Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Fiance visa and US citizenship

Fiance visa and US citizenship

Old Jul 10th 2012, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

firehawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fiance visa and US citizenship

I was unfortunately taken to court as my ex had made a serious false allegation against me. the allegation itself was very petty but above all it NEVER happened.
I was found not guilty (100%) for both charges that were laid on me. no doubt, it destroyed my life.

so now I am planning to get married to my current partner who lives in the US.

I know pretty much the process of getting a fiance visa and residency but I was alerted by a lawyer that my case isnt straight forward given the fact that I had a court case 2 years ago.

does anyone know roughly what this means and where I stand? even though the court, jury and judge said I was not guilty for both accounts, and that I have statements from the accuser which contridicated a few things (including more false allegations, and a report somewhere I have saying that the one of the many false allegation made were just that - lies).

im confused and no doubt worried :-/
Old Jul 10th 2012, 3:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fiance visa and US citizenship

Originally Posted by firehawk
I know pretty much the process of getting a fiance visa and residency but I was alerted by a lawyer that my case isnt straight forward given the fact that I had a court case 2 years ago.

does anyone know roughly what this means and where I stand?
Impossible to say without knowing what the crime was.

You might want to pay a fee and have a more in-depth consultation with that attorney. Depending on what he says, you might even want to hire him.

Rene
Old Jul 10th 2012, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

firehawk is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks Noorah101. Indeed you are correct. but i thought I would ask here before having to fork out for a lawyer
Old Jul 10th 2012, 4:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by firehawk
thanks Noorah101. Indeed you are correct. but i thought I would ask here before having to fork out for a lawyer
I totally understand wanting to get some laymen's opinions before paying a lawyer....but even as laymen, we can't answer any questions if we don't know what the crime was. Of course you do not have to say in a public forum, that would be understandable too.

Rene
Old Jul 10th 2012, 4:12 pm

At this point, all I can say is that you must be honest on all immigration forms and when talking to all immigration officers. If you were arrested, detained, charged, etc...you must answer yes to any of those questions on any forms and in person. Make sure you have all the paperwork regarding that issue, from court, police, etc.

It may or may not be an issue, depending on the crime. If it is an issue, and the crime was serious, you might need a waiver.

I really would pay for at least a consultation with an attorney who can spell it all out for you. Show him all the relevent paperwork and see what he thinks.

Rene
Old Jul 10th 2012, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

While a consultation with a lawyer is certainly in order (and it sounds as if the OP has already had some kind of contact with a lawyer) and the arrests must be declared, as long as you have all of the court paperwork indicating that you were found not guilty I don't see why this should necessarily be a be a major issue.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 4:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Impossible to say without knowing what the crime was.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7871629

Ian