Gap Year

Old Aug 13th 2012, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

rugbyali is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gap Year

So I'm planning a gap year for in about 12-18 months time, originally I wanted to visit USA but a gap year there seems to be a non-starter. So now I'm looking at Canada now. I am a good rugby player and want to play at a decent standard whilst I'm in Canada. I hear Vancouver is a good area for rugby so I'm going to start contacting some clubs there soon. I haven't looked into gap years in Canada too much yet, but why not start here. So I wondered what visa's would be available to me which are suitable for a gap year, and what they would enable me to do (working, maximum length of stay, etc). Also, as I'll only be 18-19 years old and most likely won't have a car what is public transport like in Vancouver.

Thank you for your time.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 12:04 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gap Year

You need a working holiday visa. It is called an International Experience Class (IEC) visa. If you look in the immigration sub forum there as a huge thread about it. They are for one year but you can apply for a second visa.

It is an open work permit so you can do any work you are qualified for.

As long as you stay reasonable close to the centre it is quite feasible to get around by public transit.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Read this link regarding the IEC.
The reason rugby is popular in BC is that the men in that province like to play with queer shaped balls.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...ex.aspx?view=d
Old Aug 14th 2012, 3:34 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbyali
So I'm planning a gap year for in about 12-18 months time, originally I wanted to visit USA but a gap year there seems to be a non-starter. So now I'm looking at Canada now. I am a good rugby player and want to play at a decent standard whilst I'm in Canada. I hear Vancouver is a good area for rugby so I'm going to start contacting some clubs there soon. I haven't looked into gap years in Canada too much yet, but why not start here. So I wondered what visa's would be available to me which are suitable for a gap year, and what they would enable me to do (working, maximum length of stay, etc). Also, as I'll only be 18-19 years old and most likely won't have a car what is public transport like in Vancouver.

Thank you for your time.
If you live in Kitsilano, you'll be able to walk to Connaught Park easily to play. Other than that, you'll either have to live further out or own a car.

I guess you could use transit to get to some but that could be a few busses and a bit of walking. Not ideal after a training session or if you're trying to get there on time.