Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the UK- University fees question

Moving back to the UK- University fees question

Old Jun 26th 2012, 11:07 am
=]

Robw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really nice
Default Moving back to the UK- University fees question

Hi, I have heard even though I'm a UK citizen, I would have to pay international fees unless I have lived in the UK 3 years prior to the course start date.

I left the UK a year ago, and I am considering moving back as I'm not enjoying life over here. This would be a major blow, if it's true? Thanks
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:45 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the UK- University fees question

Originally Posted by Robw4
Hi, I have heard even though I'm a UK citizen, I would have to pay international fees unless I have lived in the UK 3 years prior to the course start date.

I left the UK a year ago, and I am considering moving back as I'm not enjoying life over here. This would be a major blow, if it's true? Thanks
Yes, it's true that to qualify for home fees you should be resident in the UK for the 3 years prior (use the Search function - several past threads on student fees).

However, in your situation you may be able to ask for an exception (though they may require you to be in the country for a year before applying for home fees).

This is quite an unusual situation so different institutions may interpret it differently. It's worth calling (or emailing - GET IT IN WRITING) a few universities to ask them for their interpretation of your situation.

Maybe don't describe your situation as above, but say you "took a gap year" ... I think they'd look at this more favorably, especially if you can show a home connection (UK address for the time you were away - parents, perhaps?).
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I thought UK student fees and international student fees were about the same now.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I thought UK student fees and international student fees were about the same now.
You are right - the headline figure might be similar, but now the key difference is the payment methods available to home students
Old Jun 26th 2012, 3:52 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It varies by university (and of course in Scotland and Wales the picture is very different - not sure about NI).
Old Jun 26th 2012, 3:54 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

You might consider studying in another EU country. Many universities have lower fees than in the UK and offer courses in English.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi If you have been resident in the UK in the last 3 years then you should be classed as a home student, saying that our youngest son has been accepted at a Uni of his choice and has been granted a home student, he has also decided he wants some help towards his fee's (as they have risen this year to the new costs) so has applied to Student Finance and has still been classed as a home student (we have been honest about our whereabouts etc) You should be fine as a family friend of ours has a son who left the UK over a year ago to travel and has applied while on his travels to Uni and has just had his acceptance letter, he arrives home just before the start of the Uni year. All the best
Old Jun 26th 2012, 8:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
You are right - the headline figure might be similar, but now the key difference is the payment methods available to home students
This is key, student loans via the SLC have generally much better repayment options and less hassle than getting private loans and of course get paid direct, so you don't have to faff around and pay your uni fees up front yourself.

Definitely would consider studying else where in the EU though.

Quite a few were doing uni fares across the UK to show what is on offer, couple of big places in France, Germany, Netherlands etc were all offering courses, taught in English for about 3K a year v 9.5K GBP that the UK uni's are now starting to charge.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by nun
You might consider studying in another EU country. Many universities have lower fees than in the UK and offer courses in English.
+1. Netherlands and Sweden offer good courses in English and their degrees are actually affordable without getting lifelong debt into the bargain.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Unless you're going to a good red brick university which will effect your employability, the money you will pay with the new fees is a complete waste of a good debt if you do not at least look at studying elsewhere within the EU. France, or Netherlands for example.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

petrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond repute

From memory, home student fees and overseas student fees can still be quite different depending on the institution. More than £5,000 a year difference at one university I know of, so it's still worth trying to be a home student if you can, as well as the fact that you can get a loan for the money as other posters have pointed out.

I don't honestly think a year's absence is going to disqualify you from being a home student. So many students take a gap year it would be farcical if they refused all those people loans. Just tell them you took a gap year.

Btw, if you were living in an EU country you wouldn't be disqualified anyway.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 12:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petrichor
I don't honestly think a year's absence is going to disqualify you from being a home student. So many students take a gap year it would be farcical if they refused all those people loans. Just tell them you took a gap year.
Gap year is different, because it is based on parental residency and most parents aren't taking a gap year with their kids.

If the move is temporary in nature, the time away can also be sometimes ignored, but it has to be something out of your hands, such as your employer sending you abroad for x amount of time but having definite time of return, or you moving abroad to look after ill relatives.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

petrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Gap year is different, because it is based on parental residency and most parents aren't taking a gap year with their kids.

If the move is temporary in nature, the time away can also be sometimes ignored, but it has to be something out of your hands, such as your employer sending you abroad for x amount of time but having definite time of return, or you moving abroad to look after ill relatives.
Is it? I'm pretty sure the student loan application form asks whether the applicant has been resident in the EU, not the parents.

Anyway, it seems at the discretion of the university as to whether the student is classed as a home student or not. There are posters on this board who don't fit those criteria but have been granted home student status. It seems quite arbitrary.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Just as an additional point of interest where picking a "decent" university you feel your child (or yourself) may benefit from career wise:

If you, as a British citizen, voluntarily choose to approach a university and pay as an International Student, (not use the students loans system) you may find that you can circumvent certain parts of the process. I say "may" because you're offering the uni cash, and we all know how money affects peoples behaviour. (additionally, you won't be counted in the cap for Home students attending the uni, and the uni will consider that too)

With the difference being as little as £3,500 a year, remembering the lack of access to the student loans system, this little piece of information may just help some people who may feel that the "new uni" or "former poly" is not going to help a career (or feel may actually hinder it) and could apply their weight to a red brick uni or oxbridge (providing you are competent of course!)
Old Jul 9th 2012, 2:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beakersful
Just as an additional point of interest where picking a "decent" university you feel your child (or yourself) may benefit from career wise:

If you, as a British citizen, voluntarily choose to approach a university and pay as an International Student, (not use the students loans system) you may find that you can circumvent certain parts of the process. I say "may" because you're offering the uni cash, and we all know how money affects peoples behaviour. (additionally, you won't be counted in the cap for Home students attending the uni, and the uni will consider that too)

With the difference being as little as £3,500 a year, remembering the lack of access to the student loans system, this little piece of information may just help some people who may feel that the "new uni" or "former poly" is not going to help a career (or feel may actually hinder it) and could apply their weight to a red brick uni or oxbridge (providing you are competent of course!)
One of my daughter's friends went to St Andrews uni...he's not British but an American. He is as thick as two short planks and left after 1 1/2 years. I am convinced he only got a place in the first place because he was paying international fees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.