Barbados Citizenship

Old Oct 1st 2012, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

Lynne 8958 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Barbados Citizenship

Hi I am British and looking to move to the island with my partner (Bajan) in the future, can anyone let me know in plain English, besides marrying him what is thre procedure for becoming a citizen, Many thanks Lynne
Old Oct 1st 2012, 7:37 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barbados Citizenship

To my knowledge apart from marriage you would have to seek at least 5-7 years legal residence on the island prior to seeking citizenship..legal status includes work permits and special residence (usually for retired)

Getting a 6 months visitors visa is a chore let alone citizenship...even with marriage you have to be married about 3 years before you can get your interview for citizenship
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 12:24 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

and to add to what Serendipidy has said, even after the 7 years of living in Barbados with all the right workpermits etc, you are NOT guaranteed automatic citizenship (or anything for that matter).. have 2 couples who are friends.. each family with 2 bajan born children who were denied citizenship or residency after the 7 years .. one family had to leave the island because the dads place of business was denied a work permit for him and the other family has finally gotten their residency (or citizenship, can't remember which) after about 12 or 13 years of living and working here.. sooo..

and.. as said.. even with marriage you have to wait for it.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

BlueMooon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lynne 8958
Hi I am British and looking to move to the island with my partner (Bajan) in the future, can anyone let me know in plain English, besides marrying him what is thre procedure for becoming a citizen, Many thanks Lynne
Do you want citizen or a permanent residence ?
to get a permanent residence -when you are married- you have to go for health checks, provide police certificates of characters from every country you have lived before etc etc.
All this can take up to 2 years or longer. Best chances are if you have a good education, are younger, a local company want to hire you, because
you are specialized etc all that helps. If you have something to "offer" what is needed or a plus for the economy. Makes sence, Because once you got a permanent residence, you are elidgable for the free health care etc. Depends from case to case. - hope that helps - I got a permanent residence, I was 35 yrs. had a University diploma, a companie's letter that they want to employ me, I had to go for an interview with my husband. I got the permanent residence (which incl. the workpermit) in 6 month, which was extremly fast. AND it is 13 years ago!!! But also at that time people usually had to wait a minimum of 1 year.

Last edited by BlueMooon; Oct 5th 2012 at 7:46 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Pasty is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lynne 8958, I have recently acquired Barbadian Citizenship by virtue of marriage. The whole process took 2 years, though we had been married 14 years before I applied. I understand that this should enable my wife and I to live and work in Barbados.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:53 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Pasty......it actually doesn't matter in Barbados how long you have been married prior to applying for residency or citizenship.. the process still takes a while. I'm amazed you got it in 2 years.. the time at this point (from what every one else has said) is about 3 years.. but usually the spouse who is applying can get something called a Reside and Work, while the process is being done.

Have you moved to the island as yet?? and have you located a teaching job as you had asked before.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Pasty is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sunniebgi,

I have not arrived in Barbados yet. I have been writing speculatively for Teaching jobs in Barbados, and redecorating my house here in the U.K. with view to renting it out while we re in Barbados. So far the response has been positive, but I could really do with securing a position before comitting myself to leaving the U.K. I have considered simply renting out our U.K. house and looking for a job once we have arrived in Barbados but I am not sure how we would cope financially.
Old May 5th 2013, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

britjax is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lynne 8958
Getting Citizenship or permanent residence on BIM becomes increasingly difficult nowadays. My German hubby was told it would be quicker for him to get citizenship but Germany does not allow dual citizenship. During that period he left the island at least 4 times after 6 months after that just applied for extensions and so we waited out the 5 years until he finally got permanent residence. We had been married for 6 years at the time and we got married on BIM so the authorities had no reason to dispute the marriage certificate!
Old May 7th 2013, 2:42 am

I have friends who have been here over 15 years.. Bajan born children.. entrepreneur who brings money into the island.. only in the last 2 months have they received recognition and been given residency.. they now have status.. thank goodness. He has been getting work permits for himself to work at his own company ever 3 years ever since they moved here..

it isn't easy.. regardless of who is in charge.. and what you have done for the greater good of this island..
Old May 28th 2013, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

mindyb60 is an unknown quantity at this point

Getting citizenship can take time. I have been married to my husband, who is a UK born Bajan, for 3.5 years. It took him 6 years to get his citizenship based on descent (both his mother and father were born in Barbados). I have requested citizenship and have been given a 3 year Right to Reside and Work about 18 months ago. But by time they had sent this through, I had already started my degree. As we have now bought our house in Barbados, I will be chasing up my citizenship once the Reside and Work expires, as I am hoping to open a small Montessori school there, if I can get all the paperwork completed.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

ajala is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a reside and work for 3 years and I would like to know how long can I be out of the Country at one time... I will be going to school in America.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Ant1962 is an unknown quantity at this point

New to the forum. I am UK born to Bajan parents and I wanted to apply for citizenship by descent. My question is I found out that my parents were not married when I was born although they subsequently married 2 years later. Do i still meet the criteria to apply?
Old Jul 15th 2013, 10:13 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

If both parents are Barbadian citizens I dont see marriage being an issue/requirement but let see if anyone can advise you otherwise...u might be better off ringing the Barbadian High Comission in London and posing that question as any feedback here is opinion or experience where laws might have changed
Old Jul 15th 2013, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Ant1962 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for responding. I did contact the BHC in London but the passport section was on voicemail. I also tried sending an email but the address was probably incorrect so it failed. I will not give up so if anyone has an email address i could use it would be greatly appreciated. On reflection it should not matter about the marital status of my parents because I presume that I could apply for citizenship by descent based on one parent.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

ajala is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think your parents marital status really matters.. Just as long as they are both born Bajans

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.