Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

RayAme's Immigrant Visa questions...(Moved to to the Marriage Based Visas forum)

RayAme's Immigrant Visa questions...(Moved to to the Marriage Based Visas forum)

Old May 25th 2013, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

RayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to behold
Default RayAme's Immigrant Visa questions...(Moved to to the Marriage Based Visas forum)

Firstly a great site with so much info, well done to everyone.
So my story so far. I am living in the UK, I met my now wife on line May 2001. After 11 yrs of travelling to and fro, June 2012 at immigration I am pulled to secondary interview. I told I will need a visa if I travel to the US again as I am being Flagged. I am told I spend too much time in the US.I said I have a girlfriend here that I have been seeing for 11 yrs and I have never overstayed my 90 days, I have never had a speeding ticket or even a parking fine. Ha says well looking st your passport record I am there too much. He then asked what my future intentions are as I have been in a relationship a long time. I said we intend to get married and I hope to move there eventually. He said well you either get married or get a B2 visa. He let me in this time but said I won't get in again.
We had already discussed getting married a few times, and we saw a lawyer regarding the rules a few years ago, so we called up the lawyer and she said well are you guys still thinking of getting married. if so go do it, because they can still refuse me entry, and it still limits my trips, so we got married. That was Sept 22 2012. Then the paper works starts.
My last 5 trips to the US were June 2010 89 days,Dec 2010 90 days,June 2011 88 days, Dec 2011 83 days, June 2012 90 days. I had no idea there was any limits if tripsand how close together or how far apart they should be. There is no info on the VWP for or on ESTA about this, it just says I am allowed 90 in any one trip. So at the grand age of 61, I got married.
Our House in the US is mortgage free. and the car is paid for, these are in my wifes name only. We have a boat purchased in both names, but registered in her name, I own a property in London UK with about £200,000. capital left after settling mortgage plus about £30,000 in savings to invest in something that will give me a return. and I will get a Gov Pension in Sept 2016 of approx £140 per week at todays value. My wife is still working,and has suppied affidavit of support. I will not be working in the US. Maybe working in UK 4 months per yr till 65.
We are in the process of submitting form DS 230.
I have spoke to the K D Dr's office in London reharding getting upto date with vaccinations as my records have disappeared over the years. I was told the as I am 61 I only need a Tetanus, is this right.thats good if it is. My health has been fine generally, But I have just undergone spine surgery for a herniated disc, ( a Laminectomy) spinal decompression. That was Feb 22 this year. I have full recovered from that.and am back to work.
I am a self employed London Cab Driver. Sole Trader. So I have no office just an accountant that I see once a yr for tax purposes.
No back in 1969,(age 18) I had to appear in court for a driving offence, (back then there was no fixed penalties). No Licence £3.00 fine. No insurance £3.00 fine and Taking and driving away (TDA) £5.00 fine and 6 months driving ban in total. Then 6 months later Driving whilst disqualified,£20 fine. No insurance.£8.00 fine Total £28.00 and a further 12 month driving ban. Since it was so long ago I had forgotten about the and the Magistrates court I attended have been demolished. Now apartment blocks. The only reason I know so much about these offences is that during sorting out old papers I have just come across my old driving licences that have the details stamped in them.
As a cab driver of 27 yrs I have to have a CRB check, Criminal Record Burea check every 3 yrs and nothing comes up. I also applied for a ACPO check back in June 2011 as we were thinking of getting married back then, but a new roof took the finances. The ACPO came back NO TRACE.
I guess I need a new ACPO now anyway because it also has my old passport number on it and I think it has to be more up to date.
I have never declared my old offences because I had forgotten about them. Do they come under driving offences? Wishful thing now I guess.
44 years ago. I passed my driving test at age 21, 1971 and so far have not had any tickets apart from the odd parking ticket in London.
Do I have a problem?
Thanks, Hope I haven't bored you. They say all cases are different.
Old May 25th 2013, 5:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From VWP to Marriage, waiting for LPR...(Moved to to the Marriage Based Visas for

Welcome to BE.

I have moved your thread over to our Marriage Based Visas forum. Bearing in mind the forums are usually a little slow at the weekends...hopefully someone will be along shortly to help you.
Old May 25th 2013, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

RayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: From VWP to Marriage, waiting for LPR...(Moved to to the Marriage Based Visas for

Thanks
I thought I put it in this forum. I will get the hang of it
Old May 25th 2013, 5:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RayAme
Thanks
I thought I put it in this forum. I will get the hang of it
No problem. BE is a very large website...but you'll get the hang of it. Why don't you visit us in the US and Trailer Park forums?
Old May 25th 2013, 5:43 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Jerseygirl, I think the title of the thread should be changed - from my reading of the OP his wife filed for the I-130 in the US, but he is in the UK.

The title suggests to me that he is attempting Adjustment while in the US.

what do you think?
Old May 25th 2013, 5:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by civilservant
Jerseygirl, I think the title of the thread should be changed - from my reading of the OP his wife filed for the I-130 in the US, but he is in the UK.

what do you think?
Thanks for pointing that out...I will change it.
Old May 25th 2013, 5:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

what do you think?
I agree, and I'll change the title. If he's submitting a DS-230, then he's not doing AOS from VWP (good thing!)

EDIT: I think JG changed it already, but I changed it again to read "Immigrant Visa" rather than "LPR"

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; May 25th 2013 at 5:59 pm.
Old May 25th 2013, 6:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RayAme's Immigrant Visa questions...(Moved to to the Marriage Based Visas forum)

Firstly a great site with so much info, well done to everyone.

Thanks, Hope I haven't bored you. They say all cases are different.
Hi Ray,

Welcome to BE.

It sounds like you married in the USA and have returned to the UK to obtain an Immigrant Visa. This is the perfect path for you, and it doesn't sound like you have any obstacles. The traffic tickets aren't anything to be concerned about, as long as you were not arrested for anything. Yes, you need an updated police certificate (if yours is more than 1 year old). You will need to take that to your medical exam, so get the police certificate first, then book your medical exam. Sounds like everything is on the right track...keep us posted.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; May 25th 2013 at 6:07 pm.
Old May 25th 2013, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: RayAme's Immigrant Visa questions...(Moved to to the Marriage Based Visas forum)

Yes we married in USA. I returned to UK then we started to file the forms through a lawyer and I had surgery while I was here, and I am still here waiting. We have been moved from USCIS to NVC Vermont. So we have no clue as to how long the wait will be.
Should I book a medical yet. I understand I have to have an X-Ray which is only valid for 6 mths. I don't want it to expire before I get an interview date.
Thanks for the comments so far. Ray

Last edited by RayAme; May 25th 2013 at 8:08 pm.
Old May 25th 2013, 8:08 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You cant book an medical until you have a case number from the National Visa Centre, which won't happen until you have received the approval notice from USCIS and it is passed on to NVC.

Last edited by civilservant; May 25th 2013 at 8:37 pm.
Old May 25th 2013, 8:29 pm

We have been moved from USCIS to NVC Vermont. So we have no clue as to how long the wait will be.
In total, from filing I-130 to interview date, the process takes about 8 to 10 months.

Should I book a medical yet.
If you have received the LND case number from NVC, then you can book your medical. Be aware that the Immigrant Visa will be valid for 6 months from the date of the medical, so make sure you're ready to move to the USA soon after your visa interview.

I understand I have to have an X-Ray which is only valid for 6 mths. I don't want it to expire before I get an interview date.
It won't expire. It won't take that long to get your visa interview appointment once the medical is done.

Rene
Old May 25th 2013, 8:31 pm

You cant book an interview until you have a case number from the National Visa Centre, which won't happen until you have received the approval notice from USCIS and it is passed on to NVC.
Not interview. Medical exam.

Ray, you book your own medical exam appointment, but the consulate sets your visa interview date, you don't do it yourself.

Rene
Old May 25th 2013, 8:38 pm
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Not interview. Medical exam.

Ray, you book your own medical exam appointment, but the consulate sets your visa interview date, you don't do it yourself.

Rene
What I said still stands, I just wrote the wrong word on the post

You cannot book a medical until you have your LND case number.
Old May 25th 2013, 8:42 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Then it doesn't still stand, does it - that wrong word changes everything, especially in this case since he won't be booking his interview in any case.

Regards, JEff

What I said still stands, I just wrote the wrong word on the post
Old May 26th 2013, 12:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I see nothing in your personal history or circumstances that makes your immigration to the US especially difficult, concerning, or problematic. ...

The members here are used to answering questions as a person's immigration story develops, so just post any questions or concerns you have as things progress. If things turn ugly we'll be the first to say "OK, now you need to consult an immigration attorney", but I don't foresee any significant complications in your case.

Mostly it's just a. bureaucratic marathon, and although people sometimes stress over the interview there is rarely any reason to do so, and assuming your story, above, is complete you should be just fine. People here on BE who met their spouse on line have obtained a fiancé(e) or marriage visa having reportedly only spent a very few weeks together face-to-face, and you have a lot more history together than that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.