Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Electrician - Any suggestions on the best places to look for work?

Electrician - Any suggestions on the best places to look for work?

Old Oct 31st 2012, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

simonmoon99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician - Any suggestions on the best places to look for work?

Hey everyone,

Just a quick one to put a 'feeler' out there, Ive just received my limited license and applying for full registration soon. I was just wondering if any of you guys knew of any 'decent electrical outfits out there in the Christchurch area that I could apply for or if any of you fine gentlemen/ladies have any electrical positions available yourselves (domestic, commercial) as currently I work for a building company as I am an experienced builder also but want to turn my attention back to the sparky side of things while I get my head around the 'interesting' kiwi wiring

Like I said, just testing the water
Old Nov 5th 2012, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

dannyc2thab is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrician - Any suggestions on the best places to look for work?

Hi mate,

I'm in the process of completing my sparky NVQ3 in the UK & have a few other quals/quite a bit of experience as well, im poss looking to come over to NZ with my oh within the next yr & was wondering if the process is more or less the same as OZ for skills assessments & obtaining licences in order to get the NZ visa??
Old Nov 5th 2012, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

How old are you mate, generally its alot easier I have found
Old Nov 5th 2012, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Hi Mate,

Im 33 & have spent time in Ruapehu in the North Island & a few months in the South spread over most places about a yr ago. Dying to get back tho & if poss help out with rebuilding in Christchurch as been told there's obviously a ton of work there.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Try Bunac mate.... registration opens again in January and its up to 35 for 2 year ********* once your here you will get a visa easy
Old Nov 5th 2012, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Cheers for reply n info mate thought BUNAC thing only applied to Canada, will have a look into it nice one. RE work i've been looking online at contractors thru out CChurch as well as government projects for the rebuild & which tenders they've accepted so mite be worth a look pal on the government websites. Cheers..
Old Nov 5th 2012, 8:58 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Bunac New Zealand - click the link

Stronger Christchurch
has names of main contractors. You may wish to contact them to find out which electrical companies have been contracted to do works.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

jn100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Electrician - Any suggestions on the best places to look for work?

Hi, im in the UK but am considering a move to Christchurch for a few months and want to get some sparky work while im there. I recently attended the overseas expo in London and at the NZ stand the guy there told me i would have no problem finding work in Christchurch as a spark; he told me i should go over on a holiday visa, find a job (he says it would be easy) and then i could apply for a temporary working visa. Would it really be as easy as this!

The issue i have is about qualifications ect and how they would be viewed in NZ. Im qualified to c&G pt 1 and 2 (2360) but dont have NVQ 3, i have been working in UK as a electrician/improver and have more than 12 years experience.

Would it be easy enough to come to NZ and find work as an electrician/improver ? I dont want to set up my own buisness, sign off work ect, just want to work temporarily for someone else.

Also, while im here, is there a building boom in NZ right now, and is the place really as boring as all that!

I realise this post may sound a bit to the point, but thats basically what i want to do, come over for a short while on a working holiday. Thanks in advance for any response
Old Nov 26th 2012, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

lledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nice

Hi,
Myself and my wife are considering a move to NZ but don't really know where to start. We were looking into Australia recently so I hope the process for an electrician to get recognised is easier in NZ!
I am a fully qualified electrician (having served my four year apprenticeship doing Industrial Installations in Ireland). I have one year's work experience in addition to this. Will I need to do any exams to be recognised in NZ?
My wife qualified as a Primary School Teacher last year and is currently full-time teaching in a school in Ireland. This is regarded as her DIP/probation year. We have heard that Primary School Teaching is not on the skill shortage list but that Early Childhood Education is, and that she might be able to do this. Will she have to do any exams in NZ?
Will we find it easy to get work in NZ? What locations should we consider? What are our visa options?
Sorry for all of the questions. We're really excited about emigrating but the whole process can be quite daunting! Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all

Hello

I might be able to help as my husband is an electrician and I'm a teacher. We just arrived in NZ in August on a residents visa and we looked into Oz first too!

First of all, if you want to move here, I would advise that you be the primary visa applicant as electricians are on the shortage list. Have you done a points test on the immi website? This is your first port of call.

If you think you are eligible for a visa, you would need to apply to the EWRB (NZ electrician licence board) for your limited licence. You do this by filling out a form on their website.

You then send them all your qualifications, and all being well, they will send you a letter saying you will be able to get a limited licence. (YOU NEED THIS FOR YOUR VISA APP.)

We then managed to find a job offer, from the UK. This will speed up your visa app.

If you finally arrive here, you will then need to do a regs exam and a practical exam. My OH is doing that at the moment - it takes 2 weeks and if you pass - you have your full licence!! (So I really think it is easier to gain your licence than Oz).

Re: teaching. I'm not 100% sure but ECE teaching jobs USUALLY ask for you to be ECE qualified though legally your wife may be able to work in ECE.

Teaching jobs are thin on the ground BUT I am high school trained, fresh out of uni, having done my PGDE and not my probationary year and I have been inundated with primary teaching relief work which I am loving. We're in rural Taranaki, I can't speak for the major cities...

Hope that helped - any more questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best!
HeatherGirl
Old Nov 27th 2012, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all

Quick addition:

Your wife would apply to the NZ Qualifications Authority to have her qualifications assessed and simultaneously apply to the NZ teaching council which would probably grant her provisional teaching registration. With that she can apply for jobs.

H.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

crumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to behold

If you finally arrive here, you will then need to do a regs exam and a practical exam. My OH is doing that at the moment - it takes 2 weeks and if you pass - you have your full licence!! (So I really think it is easier to gain your licence than Oz).

Heather girl.

My OH is doing this course too. They have probably spoken!!! Small world eh.

Anna
Old Nov 27th 2012, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

lledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nice

Originally Posted by crumpy10

Heather girl.

My OH is doing this course too. They have probably spoken!!! Small world eh.

Anna
Hi Anna,

It is undoubtedly an easier path for me in NZ, but I think it is unlikely that my wife would get work anywhere near where most of the electrical work is (ChCh).

Hope both OHs pass with flying colours. I'm sure they will. Good luck!
Old Nov 28th 2012, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Hiya Crumpy10

Is he in Rotorua? Small world indeed! I think OH is finding it harder than he expected - seems like alot of work. Fingers crossed for them both eh?

LLedlledlled - you may be right about teaching jobs in ChCh - think they are planning to merge schools in that area so there may be teachers out of jobs.

Taranaki has some electrician jobs - it doesn't seem to have been hit by the recession as much as other places due to the dairy and oil industries here.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 4:58 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

hey all

All building trades are suffering here at the moment. No-one that I know has had a full years work this year. But that's not to say that there isn't jobs, 'cos there is. Problem is that there are a few going after them and wages are low.

Best areas to look I'd say is New Plymouth, (heather girl is right there) Anywhere where there are JAFA's and C/C.(But I know that even there it's by the day)