Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Unlocked UK IPHONE 5, which US sim only contracts are available?

Unlocked UK IPHONE 5, which US sim only contracts are available?

Old Jun 12th 2013, 11:39 am
Just Joined

simonza1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Unlocked UK IPHONE 5, which US sim only contracts are available?

Hi All,
Moving to Florida next week.
I have an IPHONE 5 64gb which EE have unlocked for me.
I am having trouble finding a US network that provides a contract that is SIM only. And uses the Nano sim for IPHONE 5.
Please help!
A contract with unlimited data would be a preference.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 11:44 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unlocked UK IPHONE 5, which US sim only contracts are available?

Who've you tried? Based on their ads I would say that T-Mobile is your best shot, they run a GSM/LTE (SIM card) network, though I have no idea if it is a nano sim.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 11:48 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

T-Mobile is indeed your best bet for SIM only. They also definatly do nano SIMs as I've seen them - although even if not you can buy a cutter from Ebay to cut it down to size, it's not difficult.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 1:52 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with T-Mobile, but soon switching away as their 4G (3.5G is called 4G in the USA) coverage is poor once you go outside the major city area. Given where you're going, you should look to stay on the major GSM provider out here - AT&T.

Thus, you have two choices - AT&T GoPhone which is $65pcm for unlimited mins / txt / 1GB data.

OR

RedPocket, which is an AT&T MVNO. Same as AT&T but with 2GB data for $59.99. I use them, and they're very good.
http://goredpocket.com/sim/sonano.html - buy the SIM from Amazon for 99c.

Something you should note regarding 4G LTE is that your phone model is European LTE network specific. If you wish to use LTE over here you will need a brand new phone.

Personally, i'd sell your phone in the UK and buy one offline when you get here - either one offline from Apple (go to a sales tax free state) then use a prepaid carrier like RedPocket / AT&T GoPhone.

Another option is to take out a new contract with Verizon / AT&T and receive a subsidized phone with a $110 pcm bill. This is the only way you'll be able to use LTE here.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Jun 12th 2013 at 1:56 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 1:55 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Sell it.

But a new one when you get here. The LTE problems mentioned above, and the fact that all iPhones are only sold with a "country" warranty, not a "worldwide" warranty. Get rid of it there on ebay and just get a new one here.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 1:58 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Sell it.

But a new one when you get here. The LTE problems mentioned above, and the fact that all iPhones are only sold with a "country" warranty, not a "worldwide" warranty. Get rid of it there on ebay and just get a new one here.
The country / worldwide information is not correct. Apple honor their warranty in ANY country. I recently exchanged my UK purchased iPhone 4S in an Apple store here in Boston with no issues.

However, you _will_ have an issue exchanging your iPhone 5 European model as the US stores don't keep stock. They will exchange it for you still, they will just need to order one from their European supply.

So +1 to the point above, and my previous point, sell it - buy new here.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by simonza1
Hi All,
Moving to Florida next week.
I have an IPHONE 5 64gb which EE have unlocked for me.
I am having trouble finding a US network that provides a contract that is SIM only. And uses the Nano sim for IPHONE 5.
Please help!
A contract with unlimited data would be a preference.
Not too sure about the 5 but my unlocked 4 has worked here using AT&T pay-as-you-go without a hitch. I don't need data (which you can't get with that service) but there is sufficient wifi around not to have to be bothered by that.

Go into any AT&T store: they should be able to help you without a problem - I did read that they have nano-sims available.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 7:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by markwm
Not too sure about the 5 but my unlocked 4 has worked here using AT&T pay-as-you-go without a hitch. I don't need data (which you can't get with that service)
That's totally untrue. AT&T GoPhone now offers iPhone data, and has done for a fortnight at least now. They even offer LTE access on their prepaid.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 8:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Unlimited data
Old Jun 12th 2013, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
That's totally untrue. AT&T GoPhone now offers iPhone data, and has done for a fortnight at least now. They even offer LTE access on their prepaid.

Not on my go-phone package they don't. Just tried to add and it states that data is unsupported on pay-as-you-go packages.

What package, exactly, have you got? I couldn't find one that would support data though I still wouldn't use it: no need with so much wifi around.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article....id=wPTFfLV26sk link seems to imply you need a monthly contract to get data.

Last edited by markwm; Jun 12th 2013 at 9:03 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold

I used a T-Mobile sim and call quality-wise it was great for $70, but they only gave me edge data speeds (they've upgraded their network so this may no longer be the case) so I switched to T-Mobile which came to something ridiculous like $110. There just isn't a huge cost advantage in bringing your own phone.

So it would probably be easier to sell your phone and get a contract in the U.S. on something like Sprint/Virgin - Virgin sells the iphone 4 for ~$200 and an unlimited data plan for less than $50 per month, you make your money back in no time flat and get a new phone in the bargain.

On the other hand, if you don't need a lot of data, either T-Mobile or AT&T might be cheaper, the easiest way is to just go to their website and find out, they all have 'sim only' sections on the webstore.

Last edited by agentred; Jun 12th 2013 at 10:05 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 11:39 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
The country / worldwide information is not correct. Apple honor their warranty in ANY country. I recently exchanged my UK purchased iPhone 4S in an Apple store here in Boston with no issues.

However, you _will_ have an issue exchanging your iPhone 5 European model as the US stores don't keep stock. They will exchange it for you still, they will just need to order one from their European supply.

So +1 to the point above, and my previous point, sell it - buy new here.
That's great that you got service on it, and you are not alone in reporting events like this that have happened with an iPhone bought in one country and fixed in another, but as a general policy Apple does limit the terms of the iPhone warranty to the country of purchase.

From Apple's Warranty page:
http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/...e-english.html

IMPORTANT RESTRICTION FOR iPHONE AND iPAD SERVICE.
Apple may restrict warranty service for iPhone and iPad to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the device.

The word 'may' seems to be the operative one. From the Apple messageboards (where this question is asked basically daily) it seems some people have had luck at the random genius bar here or there, but others have been told "no international warranty" when purchasing or turned away when attempting to get service in another country. If you google "iphone 5 warranty international" you'll find dozens of threads on this subject where people have had similar stories of no warranty as that's "what's written on paper" vs. international service because of "what happened in reality when they went to the store".

I guess you must have just charmed them when you took it in for service.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 11:51 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Unlimited data
... that's the plan the NSA has with Verizon.
Can you track me now??
Old Jun 13th 2013, 2:51 am
Banned

Originally Posted by markwm
Not on my go-phone package they don't. Just tried to add and it states that data is unsupported on pay-as-you-go packages.
You simply need to call AT&T to have your iPhone data enabled. Good luck!
http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/23/a...lte-hspa-plus/
Old Jun 13th 2013, 2:53 am
Banned

That's very interesting, I wasn't aware of the 'may' clause. To ensure I could get warranty service here in the US I called Apple and recorded their representative informing me that my UK warranty was 'global' and would be valid in the USA.

As it turns out, the 'Genius' who I dealt with was very accommodating. The poor guy even had to go through the process to unlock my baseband (which he hadn't done before) as all US GSM iPhone 4S's are sold with a 'locked to US carriers' only baseband.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.