BC, Quebec, or stay in UK

BC, Quebec, or stay in UK

Old Sep 13th 2013, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

jimboger1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BC, Quebec, or stay in UK

Hi all
Please can I have your views as I am going through turmoil
We are probably going through everything that you have all gone through, but here goes

Married with 2 kids aged 7 and 11
I am almost 49, wife is 41
Our application for PR is in process, but as I have family in BC and plenty points etc. I think that our case will be accepted

Application been in for about 9 months, so some way to go, but now having some doubts

Live in central Scotland (bathgate area) in a lovely 5 bed house with mortgage paid off (value about £270k) and have a couple of buy to let properties that I manage - possibly too much info but just wanted to give all the info

Just in the process of being made redundant but as I am in sales, will be working again straight away
We have a good life here, not extravegant and by no means rich, but more or less have a pretty good lifestyle due to being mortgage free

Wanted to move to BC for many years to be near my brother, but now have doubts
Really tired of the weather here and yearn for at least a couple months of sun
Tired of chavs and people's general attitude
Tired of things looking shabby on the streets etc
Tired of crap customer service

BUT,

Keep hearing about how expensive Canada is and how difficult it can be to settle and get work etc.
Been looking at promptly in BC and it is sooooo bloody expensive $550k to get what i have in UK!!! - so would go from no mortgage to probably $100k
Been looking at cars in Canada and they are sooooo bloody expensive - both my wife and my cars are owned outright in UK
Been looking at car insurance and it is sooooo bloody expensive

We do have some savings to buy cars and have money for at least first few months without hassle, so really only a mortgage and bills etc to take care of

BUT

Are we doing the right thing taking our circumstances into account!!!

ALSO

To make things even more complicated, I may have an opportunity of a job in Quebec
Property in Quebec is very cheap at almost half the price of BC - but I hear about people not enjoying the French Canadians!!!!

SO WHAT DO I DO????

Stay in Uk?
Move to BC?
Move to Quebec?

Sorry for the plain questions, but I just don't know what to do?????

Thanks

Jim
Old Sep 13th 2013, 3:03 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC, Quebec, or stay in UK

Tough question, so many variables.

Breaking it down:

What's the pull to Canada?
BC and Quebec are VERY different - one will not replace the other and vice versa. Have you recce'd either?

How important, on a day to day basis, would you say being mortgage-free/owning cars outright is? How much does it add to your quality of life?

I don't think 100k mortgage is very big. In fact it's quite small.

When I read your post I get the impression it's more push factors (out of Scotland) rather than really wanting to come to Canada. This might be an issue cos inevitably, there will be things that drive you crazy about Canada too.
Old Sep 13th 2013, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...9#post10899379

have a look at this if Quebec is within your sights

i hope both your french is up to par

I have been hear 51 years and can remember a time when life was still pleasant

whatever you decide i wish you the best
Old Sep 13th 2013, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
Tough question, so many variables.

Breaking it down:

What's the pull to Canada?
BC and Quebec are VERY different - one will not replace the other and vice versa. Have you recce'd either?

How important, on a day to day basis, would you say being mortgage-free/owning cars outright is? How much does it add to your quality of life?

I don't think 100k mortgage is very big. In fact it's quite small.

When I read your post I get the impression it's more push factors (out of Scotland) rather than really wanting to come to Canada. This might be an issue cos inevitably, there will be things that drive you crazy about Canada too.

Thanks for the quick response
Yes I have been to both, BC 3 times and Quebec once
Both are different you are right
Quebec just seems so much more tranquil and great value for money, but BC would be easier as I know people there

But you are right, it is probably as much about getting away from Scotland, but could I be moving to somewhere that has as many problems?
That's what I am scared of

You are also right about being mortgage free, it's no biggie really - in fact sometimes it's better having a mortgage, otherwise the money just disappears

Just scared that if we went to BC, that it wouldn't be as good as Scotland, although I get very pissed off here

Thanks again

Jim
Old Sep 13th 2013, 3:35 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimboger1
Thanks for the quick response
Yes I have been to both, BC 3 times and Quebec once
Both are different you are right
Quebec just seems so much more tranquil and great value for money, but BC would be easier as I know people there

But you are right, it is probably as much about getting away from Scotland, but could I be moving to somewhere that has as many problems?
That's what I am scared of

You are also right about being mortgage free, it's no biggie really - in fact sometimes it's better having a mortgage, otherwise the money just disappears

Just scared that if we went to BC, that it wouldn't be as good as Scotland, although I get very pissed off here

Thanks again

Jim
Ok, so, I don't know you at all so take anything I say with a huge grain of salt.

Based merely on what you have said on this thread, it sounds to me more like Scotland is frustrating you rather than having a huge desire to live in Canada. I can guarantee there will be stuff that pisses you off here - not the same stuff as in Scotland, but other stuff. Whereabouts in BC are your family? Vancouver and Victoria are expensive, but other parts of BC are quite affordable. IMO, though, the expense should not put you off if you really want to live here. It's got to the the lifestyle that you want here, not that you want to escape the UK...does that makes sense?
Old Sep 13th 2013, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
Ok, so, I don't know you at all so take anything I say with a huge grain of salt.

Based merely on what you have said on this thread, it sounds to me more like Scotland is frustrating you rather than having a huge desire to live in Canada. I can guarantee there will be stuff that pisses you off here - not the same stuff as in Scotland, but other stuff. Whereabouts in BC are your family? Vancouver and Victoria are expensive, but other parts of BC are quite affordable. IMO, though, the expense should not put you off if you really want to live here. It's got to the the lifestyle that you want here, not that you want to escape the UK...does that makes sense?
Thanks again
Looking at Abbotsford where my brother lives
You definitely have got me right - yes I am frustrated with Scotland big time
But I also do realise that BC will have things that annoy me too
The weather in Scotland is just always pretty crap to be honest, and having a couple of months in the summer would be great for the kids to have a slightly more outdoor life
As a family I feel we could also make more use of the weather by seeing a bit of the country and even simple things like planning a bar-b-q which you cannot plan here
I am just worried that with the kids the age they are, will it be a bad move for them?
Will it unsettle them?
At my age am I putting too much pressure on myself etc etc
I just seem to go from YES to NO to YES!!!!
Old Sep 13th 2013, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by montreal mike
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...9#post10899379

have a look at this if Quebec is within your sights

i hope both your french is up to par

I have been hear 51 years and can remember a time when life was still pleasant

whatever you decide i wish you the best
Hi Mike
I have no French, but the company whom may be interested in me, I have known for a few years
The position that they may have they say that to start with French is not too important to start with
The company is based in Bromont
Jim
Old Sep 13th 2013, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mike
I have no French, but the company whom may be interested in me, I have known for a few years
The position that they may have they say that to start with French is not too important to start with
The company is based in Bromont
Jim
the only company that i have ever heard of in bromont is in the IT field and has a short three letter name

Bromont is near Montreal but is probably 95% french

As to the your kids, doesn't matter where you go, they will adapt

Proof: Myself, between the ages of 10 and 16, I was in boarding schools in Paris, Lausanne, and close to Calcutta, and i turned out fine!
Old Sep 13th 2013, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by montreal mike
the only company that i have ever heard of in bromont is in the IT field and has a short three letter name

Bromont is near Montreal but is probably 95% french

As to the your kids, doesn't matter where you go, they will adapt

Proof: Myself, between the ages of 10 and 16, I was in boarding schools in Paris, Lausanne, and close to Calcutta, and i turned out fine!
Hi mike
Thanks for the response
How do you feel me and my wife would settle in that area ?
Doesn't have to be in Bromont, could be somewhere near?
Would we be accepted ok having no French - obviously we would take lessons
Jim
Old Sep 13th 2013, 4:25 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again
Looking at Abbotsford where my brother lives
You definitely have got me right - yes I am frustrated with Scotland big time
But I also do realise that BC will have things that annoy me too
The weather in Scotland is just always pretty crap to be honest, and having a couple of months in the summer would be great for the kids to have a slightly more outdoor life
As a family I feel we could also make more use of the weather by seeing a bit of the country and even simple things like planning a bar-b-q which you cannot plan here
I am just worried that with the kids the age they are, will it be a bad move for them?
Will it unsettle them?
At my age am I putting too much pressure on myself etc etc
I just seem to go from YES to NO to YES!!!!
I understand your frustration with Scotland. Standing on Princes Street, Edinburgh on a warm, sunny day is just such a glorious feeling. One of the world's great views. However on the other 364 days of the year it's usually dreich, wet, cold and depressing. I came from Scotland many years ago and have returned umpteen times, but overall I find mostly everything in Scotland quite undesirable. I have the financial wherewithal to return and live there should I so desire, but that is never going to happen.
However given your lifestyle as described you need to give serious thought to moving here. It is a massive undertaking and for what? To be near your brother or to face/endure Quebec winters. If it's sun you need, then fly to the overcrowded by drunken Brits beaches of Europe. Train yourself to ignore the chavs, the shabbiness and concentrate on how good you have it and further strive to improve your lot.
Old Sep 13th 2013, 4:28 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all
Please can I have your views as I am going through turmoil...

SO WHAT DO I DO????

Stay in Uk?
Move to BC?
Move to Quebec?

Sorry for the plain questions, but I just don't know what to do?????

Thanks

Jim
A touch of the collywobbles is normal. I went through them myself.

People here can give you lots of practical advice. They can tell you their stories. However, no one here can tell you how you should feel or what you should do. That is up to you and a decision you and your family have to make. How willing are you to take a risk?

I have been to Scotland.
Old Sep 13th 2013, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi mike
Thanks for the response
How do you feel me and my wife would settle in that area ?
Doesn't have to be in Bromont, could be somewhere near?
Would we be accepted ok having no French - obviously we would take lessons
Jim
you probably will end up in Granby otherwise it is a long to commute from Montreal or Sherbrooke

yes, no problem settling in, if you both did your best to pick up the lingo

as to schooling, do not expect any English schools nearby ... but your kids will pick up the lingo a lot faster than mum and dad is my guess .. I spoke no french but picked it up as a child within 6 to 12 months

Last edited by montreal mike; Sep 13th 2013 at 4:47 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2013, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I understand your frustration with Scotland. Standing on Princes Street, Edinburgh on a warm, sunny day is just such a glorious feeling. One of the world's great views. However on the other 364 days of the year it's usually dreich, wet, cold and depressing. I came from Scotland many years ago and have returned umpteen times, but overall I find mostly everything in Scotland quite undesirable. I have the financial wherewithal to return and live there should I so desire, but that is never going to happen.
However given your lifestyle as described you need to give serious thought to moving here. It is a massive undertaking and for what? To be near your brother or to face/endure Quebec winters. If it's sun you need, then fly to the overcrowded by drunken Brits beaches of Europe. Train yourself to ignore the chavs, the shabbiness and concentrate on how good you have it and further strive to improve your lot.
Auld yin
Wise words and you sound as if you know where I'm coming from
I suppose it boils down to what will I gain?
Some sun for sure!
Some good times with my brother and nephews etc.
Close to the US border for some good vacations
People having a better outlook on life

Not sure about the following though -
Will my kids have a better life
Will I have a better life

What will I lose -
The familiarity of where I am
A fairly easy kind of lifestyle

HELL WHAT TO DO

BTW the holidays with lag louts just doesn't appeal

Please give me more info Auld Yin

Jim
Old Sep 13th 2013, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JonboyE
A touch of the collywobbles is normal. I went through them myself.

People here can give you lots of practical advice. They can tell you their stories. However, no one here can tell you how you should feel or what you should do. That is up to you and a decision you and your family have to make. How willing are you to take a risk?

I have been to Scotland.
Where did you move from and to where?
Old Sep 13th 2013, 5:03 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Where did you move from and to where?
I am a north-eastener by birth, but we were living in a commuter town about 25 miles outside London before we emigrated. We moved to Surrey, BC - part of Metro Vancouver.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.