Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Registering own LLC and applying E3

Registering own LLC and applying E3

Old Oct 27th 2013, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

e3geek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Registering own LLC and applying E3

Hi all,

I was looking at the E3 requirements and it seems to me that the only requirement is an LCA. I am looking to move over to US and do IT contracting for sometime. Apparently it seems to be possible if I register an LLC and apply an LCA for myself.

I have a bachelors and masters in IT which seems to be a good match for the job description. Has anyone done that and is it a viable option?

Thanks
Old Oct 29th 2013, 2:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering own LLC and applying E3

I'm not sure if what you are suggesting is possible. A consultation with an immigration attorney would be a good start, and IF it is possible you're going to need legal assistance to file the LCA before you can even commence with the visa application through your local US consulate. It's clearly going to take some time to jump through all the hoops, I'd guess a minimum of six months, and perhaps upto a year. If what you are proposing is possible at all. Note: until you have a visa you won't be able to get a SSN, and without that you won't be able to work, get credit, get a drivers licence etc.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 3:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Basically the same as a H1b, and you are well outside of DIY territory.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

I think if it was that easy or straight forward all the ex overseas IT contractors working within the financial sector here in NY would not have had to find permanent positions with consultancy companies to initially get to NY. They then apply for their GC's through the consultancy and once have it in hand tend to leave the consultancy and start contracting again!

I think I heard though, that this is now a lot more difficult than is was say 5 years ago.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

OP,

So you are still outside of US without E-3 yet, also asking about EB-2 on another thread?
Old Oct 30th 2013, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

e3geek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by E3only
OP,

So you are still outside of US without E-3 yet, also asking about EB-2 on another thread?
Researching my options... I have the E3 from my employer atm.