Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Renewing a UK passport

Renewing a UK passport

Old Sep 4th 2012, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

suelawrence is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renewing a UK passport

My passport expires beg May 2013. I am travelling to Orlando at the end of Sept and need to travel back to the UK mid Nov returning late Dec when my passport will have less than 6 months.

My problem is that Washington need the photo's to be signed (something you dont need in the UK when renewing a passport if you haven't changed much). The person signing has to be a British Citizen which is impossible as I dont know any Brits in Canada or a Canadian of a profession that I have known for more than 2 years also impossible as I have only lived here 12 months.

Does anyone know if I can get the photo's signed in the UK and travel back to Canada with less than 6 months on the passport as I have a PR card.

My only other option would be to book a return ticket and hope I can get an appointment in London when I return hoping they have an available slot.

Last edited by suelawrence; Sep 4th 2012 at 4:45 pm. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Sep 4th 2012, 4:38 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing a UK passport

Originally Posted by suelawrence
My passport expires beg May 2013. I am travelling to Orlando at the end od Sept and need to travel back to the UK mid Nov returning late Dec when my passport will have less than 6 months.

My problem is that Washington need the photo's to be signed (something you dont need in the UK when renewing a passport if you haven't changed much). The person signing has to be a British Citizen which is impossible as I dont know any Brits in Canada or a Canadian of a profession that I have known for more than 2 years also impossible as I have only lived here 12 months.

Does anyone know if I can get the photo's signed in the UK and travel back to Canada with less than 6 months on the passport as I have a PR card.

My only other option would be to book a return ticket and hope I can get an appointment in London when I return hoping they have an available slot.
No problem.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

suelawrence is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE
No problem.
Sorry does that mean I can.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can travel back on the passport with less than 6 months as you have a PR card.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 9:39 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

think the 6 months rule is if you are a visitor, if you have PR then you can stay
Old Sep 5th 2012, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suelawrence
My passport expires beg May 2013. I am travelling to Orlando at the end of Sept and need to travel back to the UK mid Nov returning late Dec when my passport will have less than 6 months.

I'm not sure you even need a counter signature. Read this:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...ntersignatures

"Who needs a counter signature:
- All first time adult applications
- All applications for replacement passport to replace lost, stolen, or damaged passport applications
- All first time child applications
- Children’s renewal applications up to the age of 12
- Renewing a passport when your appearance has changed so much that it would be hard to recognise you from the photo in your last or current passport
"

Since your application is a renewal, it looks like you shouldn't need a counter signature unless your appearance has changed dramatically from your previous passport. Also, even if you do need a counter signature, there is a workaround for applicants who can't provide one:

"If you are unable to provide a counter signature, because you have recently moved to the country of application or are short-term visitors, provided our consular staff have no doubts regarding your identity you may not need to provide a counter signature. Proof of identity may include your previous passport bearing a photograph showing that you are clearly the same person, or any other photographic ID may be acceptable."

Last edited by MarylandNed; Sep 5th 2012 at 2:49 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 2:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

My recent renewal of my UK passport via Washington did not require the pics to be countersigned, and my old passport was at least 5 years expired (so 15 years since the old pictures)
Old Sep 5th 2012, 3:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

If all else fails you can make a declaration in front of a notary that you don't know anyone who can sign.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, you don't need the photos signed unless your appearance has changed dramatically since your last passport. I'm doing ours at the moment.

If you do need a signature, it does not have to be a Brit, they will take any commonwealth, Irish or EU of certain occupations, failing that, then someone who holds a passport in the country you live in. they just have to have known you for 2 years, although they can even get around that if need be it seems - http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...ntersignatures
Old Sep 5th 2012, 8:58 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Renewed mine last year. They dont need to be counter signed.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

If you are travelling back to the UK, another option is to apply there in person. You pay a premium but at least you get the passport quickly.

My friend who travels frequently for work and cannot afford to be without a passport just makes an appointment flies in with one passport and then flies out with his new one.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

wiganfem is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughter's passport runs our in March, i already have the form, and got the counter signatory from the UK before i left in June so have all that, as she is only 8. My question is what happens to her visa that is in her old passport? Do i leave it in, take it out, will she get a new one with her new passport number on? I know it will run out when her passport does, but i intend renewing her passport in the next few weeks. Will i then i have to contact CIC for a new visa with the new passport number etc and get it extended?

Hope someone knows as i have looked online but can't find the answers, and im sure someone on here must have had the experience.

thanks
Old Sep 26th 2012, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wiganfem
My daughter's passport runs our in March, i already have the form, and got the counter signatory from the UK before i left in June so have all that, as she is only 8. My question is what happens to her visa that is in her old passport? Do i leave it in, take it out, will she get a new one with her new passport number on? I know it will run out when her passport does, but i intend renewing her passport in the next few weeks. Will i then i have to contact CIC for a new visa with the new passport number etc and get it extended?

Hope someone knows as i have looked online but can't find the answers, and im sure someone on here must have had the experience.

thanks
What is your daughter's status in Canada?
Old Sep 26th 2012, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britsnake
If you are travelling back to the UK, another option is to apply there in person. You pay a premium but at least you get the passport quickly.

My friend who travels frequently for work and cannot afford to be without a passport just makes an appointment flies in with one passport and then flies out with his new one.
I did put it in another thread, but we had ours back from Washington/UK within 2 weeks, including postage in both directions. They are very quick at the moment.

I had the option of doing it in the UK, but couldn't take the risk that it wouldn't be back in time for my return flight.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 1:08 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wiganfem

thanks
You get the old passport back. I think you may have to specify that you want it back. I renewed a couple of months ago (via Washington). The new one arrived in about a month. The old one came separately a couple of days later. Security reasons, I think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.