Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

bringing the dogs with you

bringing the dogs with you

Old Jul 25th 2012, 7:30 am
Just Joined

boogersthebugler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bringing the dogs with you

does anyone have any information about the details of emigrating and taking the family pets with you. I have two dogs and i am looking for info about the timescale of quarantine, the cost and what you have to do before you leave the uk.

any information or websites to look at would be a big help
Old Jul 25th 2012, 7:57 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bringing the dogs with you

lots of people have done it, so sure some will be along soon to give you their experiences and advise.

maybe worth looking here http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=pets
Old Jul 25th 2012, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

stephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by boogersthebugler
does anyone have any information about the details of emigrating and taking the family pets with you. I have two dogs and i am looking for info about the timescale of quarantine, the cost and what you have to do before you leave the uk.

any information or websites to look at would be a big help

animalhealth.defra.gov.uk/

biosecurity.govt.nz/enter/personal/pets

these 2 links will take you to the respective govt sites

I brought my 2 over in august last year. maximilo expensifoldus!!

Mrs Fychan's link will take you to the latest comments on the forum.

pm me if you find you are struggling
best of luck
Old Jul 25th 2012, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

crumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: bringing the dogs with you

We used Golden Arrow just last month, they are in Lydbury, on the Welsh border. They were absolutely fantastic! I can't rate them highly enough.

They had our lab, Jack dog, for 15 days prior to flying, then put him on the plane, and job done, there were a few hitches, like the pilot in LA had to turn the plane around as he was seriously ill!

They did everything for me, all I had to do was take Jack to my vet and get him to draw the bloods administer the flea and worming treatment, then send it via royal mail special post to Golden arrow.

As I said, they were brilliant and Jack was incredibly well looked after! I told GA that any time I could recommended them that I would!

On this side we used Shadolans quarantine kennels in Levin. They too were fantastic! If I needed to use kennels again, it would be with them in a heart beat! And trust me, my dog is very special to us! Just ask my hubby!!!

Hope this helps?

Anna
Old Jul 25th 2012, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

I used Ryslip and they were brilliant. I had been let down by another company and within 24 hours, they collected my dog, boarded him for 26 days and got him into ChCh on 28th Dec (just before the regs changed). They organised all the blood tests too.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 2:20 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

What's the current quarantine regs here in NZ ?
Old Jul 27th 2012, 2:48 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
What's the current quarantine regs here in NZ ?
don't care - if they bark too much, end up on the beach after daylight saving or crap and the owner don't clear it up then I have the number of a couple of guys in Welsford who can sort it once their home detention is done......

............joking, I love all dogs
but not all dog owners!
Old Jul 27th 2012, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

crumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to behold
Red face Re: bringing the dogs with you

It's 10 days Bevs.

It's just for the MAF man and bio security lady (not being sexist!) to clear them for all fleas and ticks plus worms.

Not that they should have any as they all get extra doses before they come out....

Hope this helps.

Anna
Old Jul 28th 2012, 11:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
don't care - if they bark too much, end up on the beach after daylight saving or crap and the owner don't clear it up then I have the number of a couple of guys in Welsford who can sort it once their home detention is done......

............joking, I love all dogs
but not all dog owners!
Old Jul 29th 2012, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

higgy2 is an unknown quantity at this point

We used Golen Arrow Shipping and would recommend them as they know
dogs and look after your them. Tel 01588 680 414

As we are in the Hamilton area we used Pethaven first class service contact Jane on [email protected]

I hope you have an understanding UK Vet as there are a lot of Hoops to jump through and dates of jabs and things are critical.

Word of caution you get a list of things to do from Golden Arrow but Pethaven need a few more jabs for MAFF NZ.

Just talk it though with both Companies.
Shane aka Higgy2.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

mazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud of

I too can recommend Golden Arrow, We boarded our dog with them for 2 weeks before he flew out, they took care of everything for us and made the process very stress free
Old Jul 29th 2012, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

I am also a golden arrow advocate.

It was very simple. Our vet did the first bit, theirs did the second bit and they label it all up and give you really clear instructions.

Our boys arrived none the worse for their travels and had obviously been very well looked after in the 2 weeks they stayed with Golden Arrow while we found somewhere to live.

They took a wee bit to settle, but now their lugs are flapping happily as they run along the beach (not in summer though!).
Old Jul 30th 2012, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

RachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to all

Definitely check out Defra. We have just had our cats vaccinated for rabies, I think dogs now need the same (as of 1st Jan), and 1st vaccine needs to be done at least 6 months before you travel and no more than 1year. It might be just cats but I doubt it. Check out....

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter/personal/pets/

Hope this helps xxx
Old Aug 1st 2012, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

ohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to all

We used Pet Air UK in December 2011. We were due to come to NZ in Feb/March and thought we had loads of time to get the dogs sorted out. By fluke my husband was looking at a forum (much like this one!) in his lunch break and saw a thread about how the rules were changing for the UK from January 2012 so NZ were tightening their rules. This experience brought our whole move forward to early January giving us a month to pack and move!

I had a crazy couple of hours calling all the companies we'd previously had quotes from in June and Pet Air UK were the only company that didn't want to freak me out more than I already was! I was just really frustrated that we didn't know about it before hand but was told that the rules hadn't had effect until October. It's worth checking all the rules so that you aren't surprised by anything!

The biggest problem that we had was that the only remaining flight available that year was 27th December - the only reason we got it was because our dogs are so small that the size of their joint box was the same size as one large dog! All vets on 27th Dec were closed for us to get the last checks done before driving to Heathrow but we had a really understanding vet that agreed to give us an emergency appointment to sign us off.

The paperwork was all supplied by Pet Air with the dates and timescales for the bloods and tests to be done with a copy being faxed to our vet.

They also made our flight box which we've kept (with the thought that we may need to return!). I was dreading putting them on a plane. One of them is a dreadful traveller in the car and the other is very timid but I needn't have worried.

They arrived at Levin (all arranged and booked through Pet Air) where they needed 10 days quarantine. We agreed with Shado-Lans that they would stay there until we found somewhere to live. They feed the dogs Royal Canin (which is the same as we feed them at home).

I was very worried throughout the whole experience but all in all it was a success and both dogs were fit, healthy and bathed when we collected. I would recommend Pet Air UK and Shado-Lans - they were both fab.