Residency

Old Mar 12th 2013, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Savycat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Residency

Can anyone help or know someone who can sort this out for me – cheaply!?

I want to apply for residency in Italy. However, I will not be a ‘full-time’ resident, maybe up to or just over half the year for the time being..... a month in UK, a month in Italy etc.

I require residency because I may stay over the statutory 180 – whatever days per year; I need to avoid having to pay the full 10% tax on my recently purchased property and because I may want to buy an old car to use while I am there.

I am retired (small private & state pension), divorced, no dependants, have a CF and Italian bank account. I will not be letting the property in Italy and do not let my jointly owned property in the UK.

I understand that I must provide the following information to the Comune......

Translated copies of my original birth, marriage & divorce certificates. (Where can I get this done incidentally?)
Pension statements, or proof of being able to support myself in Italy, i.e. over a certain sum in the bank account.....
Medical cover......... Now this is the problem; I have conflicting advice.......

My local Comune in Umbria, say I need the Form E121 from IPC/DWP. I know Form S1 has replaced this form, but the Comune obviously doesn’t. I also know from speaking to IPC/DWP in Newcastle, that this form is for people who wish to retire and live permanently in Europe. I also know that if you do use this form, you will lose your UK pension rights. They advised that my EHIC card would be sufficient proof of reciprocal healthcare insurance, although might not cover everything.

I have tried to explain this to the Comune, but they are adamant and insist that I must produce Form E121, despite my saying that I will not be a permanent resident. From what I understand, you need proof of local residency before the DWP will issue this form anyway!

I think my Comune have their knickers twisted a bit!

HELP!
Old Mar 12th 2013, 2:10 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency

Originally Posted by Savycat
Can anyone help or know someone who can sort this out for me – cheaply!?

I want to apply for residency in Italy. However, I will not be a ‘full-time’ resident, maybe up to or just over half the year for the time being..... a month in UK, a month in Italy etc.

I require residency because I may stay over the statutory 180 – whatever days per year; I need to avoid having to pay the full 10% tax on my recently purchased property and because I may want to buy an old car to use while I am there.

I am retired (small private & state pension), divorced, no dependants, have a CF and Italian bank account. I will not be letting the property in Italy and do not let my jointly owned property in the UK.

I understand that I must provide the following information to the Comune......

Translated copies of my original birth, marriage & divorce certificates. (Where can I get this done incidentally?)
Pension statements, or proof of being able to support myself in Italy, i.e. over a certain sum in the bank account.....
Medical cover......... Now this is the problem; I have conflicting advice.......

My local Comune in Umbria, say I need the Form E121 from IPC/DWP. I know Form S1 has replaced this form, but the Comune obviously doesn’t. I also know from speaking to IPC/DWP in Newcastle, that this form is for people who wish to retire and live permanently in Europe. I also know that if you do use this form, you will lose your UK pension rights. They advised that my EHIC card would be sufficient proof of reciprocal healthcare insurance, although might not cover everything.

I have tried to explain this to the Comune, but they are adamant and insist that I must produce Form E121, despite my saying that I will not be a permanent resident. From what I understand, you need proof of local residency before the DWP will issue this form anyway!

I think my Comune have their knickers twisted a bit!

HELP!
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Can you give us the name of your Italian town so that I can look at the comune website and see what it says on there?
Not all of them require translated documents.
You might be able to give them proof of private medical insurance instead of the S1 route.
They don't give a damn whether you are permanent or not. If you're asking for residency it's a full time thing .... not part time.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

05010 Parrano.... (Terni) Umbria
Old Mar 12th 2013, 3:58 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

05010 Parrano.... (Terni) Umbria
Ok - it looks like your comune website is still being worked on and has no info at all under uffici and anagrafe.

You can't have it both ways however............ you're not supposed to at least.
If you want Italian tax advantages you need residency here.
If you want to keep your NHS status in the UK you stay a resident there.
People do get residency without supplying an S1 but in that case you must prove that you have private medical insurance that covers you.
A UK EHIC card is NOT enough. That's only for tourists on holiday abroad, for temporary and emergency care.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Aaaaah!! Oh well, thanks for your time & effort Lorna. I have a year to sort it out anyway, but just want to start the ball rolling so to speak. Looks like I will have to go the 'private' route.... will investigate my options. Thanks again.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 4:25 pm

Aaaaah!! Oh well, thanks for your time & effort Lorna. I have a year to sort it out anyway, but just want to start the ball rolling so to speak. Looks like I will have to go the 'private' route.... will investigate my options. Thanks again.
You're welcome.
If you have any more questions just ask.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Being a resident is not just a question of a little white lie any more. Did you, when you bought your house, say that it would be your prima casa? If you didnt then its already too late to save a bit of tax. If you did then you need to think about the saving in Italy compared with the tax you will face on your 'foreign' i.e. UK property - which is annual and is levied on your house, your bank accounts and any other income/business you have abroad.
Its not a given that your EHIC will be accepted.
The savings you make on your purchase will not be great - probably the saving on your council tax will outweigh it, but just taking residence to save a few bob is a bad move - you will become an Italian statistic and all that goes with it, including filing tax returns in Italy etc etc. THink about it carefully.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 8:32 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
Being a resident is not just a question of a little white lie any more. Did you, when you bought your house, say that it would be your prima casa? If you didnt then its already too late to save a bit of tax. If you did then you need to think about the saving in Italy compared with the tax you will face on your 'foreign' i.e. UK property - which is annual and is levied on your house, your bank accounts and any other income/business you have abroad.
Its not a given that your EHIC will be accepted.
The savings you make on your purchase will not be great - probably the saving on your council tax will outweigh it, but just taking residence to save a few bob is a bad move - you will become an Italian statistic and all that goes with it, including filing tax returns in Italy etc etc. THink about it carefully.
2nd this.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice.... I will think carefully.

I did say it would be my first house... I plan to sell my JOINTLY owned house in the UK when the time is right! (I don't pay the council tax!!)

I am a pensioner! No other income or businesses apart from pensions, home or abroad. The additional 7,000 Euro in tax is not just "a few bob" to me I am afraid and I understand you cannot buy a car unless you are resident? Trying to save on exorbitant rental charges.....
Old Mar 13th 2013, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

If you elect to take residency you will have 18 months from the date ofyour act of purchase to do the paperwork. If you then spend more than 183 days a year in Italy you will perforce be resident, and you would probably have to speak to hte pensions department about having your pension paid direct to Italy. You wouldnt need health insurance as a pensioner, you go straight into the ASL Italian system, and as you rightly say you do need residence in order to buy a car - so given the savings you could make, it could be worth your while, but you would still be eligible for IVIE on your half of the UK house until it is sold.