Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cost of immigrating

Cost of immigrating

Old Mar 7th 2013, 10:15 am
Just Joined

ad132 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of immigrating

Hello ... in the process of saving money to move to NZ. Secured a job in Tuaranga and have budgeted and researched on costs but always good to get a first hand account on how much money people saved and spent to immigrate! I have flights paid for, first month accom/car. Im not talking living costs as such like food shopping etc but just initital set up costs involved with shipping/visas etc

thanks in advance
Old Mar 7th 2013, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of immigrating

The figure often bandied about including flights for say a family of four is GBP10-12k.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Here's our costs so far for two adults, one toddler;

Flights; £4,400
Visa Application; £800*
Medical for Visa Application; £160**
Chest X-Ray for Visa Appilcation; £50**
Police Certificate for Visa Application; £100***
Shipping costs; £3,000 (inc. insurance)****

* Visa required for only me and was for indefinite Permenent Residency. The wife and child are dual UK/NZ citizens. Price will vary depending on what you're applying for.

** Again, only relates to me. The other two didn't need to do this.

*** My wife DID need to do a poilce check in the UK to support my application.

**** Obviously shipping costs relate to how much you're shipping. We're not shipping a great deal of stuff to be honest.

I think that's it so far.

Oh, and remember to get your British passport as up to date as possible. You don't want to have a 2 year visa stuck in there, only to realise you need to renew your passport in 15 months time ...
Old Mar 7th 2013, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

bdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to all

Good point on the Bitish passport, I never thought of this, thanks!
Old Mar 7th 2013, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bdglm3
Good point on the Bitish passport, I never thought of this, thanks!
This piece of advice is gold, although it didn't actually affect me, my passport had nearly 8 years left on it when the 'bluey' went in. But many have been stung by this scenario.

Apologies if I'm stating the bleedin' obivous, but this goes for the whole family. Or at least those who require a visa.

Also, Simonsi pointed out; for god sake take copies of all passports and visas when they're done. If you've got no record of them, you put yourself in a difficult position if passports go missing.

NOTE TO SELF: You need to do this, Tommy ...

Last edited by TommyLuck; Mar 7th 2013 at 1:03 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for replies .... someone mentioned passport to me couple weeks back, hadnt thought about it, but checked and not had it long so years left on it! Hopefully will keep shipping costs down, not got a huge lot bringing over, was looking at maybe just doing a 20 ft container ... will be just me and gf so as long as she doesnt pack to much should be safe lol
Old Mar 7th 2013, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

My medical was £300 incl chest x ray, ITA £800 ish. Think, visa (temp) £180 and full £1200 (I think) Police check £100ish, shipping £4000 ish

Would need to look it up for exact costs.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 8:19 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

We took the minimalist approach, sold everything and went travelling before we arrived with only our backpacks. Stayed in a hostel for a couple of months until the first paycheck came through.

It was a fun, exciting time.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ad132
Hello ... in the process of saving money to move to NZ. Secured a job in Tuaranga and have budgeted and researched on costs but always good to get a first hand account on how much money people saved and spent to immigrate! I have flights paid for, first month accom/car. Im not talking living costs as such like food shopping etc but just initital set up costs involved with shipping/visas etc

thanks in advance
It's more than you would think originally. There's always something it seems that you need that you haven't shipped or whatever. I would research and come up with a figure then add 50%. 10-12k seems way too low in my experience but then it depends on your family size.

For us, flights: 3.5k, shipping: 2.8k, visas+meds: 3k roughly. So that's 9k+ and that's only half of it.
We for example had nothing to sleep on until our ship docked and got through MAF. In the end, we ended up buying matresses, saucepans, crockery etc. Always budget for the unexpected. Our container getting through MAF for example got delayed... so what were we to do except buy a whole load of stuff.
When we got here someone who we got to know who also emigrated told us that you should expect to waste money at first in getting set up. It's just one of those things that you have to put down as a unavoidable cost.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
We took the minimalist approach, sold everything and went travelling before we arrived with only our backpacks. Stayed in a hostel for a couple of months until the first paycheck came through.

It was a fun, exciting time.
Sounds fun. If we ever end up coming over it'll be a few suitcases and maybe a few boxes. Other than that we dont have anything else worth bringing.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 8:45 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

yes once you've paid the visa costs, shipping costs, etc to get out here you then have the costs as mentioned for MAF.
Then you need Bond if renting, something to sleep/sit on. don't underestimate how not like camping it is when its 4-8wks before your stuff gets here. If I had known how it was going to affect me I would of got furniture off of Mr Rental and not just the washer dryer.
We bought a fridge freezer before ours got here so now have 2 but you can rent them.
Heaters if you're coming in winter and don't get a place with any heating. we had to buy 3 and borrowed 2.
Cost of getting places, possibly new sim cards.
Have money available for medical costs
Old Mar 8th 2013, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

In order to avoid these shenanigans my family and I are going to travel for two months through Canada, The US and Australia.

I figured that I may as well be ferreting around the globe waiting for our stuff, rather than sitting in one place waiting for our stuff.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Yes can imagine is going to cost more than I have budgeted so why its always good to hear from people that have done it. I have flights payed for me by company, as well as first month accomodation and car so im hoping our stuff will arrive by time need to start looking at renting. So fingers crossed that keeps some of the cost down. They putting £1,500 towards costs as well.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Nice!! I don't get any help at all from my employers
Old Mar 8th 2013, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by M_and_M
Nice!! I don't get any help at all from my employers
Did they offer you the chance to go to NZ with work?

Or, did an opportuniy arise in NZ with your company that you put your hand up for?

Apologies if you've explained this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.