Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Breathalysers RIP ?

Breathalysers RIP ?

Old Nov 27th 2012, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of
Default Breathalysers RIP ?

http://www.europe1.fr/France/Vers-la...toire-1325915/

Who's up for a class action for refunds, if you were daft enough to buy them in the first place of course
Old Nov 27th 2012, 9:18 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Breathalysers RIP ?

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er

Who's up for a class action for refunds, if you were daft enough to buy them in the first place of course
Just wait for your next birthday party and save on balloons.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er

That's very true, there are now many who want to claim back the charges for the 'gadget' that they have already unnecessarily purchased. Must confess we have one in each car as theoretically one could have been fined from 1 Nov if stopped and found to be without one - at least that was the plan.
The factory who produced the breathalyser kit had to take on some 200+ staff to meet the increase in demand, and it was expected that at least half of those were to be retained full time. They were interviewed yesterday and understandably were really 'hissed-off' now that they would probably loose their jobs as a result of the now left-wing government U-turn. Politics! A dirty game to be into - especially in France at the moment......
Must check eBay to see if there are thousands of breathalyser kits up for sale from motorists who visited France from July this year.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 9:06 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
That's very true, there are now many who want to claim back the charges for the 'gadget' that they have already unnecessarily purchased. Must confess we have one in each car as theoretically one could have been fined from 1 Nov if stopped and found to be without one - at least that was the plan.
The factory who produced the breathalyser kit had to take on some 200+ staff to meet the increase in demand, and it was expected that at least half of those were to be retained full time. They were interviewed yesterday and understandably were really 'hissed-off' now that they would probably loose their jobs as a result of the now left-wing government U-turn. Politics! A dirty game to be into - especially in France at the moment......
Must check eBay to see if there are thousands of breathalyser kits up for sale from motorists who visited France from July this year.
We got an electronic one, Although they are a lot cheaper outside of France, It's quite amusing in a sad way to sit and drink beer and refine how much you can drink till you hit the over the limit point.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Chti Anglais is an unknown quantity at this point

I had to hire a car last weekend and was told that the requirement for the breathalyser was deferred to March next year, rather than cancelled is this so?
Old Nov 28th 2012, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Chti Anglais is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, I just read the link, I guess the postponement looks as though it might turn in to a total cancellation after review.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 1:38 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

For those who would like an English version:
http://www.connexionfrance.com/Minis...w-article.html
Old Nov 30th 2012, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

You couldn't make it up could you..........

Fortunately when we travelled through France last year in July, we couldn't find any for sale. The only place we saw any was on the ferry from Calais to Dover and I thought they were too expensive so I didn't buy!
Old Nov 30th 2012, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petew
You couldn't make it up could you..........

Fortunately when we travelled through France last year in July, we couldn't find any for sale. The only place we saw any was on the ferry from Calais to Dover and I thought they were too expensive so I didn't buy!
You're right, it's so crazy, it's true - politically!
With the current government, and the previous - you'd better believe it. Anything can happen.
I've just been reading that according to one UMP source, Sarkosy has asked F. Fillon and J.F.Cope to find a solution to their current differences before Tuesday. He's reported to have told them to find a solution or he will declare publicly that they are disqualified to run a large party.
It never rains, but it pours in French politics.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 4:12 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Just seen a note suggestion €11 fine for not carrying a kit starting from March 2013. Some continuity might be helpful.
Also chatter about zero alcohol level fro young drivers 18-24 years.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cjm
Just seen a note suggestion €11 fine for not carrying a kit starting from March 2013. Some continuity might be helpful.
Also chatter about zero alcohol level fro young drivers 18-24 years.
I read the same.
Proposal for young drivers:- http://www.lefigaro.fr/actualite-fra...urs-cibles.php

Also in the latest edition of one of the consumer magazines (think it was Que Choisir), there's a comparison between 12 different Ethylotest products - a number of which were considered useless!
I saw this as I passed a newsagent yesterday, but haven't yet read the article. I will though at the public library within a day or two, and report back on which ones to beware of.

Regarding the fiasco of initially introducing this in July 2012 and then having a leniency period and kick-off date of 1st Nov (due to public unawareness and insufficient supply of breathaliser kits to the public), resulting in further postponement until 1st March 2013, I've just read a great comment from a French forum user:-
"Personnellement je préfererais un détecteur de conneries, dans la boite à gants, parceque en ce moment, elles diffusent par rafales...."
(I'd prefer to have a bullsh*t detector in the glove box, because right now, they (the government) broadcast in bursts .....)
Old Dec 29th 2012, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

White Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond repute

Feeling ever so smug now, having not bought one. I recall the mayhem with all the people desperate to comply doing the headless chicken routine trying to find somewhere to buy one whatever the cost. The ferry companies made fat profits in the panic. I guess all the surplus unsold stock could go into next year's christmas crackers as a joke.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 11:57 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by White Trash
Feeling ever so smug now, having not bought one. I recall the mayhem with all the people desperate to comply doing the headless chicken routine trying to find somewhere to buy one whatever the cost. The ferry companies made fat profits in the panic. I guess all the surplus unsold stock could go into next year's christmas crackers as a joke.
I think you've hit on a post Christmas 'parlour' game. Who's more smashed, Granny? Aunt Edna? neighbour Percy or 'mum' who started early in the kitchen? Place your bets, now all blow hard ......
Old Dec 29th 2012, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjm
I think you've hit on a post Christmas 'parlour' game. Who's more smashed, Granny? Aunt Edna? neighbour Percy or 'mum' who started early in the kitchen? Place your bets, now all blow hard ......
Yes we tried that one - but we were all too smashed to use the bl**dy things