

The roads in Jubail are appalling. Holes everywhere, roads sinking making the almost invisible sleeping policemen raise up to smash the cars of the unwary.

The public areas and beaches in the old city are vile places, full of rubbish and stench. The New City north off the industrial area is cleaner, but there are few facilities there. The malls there are lack lustre.

Internet for gaming? Hmm, check with the compound as to ping. I've yet to find anything to play with friends back in the EU. Using someones line in Dubai with 10ms I could merrily play with friends back home, but here on cabled to the bulding, a ping of 170+ means I'm booted off all servers. Mobily is supposed to have the most 3G towers here, so if you get a phone simcard I suggest you don't get STC or you'll find yourself without a data signal frequently.

Bahrain is close, although I've never been there. It may cause people to fall into bad habits. Particularly those leaving family behind in the UK. Even the locals here say that island state is "drink and girls".
Old Dec 11th 2013, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

Backinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Leedssp85
Hi I've secured a lab job in Jubail, Saudi Arabia for an initial 2 year contract. I'm moving over in early January 2014. I am leaving my fiancee and 1 year old back in the UK. I am planning to be out here for ~ 5-10 years.

I just have a few questions:

What are the plugs/voltages in Jubail like?

What are the clothes expat males where when out and about? Is it more relaxed in the compounds? Also, what are requirements when at work? (I don't want to offend to locals).

I have read there is not much to do out there, but as long as I've got my computer game and a decent net connection I should be ok.

I'm getting married back in the UK in 2014 and then declaring non-resident status to the HMRC as I won't be back to the UK much that much, as I don't get too many annual leave days to be in the UK (only get 22 days in my package). I will be sending money back to the missus to cover rent and expenses but her income in the UK is hers to do as she pleases. Does this sound feasible to prevent paying UK tax on non-UK earnings from a non-UK company?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Regards,
Leedssp85
That's going to be really really tough, as other posters have said Jubail is a sh1thole of note. However, there are options.

I work in Jubail but live in Bahrain, as do numerous other expats I know. It's a tough commute but worth it to have the family in Bahrain and the relative freedoms that Bahrain allows. To leave your missus behind in UK with a 1 year old will be unbelievably stressful for both of you. Especially with only 22 days leave a year.

I was looking at compounds in Jubail for some colleagues the other week some are absolute dogs, others are good but full and expensive a 1 bed apartment for the same money as I pay for a 4 bed villa with pool in Bahrain. A 3 bed villa more than double what I am paying.

The drive from Bahrain to Jubail is a slog but it is doable and I would suggest that, if possible, you seriously consider it. On average it's an hour and a half in the morning and around 2 hours in the evening.

Good luck
Old Dec 11th 2013, 9:20 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

If you're leaving UK in January to take up permanent work abroad with no intention of returning for some time, then declare non-residency then. Form P85, I think. The only fly in that ointment might be if you intend to spend a considerable time in UK when you get married, but if that spell is coming out of your 22 days annual leave, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck
Old Dec 11th 2013, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Firstly, thanks to people for replying. The internet is mainly for being able to skype home to the family. Totally understand it will be hard graft for a few years, but I needed this opportunity for my career.

The job is at the new Sadara plant they are building. I am coming out on a single visa, as I'm only engaged and didn't plan getting married at the time of the job offer. I'm doing 6 months training out of KSA anyway (US and Netherlands). I don't know if they will upgrade my visa to a married contract or a married bachelor contract after I get married or after the 2 years if they are happy with me as an employee. I don't think my fiancee would fancy it now, so may be the married bachelor may be an option (more trips home?). I'm getting married soon, so will have the leave for that, but I will only back in the UK for a week.

As for my computer game, it's just a footy manager game. Not really bothered about shoot em up games on the net, as I usually get thrashed at them anyways.

Originally Posted by Backinthesand
That's going to be really really tough, as other posters have said Jubail is a sh1thole of note. However, there are options.

I work in Jubail but live in Bahrain, as do numerous other expats I know. It's a tough commute but worth it to have the family in Bahrain and the relative freedoms that Bahrain allows. To leave your missus behind in UK with a 1 year old will be unbelievably stressful for both of you. Especially with only 22 days leave a year.

I was looking at compounds in Jubail for some colleagues the other week some are absolute dogs, others are good but full and expensive a 1 bed apartment for the same money as I pay for a 4 bed villa with pool in Bahrain. A 3 bed villa more than double what I am paying.

The drive from Bahrain to Jubail is a slog but it is doable and I would suggest that, if possible, you seriously consider it. On average it's an hour and a half in the morning and around 2 hours in the evening.

Good luck
Cheers, I do have a UK license that I need to bring over with me. What are the speed limits out there (if any)? I mean do you proper have to put your foot down to do it in that time? I suppose I could stay in the compound at work days and spend the odd weekend in Bahrain. I suppose another possibility could be to live in Khobar and then you are half way between the 2 points.

Does anyone know what people wear daytime/evening wear as I don't want to get shouted at if I have a T-shirt on for example. Do you have to wear all long sleeved t-shirts/shirts all the time?

Voltages and plug types in Jubail were my other Q's.

Thanks again,
Leedssp
Old Dec 11th 2013, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

If on Iqama, bring your UK license (get it renewed before coming, only a UK resident can get a new one) and it'll cost about 425sar at the driving centre to give you a Saudi car license. No need for a retest.

Power points vary. I'm not in a compound and am on UK voltage, but had to buy cheap adaptors. In the city I came from we had both voltages in the same apartment which was completely retarded.

Shorts below the knees, T's with arms (no vests) no indecent necklines.

There is Panda, Tamimi and Farm supermarkets here, no Carrefpur. You can get Marmite and Rose lime marmalade. Most western products are expensive.But then everything is getting expensive now. Think Tamimi wanted £12 for a fistful of asparagus when I wanted some the other day. ....
Old Dec 12th 2013, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Backinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant future

Speed limits seem to be optional as are traffic lights. Officially on the highway it's 120kmh but generally the traffic moves well above that 140-160 speed camera cars are dead easy to spot and avoid, plus everyone puts on their hazard lights and slows down anyway.
Some compounds voltages are 110 and American style plugs but most have 220 and English plugs as well, also adapters, voltage regulators and surge protectors easy to get and cheap.
Get an International Driving Permit from the AA or Post Office before you come out costs £5 last for a year and will enable you to drive on your UK licence.
Mobily Internet connection is fine for Skype, I use it all the time, may be worth signing up to a VeePeeN from UK, £5 per month through PayPal, if you want to get onto BBC Iplayer, other good sites / apps are available for watching live UK TV with no Veep.
Sadara is really starting to build up now, huge site, I understand they are building a compound on site but haven't heard anything about it being started.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Backinthesand
Speed limits seem to be optional as are traffic lights. Officially on the highway it's 120kmh but generally the traffic moves well above that 140-160 speed camera cars are dead easy to spot and avoid, plus everyone puts on their hazard lights and slows down anyway.
Some compounds voltages are 110 and American style plugs but most have 220 and English plugs as well, also adapters, voltage regulators and surge protectors easy to get and cheap.
Get an International Driving Permit from the AA or Post Office before you come out costs £5 last for a year and will enable you to drive on your UK licence.
Mobily Internet connection is fine for Skype, I use it all the time, may be worth signing up to a VeePeeN from UK, £5 per month through PayPal, if you want to get onto BBC Iplayer, other good sites / apps are available for watching live UK TV with no Veep.
Sadara is really starting to build up now, huge site, I understand they are building a compound on site but haven't heard anything about it being started.
Cheers, yeah I've been contemplating getting that before I come over, so if the missy keeps the sky at home I could use that to watch some shows later.

Other things I'm not sure about:
Water: Is it safe to drink from the tap? Or stick to bottled water? my mate was working over in Spain for a summer a few years ago, he got there, drank the tap water, had the squits and his body got accustomed to it.

OTC drugs/medicines e.g. paracetamol, Immodium and re-hydration treatments and sun cream? with the severity of drug laws over in KSA I don't know whether bringing the above would cause hassle or not?

About the IDP, I will see if I can pick one up by going to the post office before I go, as you say for £5 it is definitely worth it. The visa company and recruitment agent had already taken copies of my DL already for obtaining a license over there, so I am unsure if they have sorted it for that reason or not.

Thanks for your advice thus far.
Cheers,
Leedssp85
Old Dec 15th 2013, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Leedssp85
Cheers, yeah I've been contemplating getting that before I come over, so if the missy keeps the sky at home I could use that to watch some shows later.

Other things I'm not sure about:
Water: Is it safe to drink from the tap? Or stick to bottled water? my mate was working over in Spain for a summer a few years ago, he got there, drank the tap water, had the squits and his body got accustomed to it.

OTC drugs/medicines e.g. paracetamol, Immodium and re-hydration treatments and sun cream? with the severity of drug laws over in KSA I don't know whether bringing the above would cause hassle or not?

About the IDP, I will see if I can pick one up by going to the post office before I go, as you say for £5 it is definitely worth it. The visa company and recruitment agent had already taken copies of my DL already for obtaining a license over there, so I am unsure if they have sorted it for that reason or not.

Thanks for your advice thus far.
Cheers,
Leedssp85
Stick to bottled water it's as cheap as chips anyway. Tap water OK for teeth cleaning but not drinking.
More drugs available OTC than in the UK, no worries there, wouldn't bother to bring anything with you unless you have specific prescription needs and then get a letter from the Doc as well.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

I'd get the Saudi license and ditch the IDP. If you have an iqama, driving on a Saudi license is mandatory. IDPs are for non-residents and, if you have an incident which is highly likely here, you may find the police don't take kindly to being presented with something other than the standard Saudi license. If you're a Brit, getting a Saudi license is as easy as taking an eye test and having your license translated.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

magnification is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Backinthesand - how can I watch UK TV. I currently 'borrow'/chip-in to a neighbour's internet connection in Eastern KSA.
Old Dec 24th 2013, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by magnification
Hello Backinthesand - how can I watch UK TV. I currently 'borrow'/chip-in to a neighbour's internet connection in Eastern KSA.
Sent you a PM
Old Dec 28th 2013, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sicklyman
I'd get the Saudi license and ditch the IDP. If you have an iqama, driving on a Saudi license is mandatory. IDPs are for non-residents and, if you have an incident which is highly likely here, you may find the police don't take kindly to being presented with something other than the standard Saudi license. If you're a Brit, getting a Saudi license is as easy as taking an eye test and having your license translated.
Cheers, I took the advice and got the IDP as it was only £5.50. In my recruitment info they mention about getting a licence out there and I just had to pay for the cost of the translation. So hopefully I have covered both bases.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

steviehouse is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a brit, living in The Netherlands, but been in Jubail the last 3 months on a short term assignment within my company.
Lots of people saying it is a shit hole, it kinda is, but do you really expect it to be like the UK or europe out here? It's not really that bad.
My company put me in a crappy compound in Old town Jubail, but it does.
To be honest its just a bed in a room, I'm at work all week and usually go to Bahrain in the weekends.

Plugs and voltages are kinda hit and miss. I've found american sockets and 110 and british sockets and 230. bit of a mixed bunch really. but adapters are easy to find.

Clothing. as beakersful said, shorts below the knee and short sleeve tshirts are fine. I went through the checkpoints of the saudi-bahrain causeway with shorts and a tshirt one time, and at the customs check the two saudi officers even commented on my arm tattoo thinking it looked awesome.
at work I assume you will have overalls or flame retardant clothes. normally always long sleeve and safety shoes etc, but I'm sure the company would provide this stuff for you.

Indeed there isn't a great deal to do, but thats saudi for you. In the evenings during the week I would normally go out for dinner with my colleagues or be in my room reading or playing computer games or watching tv/surfing the net.
To fill the weekends I would normally go to Bahrain as I have made a nice group of friends over there and there is actually stuff to do like going to the cinema etc.

I'm actually starting negotiations with my company for a full time position in Saudi. Still considering whether to live in Bahrain or not. It might be too much of a good thing living there rather than just visiting in the weekends

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.