Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any British living in Fort Lauderdale?

Any British living in Fort Lauderdale?

Old Oct 31st 2013, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

SecondRow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any British living in Fort Lauderdale?

Hi all,

This is my first post and I'm sure I'll wind up a lot of you regulars by asking questions that you've heard hundreds of times before! I have had a read through the forum, I promise

A bit about me:
I've been living in Southampton, England all my life (I'm now 24) and for the last 3 years I have worked for a software company that is based in Fort Lauderdale. I visit the headquarters in FL once a year and every time I go I fall in love with the place and I'm starting to think that I'd like to experience what it would be like to actually live there.

Now I'm not really looking for visa advice (that would be jumping the gun a bit) but more experiences from other Brits who have lived or still live in Fort Lauderdale and any advice that goes with it. What's it like going from living in Britain your whole life to living in Florida?

I have a house in Southampton so I'd probably look to rent that out (the rent would cover the mortgage and give me a little extra a month) and then rent a place in Fort Lauderdale to begin with. My salary is approximately £45k - can I live alone, comfortably on this?

Sorry for being rather vague but I will really appreciate any kind of advice and input.

Thank you.

Last edited by SecondRow; Oct 31st 2013 at 1:48 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 1:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any British living in Fort Lauderdale?

See, I'd say that researching what it's like to live somewhere before knowing if you're eligible for a visa is 'jumping the gun', not the other way around!

Most people simply don't qualify for a US visa, so I'd suggest you make that the first thing to research. What do you do?
Old Oct 31st 2013, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Valid point, I appreciate the reply. My reasoning was that I can find out whether I'm eligible for a visa through the appropriate government channels - I can't ask them what it's actually like to live there though.

I'm currently a QA & Compliance Lead which I think would fall under skilled workers and professionals and from what I've read so far, because my employer is American they can petition the United States Citizenship and Immigration on my behalf. I know this is a bridge that will need crossing but for now I'm just genuinely interested to read about the experiences of others but any visa advice is appreciated also.

Last edited by SecondRow; Oct 31st 2013 at 1:47 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 1:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecondRow
..... but any VISA advice is appreciated also.
If I don't do this someone else will be along shortly to say it. "VISA" is the trademark of a well known credit card company. What you will need is a "visa".

Go take a look in the US section of the Wikis tab above, and check the two Pulaski wikis about getting a visa to live and work in the US. If you've worked for the company for at least one year of the last three, it is usually fairly easy to get a transfer on an L1 visa, IF your employer is inclined to go to the effort and expense of petitioning for a visa for you.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 31st 2013 at 1:52 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Roger!
Old Oct 31st 2013, 3:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Would your Employer entertain moving you?

Is there a Lady in the Florida office who thinks your accent is cute?
Old Oct 31st 2013, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

I believe they would. I mentioned it to the CFO a while ago and he seemed receptive but I'd obviously have to have a proper chat.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute

There is a huge difference from visiting once a year to living down here, that's for sure. Sure, you like the coast, the warm weather and the way everyone fawns over your accent, but all that soon loses it's lustre.

The fact of the matter is Florida is built on a giant swamp. It's hot, sticky, and wet during six/seven months of the year. Seriously, you haven't seen rain like a tropical downpour. Your electricity bills will sky rocket during the summer, as your AC will permanently be running.

In the Fort Lauderdale/Miami area you will be inundated with tourists which will make traffic a nightmare. Even with the AC in your car, there's nothing quite like the frustration of sitting in gridlock while you sweat out your body's entire water supply.

The cost of home and car insurance is high because of a) potential hurricanes/flood damage/sinkholes and b) awful/uninsured drivers. Walking anywhere is almost out of the question as shops or places of interest are almost always a good 20 minute car trip away. You will have giant spiders invading your house as well as the threat from snakes and the occasional gator (never bothered me personally, but I know of at least two Maltese terriers who got swallowed whole).

Saying all that, there is a very big British Ex-Pat community in Florida and the people make you feel extremely welcome. Some of the seafood is really excellent (if you know where to go) and there's plenty to do. The nightlife in the south of the state is well known for it's liveliness.

If 'er indoors wasn't a Floridian there's no way I would move here, but some people really take to it. My best advice would be to come for an extended visit if at all possible. The heat and humidity wears me down every year, not going to lie.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It must be a nightmare keeping your ruff crisp
Old Oct 31st 2013, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It must be a nightmare keeping your ruff crisp
You have no idea.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lord PercyPercy
There is a huge difference from visiting once a year to living down here, that's for sure. Sure, you like the coast, the warm weather and the way everyone fawns over your accent, but all that soon loses it's lustre.

The fact of the matter is Florida is built on a giant swamp. It's hot, sticky, and wet during six/seven months of the year. Seriously, you haven't seen rain like a tropical downpour. Your electricity bills will sky rocket during the summer, as your AC will permanently be running.

In the Fort Lauderdale/Miami area you will be inundated with tourists which will make traffic a nightmare. Even with the AC in your car, there's nothing quite like the frustration of sitting in gridlock while you sweat out your body's entire water supply.

The cost of home and car insurance is high because of a) potential hurricanes/flood damage/sinkholes and b) awful/uninsured drivers. Walking anywhere is almost out of the question as shops or places of interest are almost always a good 20 minute car trip away. You will have giant spiders invading your house as well as the threat from snakes and the occasional gator (never bothered me personally, but I know of at least two Maltese terriers who got swallowed whole).

Saying all that, there is a very big British Ex-Pat community in Florida and the people make you feel extremely welcome. Some of the seafood is really excellent (if you know where to go) and there's plenty to do. The nightlife in the south of the state is well known for it's liveliness.

If 'er indoors wasn't a Floridian there's no way I would move here, but some people really take to it. My best advice would be to come for an extended visit if at all possible. The heat and humidity wears me down every year, not going to lie.
I've only just seen this - I didn't get an email notification for some reason (or I missed it).

Thanks for the reply, this is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. I may speak to my manager about the feasibility of doing maybe three months out there and see how that goes to begin with. The main issue would be paying for my house in the UK and rent in the US for those months but I'll work something out. Thanks!
Old Nov 7th 2013, 9:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecondRow
I may speak to my manager about the feasibility of doing maybe three months out there and see how that goes to begin with.
Would your company really be prepared to go through all the paperwork/hassle and spend $5k+ on a visa for you just to work for 3 months or so? That would be very unusual.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Would your company really be prepared to go through all the paperwork/hassle and spend $5k+ on a visa for you just to work for 3 months or so? That would be very unusual.
I would imagine not. Can you not get a temporary visa or is it just as complicated to get? My UK line manager spends a lot of time over there throughout the year, just in smaller chunks. He's there for two weeks as of Tuesday but is actually off today so I'll ask him when he's back in.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 12:49 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like he goes over on the VWP, what does he do over there?

If he works (as in, does the normal work of the company - not training), and is on the VWP, he's breaking the law.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 12:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

And will not be the only one.

L and H's are temproary visa's theoretically, I know plenty of people who have had then for temporary visits. Mainly L's now I think of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.