First Update

Old Apr 18th 2013, 2:17 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold
Default First Update

Well here I am, posting my first update since I got back home last night.

Slept like the proverbial baby last night, the wind was howling outside but I slept right through it. Woke up at the ungodly hour of 5am, but tried to go back to sleep for another few hours. I haven't seen the lady who runs the B&B yet, but I've met her husband and he cooked me breakfast this morning which was a lovely way to start the day.....unlimited tea, full English breakfast and a full tummy at the end of it, all the while looking out the conservatory window watching the sheep.

Already encountered my first hiccup though which sucks. As most of you might remember I was told the B&B had a flat attached that I could rent. All I had to do was get here and take a look at it and see if it would do for me. So this morning when I was chatting to Mr B I mentioned the flat. He told me they'd rented it out LAST WEEK to a friend who's wife had kicked him out. I felt gutted! It would have been nice if they could have told me this last week because then I could have started making other arrangements.

I know I can't stay long term at the B&B because I'd pay double per week what I would have if they'd still had the flat. So now I have to go back to plan B and look at house shares !

This morning after breakfast I knew I had to get a few things so I decided to take a walk into Greenfield and pop into Tesco's. I thought it would be nice to walk along the canal, which would take me all the way through. But the wind was continuing to blow hard so I had that pushing in my face the entire way there. LOL It ended up taking me just over an hour to walk the 2 miles, but even with the wind I wasn't power walking. I was taking my time, taking in the views,the boats on the canal and all the ducks and geese.

Once I'd picked up what I needed I began the trek back, making a slight detour to the Post Office on the way because I'd forgotten to pick up a pay As You Go sim for my mobile. I left at 9.20am and it was 12.30pm by the time I walked back in the door.

So I'm just going to relax and have my sandwich and then get onto the task of finding somewhere to live.

I would have taken my camera this morning and snapped some pics along the way, but I thought I'd do it next time, when I have the time and don't need to go to the shops for anything.

It was really wonderful to walk along the canal, because everyone I passed stopped for a chat, talked about the bad snow and generally made me feel like I've lived here all my life.. Even the landlady at the pub came out when she saw me walked past and we had a chat. I can honestly say everyone has been lovely !

So there you have it...update number one !
Old Apr 19th 2013, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Update

Thanks for update. sorry about flat they could have let you know. However, I truly believe that things happen for a reason and perhaps a house share will be nice and you will meet more people that way and also be able to job hunt, sometimes jobs in small towns are by word of mouth! I am sure you will find a nice place, but take your time with your choice - looking forward to more updates!
Old Apr 19th 2013, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the update all sounds wonderful. Sorry to hear about the flat but that's life. I am sure its karma and something else will transpire. You have had an interesting week
Old Apr 19th 2013, 6:15 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome home Whofan

It sucks about the flat but sounds like you are enjoying being home anyway. Hope you find a nice place you can call home soon.

Keep on coming with the updates and the wonderful pics
Old Apr 19th 2013, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

I see this showed up finally Even though I already had most of the news, it is great to read it again Now all you need is to get somewhere to live sorted. Don't worry, love, something will come along. You've come this far. Hard part's over
Old Apr 19th 2013, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Great update, thanks for sharing your adventures. That's too bad about the flat, but I'm sure you'll find something even better.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 8:41 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Shame about the flat.
Make sure to mention in the pub and in the paper shop that you are looking for a house share or flat share or small place to live in. You'll find people making suggestions and letting others know.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 9:01 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

So happy to read your update but really sorry about the flat. I'm sure it will all work out though. My favourite part - "the shops". Can't remember the last time I heard someone saying they were going to the shops. Here people run errands or go grocery shopping. You can help me speak English again before I get back in a couple of months!

So happy for you
Old Apr 19th 2013, 10:31 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Great update love and yes, to echo others, shame about the flat - they could have told you! Still you never know, wifey might take him back soon and the little flat will be yours.

Sometimes though when you don't get what you want it just sets you off in a new direction which works out better for you. I'm sure with your fantastic positive attitude you will find somewhere else soon

Keep the updates coming we are all rooting for you and avidly following your adventures!
Old Apr 19th 2013, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Well here I am, posting my first update since I got back home last night.

Slept like the proverbial baby last night, the wind was howling outside but I slept right through it. Woke up at the ungodly hour of 5am, but tried to go back to sleep for another few hours. I haven't seen the lady who runs the B&B yet, but I've met her husband and he cooked me breakfast this morning which was a lovely way to start the day.....unlimited tea, full English breakfast and a full tummy at the end of it, all the while looking out the conservatory window watching the sheep.

Already encountered my first hiccup though which sucks. As most of you might remember I was told the B&B had a flat attached that I could rent. All I had to do was get here and take a look at it and see if it would do for me. So this morning when I was chatting to Mr B I mentioned the flat. He told me they'd rented it out LAST WEEK to a friend who's wife had kicked him out. I felt gutted! It would have been nice if they could have told me this last week because then I could have started making other arrangements.

I know I can't stay long term at the B&B because I'd pay double per week what I would have if they'd still had the flat. So now I have to go back to plan B and look at house shares !

This morning after breakfast I knew I had to get a few things so I decided to take a walk into Greenfield and pop into Tesco's. I thought it would be nice to walk along the canal, which would take me all the way through. But the wind was continuing to blow hard so I had that pushing in my face the entire way there. LOL It ended up taking me just over an hour to walk the 2 miles, but even with the wind I wasn't power walking. I was taking my time, taking in the views,the boats on the canal and all the ducks and geese.

Once I'd picked up what I needed I began the trek back, making a slight detour to the Post Office on the way because I'd forgotten to pick up a pay As You Go sim for my mobile. I left at 9.20am and it was 12.30pm by the time I walked back in the door.

So I'm just going to relax and have my sandwich and then get onto the task of finding somewhere to live.

I would have taken my camera this morning and snapped some pics along the way, but I thought I'd do it next time, when I have the time and don't need to go to the shops for anything.

It was really wonderful to walk along the canal, because everyone I passed stopped for a chat, talked about the bad snow and generally made me feel like I've lived here all my life.. Even the landlady at the pub came out when she saw me walked past and we had a chat. I can honestly say everyone has been lovely !

So there you have it...update number one !
Update number one finally showed up Can't wait to read the next one now!
Old Apr 20th 2013, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

WhoFan - where do you want to live exactly? I have a friend who has large house in Scotland and she is now alone. Her intent was always to use her house as a B&B and she does sporadically. She only charges 20 quid a night. The house was former doctor's surgery and has 4 bedrooms upstairs and bathroom. Downstairs formal dining room, living room, conservatory, then in back all kinds of rooms where doctor used to do his surgery. If you are interested at all let me know. Even though she is 81 she acts like she is 51 and is someone who is very dear to me.. Just a thought..
Old Apr 20th 2013, 6:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear your update (a full English sure sets you up for the day!). Sorry about the flat though, but they do say that as one door closes another opens wide for you! Onwards and upwards!
Old Apr 20th 2013, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for your update. I hope you get someplace permanent to live very soon. Yum, a full English Breakfast and walking to the shops, luverly It would be hard to take such a long walk in AZ Take care, and wishing you all the best.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 1:33 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fulwood
WhoFan - where do you want to live exactly? I have a friend who has large house in Scotland and she is now alone. Her intent was always to use her house as a B&B and she does sporadically. She only charges 20 quid a night. The house was former doctor's surgery and has 4 bedrooms upstairs and bathroom. Downstairs formal dining room, living room, conservatory, then in back all kinds of rooms where doctor used to do his surgery. If you are interested at all let me know. Even though she is 81 she acts like she is 51 and is someone who is very dear to me.. Just a thought..

Thanks love, I do appreciate you thinking of me, but Scotland is just a wee bit too far away..lol. I'd love to stay in Lancashire and hopefully close to where I am now at the B&B, but closer to the shops and trains etc etc. Will have to see what transpires and what I can get But thanks again, mention this to Windsong and if your friend would take pets then I'm sure she'd snatch your hand off.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 1:44 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Ready for update number two?? Sit yourself down, make a brew and I'll start

On my first night here I went to the Diggle Hotel for dinner as most of you know. I got to know the landlady really well and we'd chat while I ate. I went again last night and OMG the food, I had what was called Bury Chicken, which is 2 cooked chicken breasts and in between they have black pudding, cheese and bacon, and then more cheese is on top and it's all grilled. All served with a pile of chips.

After eating as much of it as I could (I'm ashamed to say I had to leave most of the chips because I was stuffed because of the chicken.. lol), the landlady (I'll call her Ms A) came over and we started chatting again. She asked me how I was liking the B&B and apparently she had stayed here too not too long ago, but had to move out because it was too expensive long term. I found myself telling her about the flat and how it didn't work out and then you could have knocked me over with a feather when she said ' I have a little one bedroom cottage up the road you can have if you want?' Apparently she bought the cottage after leaving the B&B and then when the pub offer came up she moved out of the cottage and now lives in the pub.

She even drove me up to take a look at it, which probably wasn't advisable because it's so darn cute! Lounge room, kitchen, bathroom and toilet downstairs and then you open a door and there is a set of stairs taking you upstairs to the bedroom. Its just up the road from the pub so still within walking distance of everything. The only drawback is the price. Apparently this is an expensive area to live (naturally..lol), so she wants £500 for the cottage and then on top of that there is all the usual bills and £125 per month Council Tax. So there's no way I could manage that. I'd be broke in 3 months ! Pity, because it's really nice !

But how nice of her to ask me! She said she wants someone there she can trust and to think she only met me 3 days ago.. We even talked about how I can't rent a place through an agent because they'd probably ask me for 6mths rent up front as I have no UK credit history and she said 'that's rubbish'.. lol She gave me the name of an agent and said to check them out and she'd even give me a reference/recommendation as she knows them!

Nice to know I have options now !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.